Author Topic: exercise, brain function and mood  (Read 10354 times)

RavAv

exercise, brain function and mood
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
I have been running schools, counseling
and working with people for 20 years

and i can say with confidence
from experience and observation

that the single most effective way
to increase mental, emotional and physical health
(and either reduce the need or amount of medications)

is

1 - 2 hours a day of physical activity

walking, jogging, running, aerobics, swimming, martial arts, bicycling, etc etc etc
it does not really matter which
just get out and boogie

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:23:52 AM by VaVar »

Offline goatboy

• View Profile
Re: exercise, brain function and mood
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »
I like it.  Thanks Var!

I will take this advice to heart.  Although I already like to stay active, it's not always easily to motivate yourself every single day.
Rise, Run, Feed, Ripen, Wound, Wither, Fall, Rise Again...

fallout330

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
Always a good reminder....now I just have to get out of this chair, and do it!  :D

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
Thanks to Furthur, I get out and boogie pretty often!  :D
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline sister

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
I so need to take this to heart.  I worry about myself during the winter.  Feel so stuck in the house, cant sail, cant take my long walks.  I wish I had the monies to join a Gym.
life is a bowl of fruit, once clean

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
So...is there any way to do this without leaving my chair? I find that physical activities get in the way of my smoking...maybe I should rethink this. Good thread Var!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline crazylife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »
I was always a regular at a gym. Ive got 2 life memberships at gyms in my old town.
But then i began to hate the atmosphere. As steroids became more and more popular, so did the bad attitude/arrogance with it.
So i stay away from gyms now.
Keeping fit at home is possible. Obviously you miss the social side, but you also avoid the agressive meatheads.

These are excellent for chest/tricep strength =  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Swivel-Push-Up-Bars/dp/B003ULP8L2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1298449064&sr=8-1-spell

For back/bicep, one of these = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marcy-TC2000-Powerstation-Pull-Chin/dp/B0015YDRVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1298449131&sr=8-1

For legs i have a very strong rucksack which i put in 20kg of sand. I plan to combine it with a weighted vest, once i get fit/strong enough.

Stomach - Just buy a big of sand and keep reps under 15 to build muscle.

^ Not trying to sound like a 'know it all' , just sharing what works for me.  8)

Offline Cernlion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
Pullup bars are great - here's some youtube channels that inspire me to keep at it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Barbarians2k

http://www.youtube.com/user/nirose9

http://www.youtube.com/user/YouGottaCThis

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
So...is there any way to do this without leaving my chair? I find that physical activities get in the way of my smoking...maybe I should rethink this. Good thread Var!

ROFLMAO.

i am so in that same category.
"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline olio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
I run nearly daily and am in a serious relationship with a 16kg kettlebell that I swing almost religiously. I also have a habit of dropping in on free martial arts classes in the city (it's amazing how many free promotional classes most places will give away to try and win over new students)
Fitness is fun and makes me feel amazing.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
I snowboarded for about 2.5 hours the other day, which is also spiritual for me......this is two days later and I am in a freakishly positive mood.  I am planning my next day(s) on the mountain as soon as time permits here. 

It is hard to motivate to workout unless it's fun for me.....like riding, racquetball, hiking, etc.....so my exercise is spread out a bit.  I like that about myself though.  Gotta have fun with it.

IME, cannabis can easily be combined with any of the above activities if one see fit ;)

Offline fritzerman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:56:56 PM »
I believe that exercise and nutrition can help with mood and brain function. It's an influence  on part of the complex chemical system that runs our bodies. That chemical system plays a big part in addiction and recovery. When I discovered that opiates made me feel normal (able to enjoy life and relationships) I thought I had solved some chemical short circuit I had. I'm talking about a problem that was there before I ever tried a pain pill. I still think this for the most part, but have learned the hard way this isn't a long term solution. I have been off opiates for only a couple weeks and am searching desperately for a substitute, new way of life, a positive attitude approach, vitamins/supplements that feed the endorphin system......anything to help me half way enjoy life again. Yeah, I know we have all searched for this. It's just that nothing has ever seemed to work. Maybe there isn't an answer. or maybe time is the only answer. It seems that many of you find that joy again rather easily. What I'd give to find that joy.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
When I discovered that opiates made me feel normal (able to enjoy life and relationships) I thought I had solved some chemical short circuit I had. I'm talking about a problem that was there before I ever tried a pain pill............It seems that many of you find that joy again rather easily. What I'd give to find that joy.

Just curious, have you started Noopept yet?

I am still trying to find joy Fritzerman.  Find joy in finding joy!  I know exactly what you mean about the pills making you enjoy life and relationships.  On pills, I was able to handle a terrible work situation, show my gf soooo much love, loved getting stuff done at first............until I started looking like a ghost to my family of course, and I couldn't even get that high anymore.  We all know we are fucked up when that happens, when you just take the drug to not get sick...

