Author Topic: Traditional Ayahuaca healing  (Read 8102 times)

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
Traditional Ayahuaca healing
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:14 AM »
New bonds of friendship will be formed through shared shamanic experiences, challenges, insights, healing, joy and celebration of life. Some of these friendships may well last a lifetime. Work with Ayahuasca, the great holistic medicine of the Amazon, may be challenging and provocative in many ways. Ayahuasca is, for most people, a deeply penetrating and sometimes cathartic holistic workout, opening you on all levels for healing, renewal, and new dimensions in your life.

You will likely encounter some challenging moments in your work with Ayahuasca. Most everyone does. At some point you may ask yourself why you ever took on such a difficult therapeutic process. Your intention will be the answer. Those thoughts will pass, and you'll stay the course to realize blessings of deep enduring healing and transformation that will unfold in your life for a long time to come.

An important aspect of the shamanic path is to keep things moving in your life. The Ayahuasca ceremonial experience is somewhat like a microcosm of the human life experience, with each encounter revealing different aspects of ourselves and our relationships with all beings, mother earth, the universal spirit... and ourselves.

Bring a positive and cheerful attitude. Positivity has great power. Insecurity, fear and negativity can be an obstacle and they are not needed here. Bring a serious intention for your life and for this work, but don't be heavy or grim about it. Bring an attitude of joy and confidence that you can and will attain everything you seek through this work. If that is truly your intention and commitment then you will.

Don't dwell on pre-conceived expectations, whatever they may be. Ayahuasca experiences rarely conform to one's "expectation" and even less to one's demands. Remember above all else that Ayahuasca is a powerful and multifaceted HOLISTIC MEDICINE. It is not a drug. Every experience with Ayahuasca is uniquely and deeply personal and distinctive in many aspects. Your experiences will not be "like" those of anyone else, although there may be shared aspects. The greatest similarity will be in the positive RESULTS rather than the content of the intensive experiences. It is very important not to let what you've read or heard about the experiences of others color or influence your expectations or instill unnecessary anxiety.

VISIONS
Although visions are the most widely discussed aspect of the Ayahuasca experience, they actually are not the greatest gift of the medicine or the most important aspect of your work. Visions are a medium of spiritual and metaphysical communication. True visions are NOT hallucinations because they have deeper metaphoric or literal meaning and are not illusory. Ayahuasca does not automatically induce visions in every individual at the same time or pace. They are a visual means by which a mystical consciousness greater than our own communicates with us beyond the ordinary limitations of the intellect. Ayahuasca is a holistic medicine which communicates far more through the opening of the heart than through the mind.

Some of you may have powerful, vivid and dramatic experiences right away, although the amplitude, content, and intensity will certainly vary from ceremony to ceremony. Others of you may have less intensive visionary experiences or none at all. If this is the case be patient and don't jump to premature conclusions about anything. This is simply the nature of Ayahuasca and reflects it's unique interaction with each individual's personality, biochemistry, and collective life experience. This is an aspect of Ayahuasca that is difficult to explain, but is rooted in it's unique ability to penetrate the psyche and soul of each person in the manner most appropriate for their needs. Ayahuasca is not a drug, and it does not induce... it reveals. The more one is able to set aside western paradigm and conventional "logic", and fully surrender the control mandate to a higher power, the sooner one realizes a deep and powerful connection with the Great Consciousness of which we are all a part.

INTENTION
Serious work with Ayahuasca begins with the formulation and cultivation of a sincere personal intention. Ideally one's intention should be far-reaching and results-oriented rather than merely experience-centered and goal-oriented. Experience is a means to an end, and so is Ayahuasca. The enduring blessings one brings into their lives through this work can indeed change one's life forever for the better.

