Author Topic: Sick Birds Die Easy  (Read 3045 times)

Offline iboga

• View Profile
Sick Birds Die Easy
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
A documentary crew of artists and misfits travel to Gabon, Africa, the believed origin of the Garden of Eden and home to one of the most powerful psychotropic plants on Earth. The sophmore film by American writer/director Nik Fackler takes audiences on the ultimate trip through the eyes of drug addicts, musicians and shamans. All of them, searching for the answers through different means and mediums.

Sick Birds Die Easy
Director Nik Fackler leads a cast of characters deep into the jungle of Gabon, Africa, searching for answers, truth and a cure for their addictions. Gabon is home to the spiritual practice of Bwiti, which uses the sacred iboga plant in ceremonies and rituals. Iboga is a powerful hallucinogen thought to be a miracle cure for drug and alcohol addiction. With Nik on his expedition are his paranoid, philosophical drug dealer, Ross; Sam, a musician whose talent is matched by his sense of entitlement; his beautiful French ingenue girlfriend, Emily; and a small crew to document the drug-fueled misadventure. Delving into mysticism, politics, colonialism and human nature, Sick Birds Die Easy is a mind-bending, fantastical social experiment that will leave you questioning your understanding of reality. Lynne Crocker

Base
here: http://sickbirdsdieeasy.com/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:29:16 PM by iboga »

Iboga Panacea

Re: Sick Birds Die Easy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
Looks extremely weird, not sure it paints a quality picture of Iboga or Gabon but guess I have to see it first.  Seems practically every film documentation takes place @ Ebando, I wish there was a broader pallet for representation of Bwiti culture. 

Offline DiamondHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
I concur - it seems that in this day and age, rather than try to get a true picture of the medicine (be it Iboga or Aya), there has to be an edge to the documentary/film - usually in the form of sensationalism, a weird cast of characters.

Now if a bunch of us from this forum were to be involved in something like that, it would be a different animal all together ... just saying...  ;)

Offline rez_runner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
Does it say where this will be available to watch? I couldn't find this info

Offline Rintrah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
This documentary is now available on Amazon... I'm watching it right now.

Offline Rintrah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »
This docu is fucking nuts. Here's an interesting review.

http://realitysandwich.com/217415/sick-birds-die-easy/

Offline holybark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
*Caution Spoilers*
Just watched it. It was visceral, sometimes funny, but mostly incredibly disrespectful and painful.  It was crazy and action packed, but few if any lessons were learned.  The main characters were insufferable, dense, and walked all over this beautiful religion/culture with complete disregard (one time even ripping a baby Iboga plant out of the ground). At one point one of their indigenous guides died mysteriously over night, and they barely batted an eye.  This film mostly left me with a sense of sadness.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:08:17 AM by holybark »
I'm not in your trap, I'm in my own trap.

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:46 AM »
Sounds Awful!  I saw a preview for it and it did seem bizarre.. I will probably still watch it and if I hate it give them some feedback on their facebook page.

Offline Rintrah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
This is a disappointment. On the other hand, Neurons to Nirvana, which came out recently, is probably the best documentary that will ever be made on entheogens in the western world. It just goes all the way and says what needs to be said without any scent of Timothy Leary or Terence McKenna nuttiness