Author Topic: What is Eboka?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
What is Eboka?
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
I've always assumed those of us who found our way here already knew or had a good idea what eboka (iboga) is. This was perhaps too presumptive, as someone gently reminded me recently. Here is a brief description of what all the fuss is about:

Eboka is another name (and spelling) for iboga - which is a very special plant native to equatorial Africa. It is a perennial shrub that under optimal conditions can grow into a small tree. The root bark is harvested and used in religious ceremonies by the Bwiti cult for initiation and communion within the tribe. The alkaloids present in the root bark stimulate the central nervous system and have hallucinogenic properties.

Attention was brought to the West by Howard Lotsof (RIP) in the 1960's when he inadvertently discovered the anti-addictive qualities of ibogaine  which is the primary constituent in the root bark of the Tabernanthe iboga shrub. Taking the drug 'for kicks' - Lotsof was impressed when 36 hours after administration he realized he no longer had cravings for the heroin to which he was addicted. Thus began the first investigations of ibogaine for treating addictions.

Since that time there have been some studies and research into this miraculous medicine, but unfortunately - for reasons all too typical of capitalism - these alkaloids remain illegal in the US and some European countries. In spite of the Draconian insanity prohibiting responsible use of ibogaine/iboga in the States, many clinics exist throughout the world where treatment is provided for a variety of reasons. Mexico and Canada are attractive spots for Americans who can afford to travel for treatment. While indeed used to treat such things as depression and other neuroses - the main focus has been alleviating withdrawal symptoms associated with opioid and cocaine/amphetamine addictions. It's uses are manifold and more is being discovered every day. Anecdotal reports from the medical arena suggest efficacy as a potent antiviral and show promise as an immune booster.

This is only the briefest run down of what this stuff is, and why we are interested in it. I open the floor to other members to elaborate more fully on this - (how's that for passin the buck haha) Thanks to you all!

PS> here's a thread which contains many links to other sites and more information: http://eboka.pkeffect.com/index.php?topic=24.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:11:15 AM by calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is Eboka?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
Well put, my friend.
Excellent nutshell, you're not half bad at that writing stuff. ;)

Auntie Tia

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is Eboka?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »
shoot - that's awful nice of ya auntie hehe  :-*
" I am you and what I see is me..."