That is certainly our earnest desire for each of you. Deep lasting holistic healing and personal spiritual realization happens in many different ways, and these are the greatest gifts of Ayahuasca. Ayahuasca is for many the gift that keeps on giving, and I trust that you all will realize this as well.
So, bring your best to this work ... your integrity, your commitment, a bit of courage, a dash of faith, and most importantly ... love and compassion for yourself and others. Universal love is the foundation of core shamanic principle and practice at it's highest levels. If you do this, then you'll realize blessings of deep holistic cleansing, healing, transformation and empowerment in the most personal of ways ... remarkably exactly what you need.

THE PURGE
Purging may occur physically through vomiting, mentally and emotionally through confrontation and catharsis, and spiritually through deep personal realization. Physical purging may be vigorous or it may not occur at all. Don't fear it ... go with it ... it's one of the reasons you are coming to this work. So let go of everything you don't need anymore, lighten your load, and prepare to move forward in your life with strength and vigor. It's easier than you think, and once cleansed you'll have a new sense of baseline normalcy in your life. Some of you may purge strongly and others little or not at all. When the cleansing is done it subsides. Ayahuasca is not an emetic. It doesn't automatically induce vomiting. The degree and extent to which one physically purges is usually a reflection of the personal detoxification or emotional catharsis needed to initiate healing in the individual. It is a holistic cleansing, and as one is cleansed, the purging usually subsides in later ceremonies. Understanding the nature of the "purge" to be a cleansing process and not "sickness" is helpful in moving through it gracefully and smoothly. And you'll feel great afterwards!

You will engage the medicines and shamanic spiritual consciousness on many levels... through the intellect, through the senses, through transpersonal communication ... but most of all ... through the Heart and Soul. You'll explore what is known and you'll explore what isn't. You will engage the Great Mystery. You'll move beyond the limitations of modern science and western intellectual rationalism to enter a sacred supernatural reality known by the ancients since before recorded human history. You will gain an understanding of the reality of universal core shamanism and it's potential applications in your own life. We invite you to open your heart and mind to spiritual reality beyond ordinary life experience, yet intrinsically interwoven with it.

The potential rewards are deep and lasting healing, spiritual self-realization, ecstatic joy, and unconditional universal love. The Ayahuasca Odyssey is in many ways an archaic revival of timeless shamanic spiritual consciousness so desperately needed in this day and time. You'll realize anew that what you seek and need the most has been with you all along and will be with you forever.

As you realize deep cleansing and healing, you will reaffirm your harmonious relationship with nature, Spirit, all creation, fellow humans ... and with yourself.

THE DIET
Observing the traditional vegetalista diet, we recommend you greatly reduce or abstain alcohol, pork, red meat, salt, refined sugar, fats, saturated oils, and hot spices from two days before the Ayahuasca ceremony, and a day afterwards. Though posing no special risks (except possibly alcohol), these additives may inhibit your uptake and receptivity to the Ayahuasca medicine to some degree. Reduction or abstinence of these substances has the benefit of cleansing and purifying the system, and will hasten and strengthen your connection with the medicine. Sexual activity and thoughts should be abstained during this time as well. Sexual abstinence conserves essential energy which is better invested in the rigors of your work with Ayahuasca, and will help guide your mental and spiritual focus in more esoteric realms. You may find your natural libido enhanced along with all your other functions following your work with Ayahuasca.

Longer periods of dieting may yield additional benefits but the choice is yours. Alcohol and pork should be avoided for a week before and after work with Ayahuasca. They are the only substances one need abstain for more than a few days before and after the ceremonies.

Ayahuasca is physically, emotionally, and energetically demanding. Mental, emotional, spiritual and physical stamina is needed to complete a cycle of work.
A more liberal healing diet consists of grilled fish, vegetable or chicken soup, rice or quinoa, boiled, browned, or mashed potatoes, yuca (cassava), heart of palm (chonta), eggs, and a variety of vegetables and fruits raw, boiled, or lightly stir-fried. Light seasoning is optional in the liberal diet.

