Author Topic: Intro/Strong warning to breastfeeding mothers!  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Newbie317

• View Profile
Intro/Strong warning to breastfeeding mothers!
« on: February 10, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
I discovered Ibogaine while trying to find answers to dealing with my alcoholism, ptsd, and severe anxiety. I did a ton of research, bought, and read Iboga books. I was able to find a site that sold seeds that I have been giving away to anyone able to find experienced growers to keep this plant alive and strong for everyone in need and there are so many of us :( I later was able to get my hands on the real deal. I dont want to be banned or condemned for what Im about to say. I am here to learn as much as I can like most of us and to pass on my knowledge and experience to others seeking info. I am currently breastfeeding a newborn and I did research the effects of taking Iboga at the same time only I found very little on the subject. Some flat out say check with your doctor (Will get right on that not..), said nothing at all or just said dont, then you have Dimitri Mobengo Mugianis saying this is safe to take while pregnant or breastfeeding. So I took the chance and it went well. Baby and I were quite relaxed and enjoyed the afternoon so I tried it a couple more times but then I decided to take extra when it seemed to not be working as well. May have taken it too soon from the last time. Anyway, unlike the other times I heard the buzzing this time and the trip lasted about 24 hours instead of 12 and while it would have been ok my baby was not. His breathing slowed way down and before I was able to call it a night and get some rest he nearly stopped breathing. He was cold and somewhat stiff. I panicked and woke him up. He started breathing again but barely moved. He struggled to cry. Normally he would be crying at being woke up but he seemed to have difficulty being able to cry but after a few tries he started crying. He seemed extremely sleepy and if left alone would start to return to the state I had originally found him and need woken up again. This went on for hours through the night and I refused to sleep fearing he wouldnt make it. I pumped and dumped the milk all night and gave him formula until I was able to feed him and not make him sleepy. I had not realized I was redosing my child every feeding and may have damn near flood dosed him!! He is doing great now and even seems to be a happier baby since this experience. This had been the scariest thing I ever went through. I was still enjoying my reduced anxiety for a few days afterwards. I really hope this can help other moms out there considering taking Iboga while breastfeeding that are unable to find real information on what can happen. I still micro dose once a week but I keep my dose low and keep my baby close and give him a bottle most of the feedings to limit his exposure. I may catch some flack there too but if I weigh the risks of drinking alcohol and having severe anxiety over not drinking and reduced anxiety with increased monitoring of my baby I believe I am doing what is best. I have been sober for over a month ( 5 days before my first dose of Iboga) and intend to stay that way with the help of Iboga. I hope others who read this can also help mothers who ask what the risks are to properly inform them that there is real danger involved depending on your dose and sleeping arrangements. I co-sleep with my baby so I noticed his breathing nearly stop where a crib baby may have been found dead under the same circumstances. I do feel if the benefits outweigh the risk then one should only be more cautious and observant or quite simply dont breastfeed for at least 12 hours or as long as needed and you will know if your baby is effected after a feeding. The reason I still breastfeed a little is because it helps calm the baby as well in case that gets questioned. Please dont kick me for this. Others need to know. Thank You!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:44:56 PM by Newbie317 »

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Intro/Strong warning to breastfeeding mothers!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
Don't worry; we won't kick you out!!! Actually, your story is very valuable. It sounds like breastfeeding while taking iboga is a big NO-NO! Even if the mother is only microdosing, the baby is extremely lightweight and would be hyper-sensitive to iboga. I chuckled at "He is doing great now and even seems to be a happier baby since this experience." I'm glad to hear he's doing okay and happy!!

But yeah, if you witnessed your baby's breathing almost come to a halt, it sounds like the whole thing is best avoided.

Thank you for your contribution!!!

Offline Newbie317

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:29:52 AM »
UPDATE:

Tried to nurse during a microdosing again, only planned to do 1 feeding expecting it to not be too much for the baby as I had done multiple feedings in the past but this was a mistake. I believe this is accumulating in our system so each time I microdose it takes less to effect the baby. Im at the point where its been over 48 hours and I still make him sleepy if I nurse 1 side(boob) so I stop for several more hours only trying again after he has been alert for a while. Im gonna stop dosing for a while to let things settle back down. I change my previous decision of still nursing a little to JUST DONT DO IT...... And the more you dose the longer you cannot feed like I said Im at over 48 hours and still need formula. His breathing got scary low twice in a night this time, and twice 2 days later when I tried to nurse him again, I feel like a fool for thinking I could still pull it off but didnt realize it was staying in my system. Ill be ordering a baby breathing monitor in case I ever feed too soon in the future and recommend other moms do as well regardless if you take Iboga or not. Some babies just have undetected sleep apnea and can die from it. I may have to choose to stop breastfeeding if it means being able to dose more often for my anxiety but I havnt decided yet.

