Author Topic: music i love  (Read 19616 times)

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
music i love
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »
i love drum and bass .
i also love dubstep .
- hp

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: music i love
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Boy I love drum and bass too! Jungle, baby!

Dieselboy is the MAN...check out 'Project Human', it's a whole other thing...completely dismantling - severe and heavy jungle.
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
The only Dnb I've heard that I liked was Pendulum, Optical, Noisia (I love riduculously complex stuff), but haven't gotten into the genre as a whole.

Charming, beautiful, majestic, meloncholy, melodic electronic music

Mosaik - Leandi
http://music.mosaik.se/album/leandi

Let me know if you like it too.  :D

skinny

P.S.  Tetsu Inoue - Organic Cloud is an epic ambient album, I'd always wanted to go on a trip with this one.  If you need it I can upload to a file sharing site, I think it is out of print still.

your Ctrl-V whore brought to you by Clipmate

Choose Reality:  http://www.churchofreality.org

Offline atom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
ill bite..

im all grateful dead, especially when psychedlicized, but iboga is opening me up
i like bwiti thru the visions, followed by backbeat (?) free unitepretable international music (sigor ros, seu gorge, gregorian chant, tibetin flutes and throats, etc)
followed by lagre amounts of jerry garcias guitar as my mood soars and soars, there are two types of people in the world, and im grapefruit fred
a friend of mine (and yours cal) played some mckenna lectures my last time and i loved it, he speaks our language, id read his books, but the lectures... the lectures.. mmm.. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:55:45 PM by atom »

RavAv

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:48:39 AM »
*d*a*r*k* *s*t*a*r*
2/13/70

fillmore

::)

Offline crazylife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:14 AM »
I quite like D&B.
Also like trance.
Found this group recently and really really like their music. Wouldnt know which genre to stick them in.
They are called 'active child'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNqI4mc1m8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=905_LAo5uUQ&feature=related

Another band i like, called 'geographer'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzg24ynncOY
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:33:05 AM by crazylife »

Offline crazylife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
The only D&B i really listen to is a Matrix and Futurebound album. (worth buying if you can find one).

Check this out for an awesome tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwySlRuY7s

Offline Cernlion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Here's a few from me -

Wu Na - One Flower is a World (Guqin music)

Mind in a Box - Retro

Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts and Lightchasers

Davy Spillane - Sea of Dreams

Bluetech - Love songs to the Source

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
Wow, why did it take me so long to see this thread?

I love everything, literally everything... Classical, rock, blues, rap and hip-hop, grime rap.. But I have to be honest.. I've always loved all kinds of electronica: house, trance, jungle, DnB, etc.... but lately.. what's been blowing my mind is this new early 2010-present dubstep. "Let the bass, let the bass make you live!" BOOOOOOOOM!! WHOMP WHOMP!!

I've been going to so many raves lately, seeing so many great DJ's...

Currently BLOWING my mind:

Skrillex
Bassnectar
Flux Pavillion

but of course, those who will always blow my mind:

Shpongle
Infected Mushroom

------------------------

Viva electronica!
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:36:44 AM »
i miss raves and the such .
i used to go to these
when i lived in Atlanta .
- hp

Offline achtwan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
oh how i miss those days.
well,i dont miss everything about them,i was a sick puppy back then.

but man,there were some beautiful amazing times.....

hey digital,what are the parties like these days....is the vibe there?

the real parties have been long gone in my parts for years now.
mine and calaquendis rave days were in the nineties....

man,it was raw back then....the midwest scene in its prime was just primal man.
the best of detroit,and chicago every weekend.....i also destroyed a dance floor or two
in my days as a dj......ahhh....im gonna get a tear in my eye!

i realized i am digressing from the thread....

music i enjoy....
old school midwest techno,drum and bass,good ambient...
plastikman!
future sound of london
diesleboy
shpongle
speedy j
me 8)
i also love some metal and othe stuff..

NEUROSIS(for me the best band ever...ymmv!)
mastodon
pink floyd
tool
perfect circle
dead can dance
led zeppelin
iron maiden
black sabbath
i could go on......
raise your fears and cast them all away...