We recommend that coffee not be consumed the day of ceremony or the morning after. Caffeine is not the issue, since some widely-used Ayahuasca admixture plants, such as guayusa, contain high amounts of caffeine. Mild reactions from drinking coffee have been noted in a few people, so it's best to avoid it within twelve hours of taking Ayahuasca. Teas containing caffeine and the Brazilian plant stimulant guarana do not produce any adverse effects that we've noted. Honey may be used as sweetener if desired.

[By way of Heavenly Products, A Recommended Vendor]

The Leading Provider of Ethnobotanical Products!

http://heavenly-products.com/

See also: All About Aya ? (via ms_manic_minxx)

skinny

your Ctrl-V whore brought to you by Clipmate

Choose Reality:  http://www.churchofreality.org

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional Ayahuaca healing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
That is one hell of a write up, Skinny...you do that yourself?

Something a bit odd at the end though, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear there was advertisement around there somewhere.

If you or any of your friends or associates have interests in being a vendor here, PM me for details. That way, you could have a nice shiny banner up like all the other vendors and it would all be very appropriate.

I don't mind people sharing their experiences, or even their sources (you must know this about me by now) as long as it isn't worded like one big ad. It's very good though. Just feel where I'm coming from  ;)
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
I gotta say heavenly products prices for the non entheogenic herbs are way high compared to the competition. Nay for me, it can't that they get that much of higher quality herbs right?  Never bought from them so I am technically committing a logical fallacy but I personally won't pay that much for herbs.

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
Spot on though Skinny when it comes to Aya prices they are one of the top competitors, my apologies for the oversight.  I haven't been purchasing the unprepared vine and such for a while now as it is so hit or miss for me in terms of brewing.  Finicky ain't it getting the brew just right it's a fine fine art.  Been getting mine from a shaman as I didn't want to have to go through all the time and money for something that I can never gurantee will work.  But as I know I need to do this as it is a prerequisite for my total enjoyment of the experience I think I am interpreting this Heavenly Products signal as a green light to get back into trying.

Thanks skinny----phat recommendation

-IP

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
But as I know I need to do this as it is a prerequisite for my total enjoyment of the experience

This is the key...it does take a little work to get it dialed in, but there's nothing like making your own medicine.

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
I didn't write that, I nabbed it out of the HP website as it is on the front page.  It just sounded really elegant description on ayahuasca, so I made an note and shared it with a bunch of people.  I emailed the owner Robert and seeing if I could get an author.  I also included the DMT-Nexus DIY guide to give a variation of what to 'expect' from Aya.

I didn't want to endorse Heavenly Products myself, but since there wasn't any other citation for it that was the best way for me to do it.  I'm a bit of a fan of the site myself as I believe Robert has some of the best prices on aya - haven't checked much around but I was looking for these criteria:

1) Domestic source - I know a lot of you said great things about Maya Ethnobotanicals, but for me I couldn't risk getting my order seized by Customs if it had the chance to do it.  There's always that possibility - and lately I've been asking around...Robert tells me that his shipments have been seized lately particulary the mimosa products.  On a Closed FB group someone tipped me off to vendors going out of business because of seized shipments.  And some of you may have known of Bouncing Bear Botanicals (see: Save Jon Sloan who was reamed by the Authorities and shut down.  BTW I was suprised how much cash they alleged he had $400K?  Man these enthobotanical companies seem to make a LOT of money!!!  Seems like they went after him because of his cash...

Anyways I felt that HP provided low cost to aya plant material - don't know about prices on other herbs but IP thanks for mentioning it - I find that Robert is a good guy from my email exchanges.  His website is a bit cumbersome to navigate but the products I have received were excellent and he throws in some suprises like he did with me - coca tea (didn't know it was legal to sell in USA "decocanized").