Ill add what I do when he starts to slow down but the thing to do is quite simple and obvious;

First how to recognize the problem. The baby has slowed breathing and heart rate. VERY sleepy. Possibly no startle reflex (very bad) and possibly accompanied by a stiff cold feeling (also very bad duh) and a limp/heavy feeling that seems to be such a relaxed state there is little muscle control which is similar to sleep apnea and can be reversed by stimulating the baby to wake up. If you hear unusual breathing sounds especially(mouth breathing/struggled sounding)!! Immediately wake the baby and vigorously rub his back, bounce, talk to him, put him down and pick back up, change his clothes and otherwise keep him moving until his heart rate comes back up and he is more alert. Do not stop until the baby opens their eyes. It can take a few minutes.

DO NOT WALK AWAY! It only takes a few minutes for the baby to return to this state again similar with sleep issues.
A baby should not have a heart rate lower than 60 beats a minute which is a normal rate for adults so if it matches yours that can be bad. You want it closer to 120 a minute or more the younger the baby.

Do not use water/bath to wake the baby as they are likely cold already and you dont need to make them colder. Just sounds like a bad idea when other methods are effective.

You can stop worrying so much when your babies behavior returns to normal but be aware if you feed again and you still have too much Iboga in your system you will redose the baby and start all over again within 20 minutes :( yea that sucks.

I have been researching these symptoms and sleep apnea keeps coming up and all of this is normal for that condition and reversible when it happens. The baby is just so relaxed they slow down too much and fail to wake up on their own.

Luckily, I bought a stethoscope while I was pregnant and keep it close by. Each time I try to nurse again he does recover faster so I know its slowly working its way out of my system. It is very scary but Im getting very familiar with handling it without panicking although that does seem to help wake the baby up faster :D

I dont enjoy being the one going through this but at the same time I fully trust myself to handle it and am glad I can get this information out there for others before someone wakes up to a dead baby and wonders wtf happened. Or keeps trying to microdose and nurse like I did. I am currently holding my alert yet still very calm happy baby an Iboga effect that I was enjoying :)  Still waiting for him to get mad at me and cry for food or attention so I know he is back to normal lol

Offline Newbie317

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »
Wish I knew how to edit my post, anyway I was able to resume breastfeeding by 3 1/2 days.

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Wow, thank you for sharing this warning. First off, I think its great that you are breast feeding and having a natural connection with your child, lucky baby!

Yeah, the size of the baby and the fact that multiple feedings were ramping up the dose for the baby each time, due to the long half life of noribogaine (and whatever else) with ibogaine is what is so dangerous. Definitely a NO-NO, and glad your baby is OK.

Offline Newbie317

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »
I need to clear something up now that hundreds of people have seen this and left thinking this is not safe. With so little information on dosing available and the different forms of Iboga out there it can be difficult to really understand what you have and how much to take. I thought I was taking low doses and later found out I had reached a sub flood level so no wonder my infant was so sleepy. He was probably flooding.  I was taking TA in 300mg doses having read others do the same or double that so one day I did double, 600mg of TA.... I didn't realize they were taking rootbark or what the difference was but I do now and have since seen posts of others microdosing while breastfeeding safely and now that I am taking rootbark instead I am also microdosing safely. I apologize for my confusion but this goes to show that a lack of dosing info can also cause harm. I should have been more sure I was dosing correctly but thought I was sure so can't beat myself up over now.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
I have to be honest - this is careless as anything. I can see absolutely no reason to touch iboga in any form while breastfeeding. Iboga(ine) isn't going anywhere, and there simply must be more consideration given to an optimal time...

I appreciate your honesty about this situation, knowing you may get some backlash - I am not here to do that but I am compelled to reiterate we are not a scientific/peer reviewed forum at all - nor are we affiliated with any research or scholastic bodies which could perform empirical research. What we have are sharp, good hearted people (lay mostly) discussing interpretations of subjective anecdote.

I have a good bit of experience to draw from, some of it unbelievably painful and dangerous - so I certainly don't mean to come off sharp. There are many reasons I can think of to suspend or postpone any work at all with iboga during such a crucial time, (even microdose amounts) - and not a single reason great enough to attempt navigating the unknown risks that surely must come with such endeavors. Do you really want to expose an infant to so many unknowns? Dmitri doubtless gets his perspective from his experiences in Gabon...I would wager that such is not uncommon in their tribal lives, and likely has far more impact/implications for their own society and people. These are folks who literally have iboga 'in the blood' and it could even be integral to a healthy 'diet' while breastfeeding. But under the circumstances it just seems it would behoove any non indigenous, Western cultured people to defer to prudence over experimentation.
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
I can see absolutely no reason to touch iboga in any form while breastfeeding.

Well, she did say that she was dealing with alcoholism, ptsd, and severe anxiety. That's one reason. Sometimes you are in agony and it can't wait.

In my opinion, her carelessness was in regards to confusing the dosage for microdosing rootbark, which she had intended to do, with dosing TA. She *accidentally* took TA instead of rootbark. THAT'S the carelessness. Had she merely microdosed, like she intended, I'm sure the baby would have been fine. No doubt no one should FLOOD with iboga while breastfeeding.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:24:53 AM by RhythmSpring »