Author Topic: shy seedling  (Read 7468 times)

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
shy seedling
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
this one shows some promise!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:44:00 PM by rho »

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: shy seedling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »
Beautiful!

Keep us updated :-D

<3
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

fallout330

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Very nice rho, keep it going  ;D

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
I was picking off some of the seedcoat with my fingernail and I nicked the embryo :( I hope it makes it.

Offline roach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
It should be fine.  I can remove seed coats from 25 plants in 2-3 min. Good looking sprout you have there!

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Re: shy seedling UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
This one is doing really well, and another one has sprouted ! You can see how I carefully picked/scraped the seedcoat off with my finernail all the way around so the two halves could separate and drop off.

Isn't nature kind to make things that heal my brain look like little brains? Thanks !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:31:19 PM by rho »

fallout330

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
Very cool Rho, it is interesting that the T. Iboga looks like a mini brain  :D

It's been my experience that spraying the seed coat several times daily, helps with the seedling pushing off the seed coat naturally.

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Re: shy seedling Question about seedcoats
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
My first seedling is dying :( it started to rot before the seedcoat dropped off and I think its damaged beyond repair. Can anyone tell me if the white brainey looking stuff directly under the hard brown seedcoat needs to be removed as well? I'm suspecting it does but I don't want to kill any seedlings while experimenting if I can help it. I have 4 others just germing now :) Thanks !

Offline Stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
It may be the leaf you are talking about. The leaf is white before it gets light but i suspect you have not removed all the seedcoat. Keep the coat wet at all times. When i see the brown mold on the plant itself it means the struggle is over. I put moss or peat on the seedcoat to keep it moist and plastic wrap over the whole thing to avoid drying out. After the coat is off you can let it gradually get used to dryer air.

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
welp, I successfully germinated and removed the seedcoat on about 8 plants, but they have all died. They stalled before getting their first set of real leaves and withered away. Maybe I'll try again somewhere down the line.

Offline Stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that, rho. It's always sad to lose a seedling that you've worked with for a while. Did they seem to dry out? Were the leaves discolored? How much light did you give them? You want to give them enough but not a lot. Iboga likes the shade so right under a bright light sometimes might be too much. Did you fert them at all? I've lost a few of mine but you learn from experience.

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
They seemed to stall, and then at least one of them rotted from the base just above the soil. I noticed mold starting to grow on the cotyledons on several of them just before shriveling up.

I grew them inside small plastic bags on top of a heat mat inside of a large plastic bin. I opened them up at least 2x a day, but I suspect it wasn't enough ventilation.

cest la vie

Offline Stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
Not enough ventilation sounds like the culprit. Did you let the soil dry out between waterings? That is important too. Did you fert them at all?

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
They never really got a chance to dry out. Inside the small bags I think it would have taken months. But, when I took some of them out of the bags for a day, the plant really looked like it was suffering and wilting. I think to grow them reliably I really need a timed mister and fan.

btw, they were in low light, obscured windowsill light.

oh yeah, I didn't fert them. I used a variety of soil types, from straight coir to sandy or perlite laced coir to a peat based seedling mix with some perlite and presumably a little bit of compost.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:59:33 PM by rho »

Offline Stoney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
They do need ferts and some ventilation. You can go from the bag to open air little by little. I usually put some plastic wrap over them when they come out from a high humidity environment like that. Gradually i open the plastic wrap a little more each day. Finally they are in the open air after maybe 3 days of transition. After that just let the soil dry out but don't let them wilt between waterings. A larger pot makes it easier. I just put some of mine outdoors in 1 gallon pots in the shade.