So if you are ordering plant material overseas (I assume a lot of you are in USA) then you do have the strong possibility of having your shipment seized.  Maybe some of you can deal with that risk - I can't since I live on very thin margins - I like the idea of getting past that hurdle

And if anyone knows of other domestic sources please let me know. ;)

2) Low cost and reputable - HP was the only domestic source.  I read that other sites like I Am Shaman said they don't want to risk selling mimosa products even though it is legal to buy, sell, possess due to trickly legal nature of it.  DMT is a Schedule 1 drug (which is found in mimosa) but somehow it's ok to sell as long as you aren't know to extract it.  Those Motherfuckers! ;)

Well some people from the DMT Nexus site mentioned HP as a reputable site so I went with that...and I was pleased at the price.

Ultimately you can make an Aya dose for less than $5 a dose.  Sounds like a great deal compared to iboga (lowest cost for flood dose seems to be around $400)

Another thing I'd mention is that I'm getting some positive feedback by sharing this note on FB - but when people find out that this came from me as Do-it-Yourself guide that I'm encouraging...people tend to take offense to it so I have to explain myself a bit.

Examples:  I was at an event in NYC with a guy who studied the Andean Despacho and when I told him how I took caapi/chacruna - he took offense and said it was very sacred and that I shouldn't be messing with it like that.

Well FU was my immediate reaction because my intent wasn't to exploit anyone's culture or tradition!  I wasn't even going to make money out of this!  But as a means of speading healing in the most effective way I see - in an Open Source model - so it seems like he took offense because I didn't do it with a Shaman.

I see it as everyone having shaman potential in the most basic way - everyone had DMT and Aya induces DMT - so right there why should any tradition lay a Special Claim on how Aya should be done?   There are a number of shamanic traditions - how do you pick one from the many?

So after explaining all this he seemed to cool off and then performed a cleansing on me - he was eager to offer it - but I was just eager to learn so I thought 'what the heck'.   He said I carried some Dark Energy, saw something evil in me or sth...don't quite remember how he put it...anways the cleansing consisted of him doing some Reiki like work, song, humming, using some perfumes....

After it he said I had a beautiful spirit and we left.  But I felt a bit 'urged' to do it and I paid him $25 for it being almost broke.  He was not a rich looking guy, said he slept in the woods...

So another example was that there's this Dream Collective in NYC where they gather to talk dreams.  I mentioned my experiences with Aya and Iboga and wanted to discuss the visions of IP - but they weren't accepting of me.  I felt shunned because I mentioned Aya in the same manner.  Do it Yourself and don't let a particular tradition influence you.  Two guys in the collective did take Aya but with a Native American group so it was all influenced by their ceremony and they made it seem that they didn't do any of that medicine work in their collective in NYC.

I found out later through the grapevine - at the Andean Despacho event - that they did aya cleanses and peyote work.  I thought it was strange that they wouldn't mention that to me since I was upfront about promoting Do it Yourself Shamanism...but I chalked it up to possible shaman competition or maybe them being weirded out by me.

I heard ceremonies in the NYC area could go for hundreds of dollars and for me to DIY like most of you do here, made me think - WHY SO EXPENSIVE?

Anyways that's just some of my personal experiences.

BTW IP I had some people send interesting remarks regarding your Aya/Iboga visions.  One girl that I met wanted me to talk more about my visions - well it wasn't MY visions - but I guess people think I had them even though I credit IP in the note.

yeah so by me posting this note my Intent is to disseminate a Roadmap if you will of Aya so people can:

1) Do Aya if they so choose - aya is not for everyone but I believe everyone should have the opportunity to do it.
2) Find the most feasible way of doing it - whether through a group ceremony, experienced Shaman or brave souls like on these message board who are go-getters and like to do it themselves.
3) Share our experiences with others
4) Help heal the Earth and the many problems I see in our current times today

skinny

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Well done

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »
Wow skinny this really lifted up my spirits.  This makes me inspired as I am set to start writing a fiction (based on many historical and botanical references but highly imiginated) book called Native Panaceas.  The focus will be on the marriage of Iboga and Ayahuasca and their cosmogenesis of all other plants and species first created the most delicious and nutritious blue green algae (their firstborn).  Before I can start this though I'm gonna have to dive really headlong into the rites of passage with oje' then aya then kambo the oje' then aya then kambo then heavy kambo and then for the grand finale a heavy weight flood of Iboga.  I feel I must ask them to get the storyline although they have already provided a general outline.  Following this I will stop relying on the shaman and start brewing my own medicine again as I have been stubborn in accepting the obvious. 