There is an article posted here (I wish I remember where), but it talks about how our natural opiate system is tied to the way we develop relationships, among the many other functions.  I will try and find it because after reading this article, it made me never want to think about a foreign opiate again.  So we started taking pills, felt better, and now that we have messed with this divine chemistry, we were knocked down a few notches....Be kind to yourself.  It takes more than 2 weeks!    

My last flood was about 2 months ago.  I just started snowboarding again a couple weeks ago, and I have been working up to it with racquetball and light yoga.  Once you push yourself and realize that your body is healing/your mind will follow suit, continuously feeding off that good natural chemistry lab that is operating in a state that at least resembles homeostasis.

Offline fritzerman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
I got off my pity pot this morning. Woke up to a foot of snow and trees down in the yard. Got out the shovel and chainsaw and went to work. It was invigorating. Still, I think there was something in my chemistry that was better this morning--before I even went outside. Wish I could figure out what was different.

I did get the Noopept and tried it right away. Had trouble figuring out how much was 20-30mg. It came with two scoops, one being white and labeled as 15-30mg. I got a bad headache after the 2nd dose and haven't taken since. Maybe I took too much? I generally don't get headaches. That was Saturday.

I did take about 100mg of HCL this morning at 5:30 AM. First MD since the flood. I'm hoping that was the cause of the energy boost and improved outlook. I'm past the sleeping problems and got a good nights sleep also.

Send me that article if you find it. Thanks BlueTiger.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
I believe that exercise and nutrition can help with mood and brain function. It's an influence  on part of the complex chemical system that runs our bodies. That chemical system plays a big part in addiction and recovery

Absolutely - but 99% of every addict I know has always underestimated this essential fact, even when they finally actually 'got it' that, "Holy shit, this is what all those 'normal' or 'regular' people live like". That's me to a 'T'. I AM that guy - I know all this stuff, but knowing is not doing and the gulf between the two can seem fathomless. t plays a HUGE part in recovery, HUGE.

When I discovered that opiates made me feel normal (able to enjoy life and relationships) I thought I had solved some chemical short circuit I had. I'm talking about a problem that was there before I ever tried a pain pill. I still think this for the most part, but have learned the hard way this isn't a long term solution.

Bravo, man! I can see all over your post exactly where you are and it gives me goosebumps: so many of us are reflections of one another - I hate to see anyone hurting or struggling but it is fortunate we can share and learn together at least.
This idea that I had or have a problem 'before I ever tried a pill' has been my opinion too, I have studied it obsessively: genetics, environment, anything or everything that could remotely influence an innate predisposition to be different. And in truth there are some people with inherent neurochemical deficiencies, anything relating to dopaminergic systems could well affect how a person recovers, or even if they recover. But these kinds of things are RARE - super rare, and dangerous for a fellow like me because if I self diagnose that condition, it is curtains. It will 100% kill me. Beware of that kind of thinking my friend, it is naught but a trap, and for my part, I can't afford to be that different.

I have been off opiates for only a couple weeks and am searching desperately for a substitute, new way of life, a positive attitude approach, vitamins/supplements that feed the endorphin system......anything to help me half way enjoy life again. Yeah, I know we have all searched for this. It's just that nothing has ever seemed to work. Maybe there isn't an answer. or maybe time is the only answer. It seems that many of you find that joy again rather easily. What I'd give to find that joy.

Don't hate me for saying this, but: you are right where you are supposed to be. (always hated hearing people tell me that) But it is true - look what you are doing brother, you are sharing with people, reaching out takes balls man, it really does and I am glad you reach out. Keep doing so. We did not get addicted in just a few days or with a few scattered doses, we worked hard at it until we were damned sure we were fucked and that takes time. So does the opposite - yet we are so fortunate to have ibogaine to assist this, without it I sincerely believe some of the people who detoxed using it would never have been able to otherwise. Part of what you are feeling I think is impatience - this is also me reflected - even if we feel crappy, we know we have gotten a head start on clean time away from our DOC - now we want to have everything undone that we did and do everything we didn't do while we were ghosts. There are things you can do, and this kind of communicating is one of them, a very important one, and indeed TIME is the Great Hand and Healer.

I can't in good conscience, advise squat about perpetual healthy living dude, I am, it seems, a slooow learner in this respect, but thankfully others here do know a thing or two ;D
Again I stress, as much for myself as anything else, the difference between knowing and doing is vast and can bring us down if we stare too long at the leap.

Energy levels WILL return, and that will help with mood for sure. I know it feels like forever but you are only just on the other side. Give yourself the chance you fought so hard for.

Check this out, I will include it and other talks by the guy in other boards, but he really knows something. It might comfort you. God (whatever your conception is) bless you man - hang in there! ~Cal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLki68uLfjw   - WATCH
" I am you and what I see is me..."