Offline atom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »
i feel lucky to have been a part of that scene, in the mid 90's the rave scene in cali was something to behold, one party began immediately after the next day and night, i dont know if this is how it still works, but all these parties were all 'illegal' gatherings though little expense was spared in production, usually broken up at some point, but without the scary police state element dead tour brought at that point..

oh to be young and high on extacy watching the sun set over the pacific in a giant smoosh pile to a soundtrack provided by orbital...
oh to be here now with my baby daughter on my lap looking out over the hills this magestic morning to a soundtrack provided by burning spear...

a couple wonderful podcasts to share: 'the psychedelic salon' is lectures on all things consciousness, and 'radio 360 with dj darkhorse' is marvelous musical mixes

vavar that is a fantastic dark star, dark star is tattooed down my leg, and is my youngest daughters middle name (~);}
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:42:17 PM by atom »

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
Ahhhh you old school ravers :-D  From what I know, I'm sure I would have loved the scene back then.. It's still pretty amazing, though it's changed a lot in the last year or so.

I started hitting raves in Chicago when they finally brought the scene back around 2005. It was beautiful then.. The raves weren't exactly illegal, because after the huge crack down in chicago in 2001, promoters figured out it's actually a lot easier to just get a few permits and hire off-duty police officers for security, so the parties never got busted up. So while not illegal, they were still "underground". That's what I loved.. If you didn't know somebody, they were very hard to find out about.. One of the last legit raves I went to had 3 "bounces" before you found out where it was at..

It worked like this. They advertise the date and time of the rave, and what DJs would be there, but not the location. To find out where it's at you have to get a phone number from someone involved in setting it up. The phone number wasn't turned on until about 2 hours before the rave started, and it was a recording that told you where to go for the first bounce. "Goto grammaphone records downtown, tell them you want your ticket for 'source'". Or something like that. So off you go to grammaphone, pick up your ticket, then they say "Ok, now take this ticket over to Beatniks and trade it for your wristband." So you do that, then the guys at Beatniks tell you "Ok, now take the blue line over to the corner of Southport and Addison in Wrigleyville and wait on the corner." And you're like "uhhh.... ok."

You get there and see about 20 little raver kids all waiting on the corner, and then after awhile a payphone down the street starts to ring and everyone runs down to it to answer it, and when you pick up the voice on the other end will say "1732 Kedzie" and hang up.

How about THAT shit?!? Those my friends were raves! Since they were so hard to find, pretty much everyone there was true to the scene. Very PLUR :-D (Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect) I never saw any fights, nothing but hugs and good vibes, no one ever got in trouble, plenty of drugs, even free balloons for nitrous sometimes. They were amazing times. They went until the sun came up, and then the after party started and went until everyone finally passed out.

Now today, things are different.. There are two things that have changed the scene. The first is American dubstep. It's blown up in popularity. Electronica is reaching such a wide audience now, even college kids want to go to dubstep shows. So raves are attracting a much wider audience. I remember when I first started going to these raves, and they had sooo many people there, and not everyone was dressed up like a clown! It was weird to see normal kids and college kids around there.. That's when the vibe started to wane a little bit, but not much.. More drugs, more bogus drugs, and some people getting busted for selling.

But what has finally and permanently changed the rave scene.. Is Facebook.

Now I get an invitation through Facebook for a rave at least once a day. These aren't really "raves" anymore. There is no underground element. The atmosphere hasn't taken that big of a dive, it's still very loving and friendly. But it feels a little different.. It's good and bad. I miss the underground element. It really added to the feeling of such a tight-knit community. But there are sooo many more raves now, and rave culture is really big in college towns. So for better or worse, things are different now, but I still love it!
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »

I never been to a rave but they had a lot of stuff in the 60s that were similar.

@achtwan what you doing in the Detroit area?

Roy

Offline achtwan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
oh,nothing man.
i just love detroit techno.....all good techno.
mmmm....
raise your fears and cast them all away...