Author Topic: Highly recommended book - Buddha's Brain  (Read 2253 times)

Offline DiamondHeart

• View Profile
Highly recommended book - Buddha's Brain
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
A friend of mine recommended this book and I'm finding it invaluable.

Using proven neuroscience, it explains how your brain works and simple things you can do to change its default behavior to one that leads to a happier you. Right off the bat it explains how the brain is wired to be biased towards negative experiences in order to help our primitive ancestors survive. Those of you who suffer from depression will be happy to know that the optimists of today would have ended up as a dinosaur's happy meal … (I'll take an Oprah Winfrey with large fries to go)

This book is useful for anyone struggling with anxiety or depression but also useful for post flood integration work. I got a copy from my local library - work checking to see if yours has or can get a copy

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Brain-Practical-Neuroscience-Happiness/dp/1572246952

"If you change your brain, you can change your life.

Great teachers like the Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, and Gandhi were all born with brains built essentially like anyone else’s—and then they changed their brains in ways that changed the world. Science is now revealing how the flow of thoughts actually sculpts the brain, and more and more, we are learning that it's possible to strengthen positive brain states.

By combining breakthroughs in neuroscience with insights from thousands of years of mindfulness practice, you too can use your mind to shape your brain for greater happiness, love, and wisdom. Buddha's Brain draws on the latest research to show how to stimulate your brain for more fulfilling relationships, a deeper spiritual life, and a greater sense of inner confidence and worth. Using guided meditations and mindfulness exercises, you'll learn how to activate the brain states of calm, joy, and compassion instead of worry, sorrow, and anger. Most importantly, you will foster positive psychological growth that will literally change the way you live in your day-to-day life.

This book presents an unprecedented intersection of psychology, neurology, and contemplative practice, and is filled with practical tools and skills that you can use everyday to tap the unused potential of your brain and rewire it over time for greater well-being and peace of mind."

Iboga Panacea

Re: Highly recommended book - Buddha's Brain
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
I'll check it out bro.  I could definitely use some spiritual teachings in a crucial time.  Good to know it is especially applicable to Iboga. 

Offline onthepathtohealing

• Read Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
what the hell do you know about spiritual principles you are torturing people

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
what the hell do you know about spiritual principles you are torturing people

onthepath.. who are you referring to in this post?  who is "torturing people?" 

Offline mo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:49:40 AM »
onthepathtohealing needs a hug and lots and lots of love!
in a universe like ours, to beings like us, the idea of a god dying can be quite liberating

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
I agree, just know he'll bite you more times than not. 

Offline Rintrah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I'll check this out as well, thanks.