For anyone interested I will be making a large batch of "Admixture Tincture" featuring over 15 different herbs...don't worry it will be safe.  It will be completed in a month and 1/2 and their will be a very limited supply.  Also once I can finally afford a labtop here round abouts I will be starting a podcast and would really like it to be a shared program with those on this forum.  Just a seed for thought. 

From Ayahuasca she tells me------The most important accomplishment is humor through love to love humor loving paradox that surrounds everything, the blending together and many colors of the rainbow in each of us.  Was it the trickster that made us choose this or that or like this or that when reality there is only the paradox of love and loving the paradox.  Not sure if this makes any since to the layman bystandard it is certainly jibber jab but this is what I got from this last Friday's(7/30) visit to Aya land that left me laughing hysterically for 2 hours about literally loving how everything is paradox.

PARADOX–noun
1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.

Cultural Dictionary paradox definition A statement that seems contradictory or absurd but is actually valid or true. According to one proverbial paradox, we must sometimes be cruel in order to be kind. Another form of paradox is a statement that truly is contradictory and yet follows logically from other statements that do not seem open to objection. If someone says, “I am lying,” for example, and we assume that his statement is true, it must be false. The paradox is that the statement “I am lying” is false if it is true.

LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
-ip

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »
I like this thread ;D

I had read that write-up on HP's page some months ago.. And while it is very good, and covers a lot of ground, I do think it has the tinge of an advertisement, and I think it could/should include just a little more about the power of that medicine, and the seriousness of the decision to take that path.  But yeah, it's a great write-up.

And I do indeed hate the navigation at their site, it's so hard to find specific items.

I'm having trouble even finding their vine right now.. But really Skinny, $5 a dose?   Are you talking about if you buy in bulk?  And using chacruna for the light, or mimosa?  Because in all my times making orders.. Chacruna and vine are both pretty expensive.  My brews using at least 80 grams of vine, and 50 of chacruna (having ordered from Maya in less than 'bulk' amounts) always end up costing me a solid $40 at least.  I guess you can certainly make brews using rue seeds and mimosa for much cheaper prices, but if there are ways to make brews that only come out to be about $5 a dose, using Caapi vine (and chacruna/choliponga too if possible), please put me in the know on this one!  Or if you want, maybe PM me some links to the best prices/product you've found?  I'd totally appreciate it.

And yeah, Ibo can be quite expensive per dose, but you can definitely do it for way less than $400 if you're just buying bark. (And then making your own TA if you want)

I definitely jive with a lot of what's been said here though - as I am a huge fan of Aya myself.. It's been so beneficial to me. And @IP, "paradox" is such a great word to describe some of my realizations during/after Aya experiences.. What a beautiful, perfect paradox it all is! ;D

I was just talking with a friend about Aya/Ibo actually.. She had seen pictures of some tattoos that I have on my ribs (my favorite molecules :) )  and I was rambling for awhile about why I refer to them as 'medicine'.  It was a neat conversation; I love sharing information about this stuff with receptive/curious people.

Anyway,

Love you guys! ;D  <3
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
Wow lot to respond to here, but I will mention a few things:

Since I live in a boat now with little to no access to modern facilities like showers, kitchen, I have scaled back my living to eating at a homeless shelter and making some money doing handy work.  In my introduction I mentioned that I worked in the sex industry and was trying to get out, but since I could not find a way to make a living doing juicing/plant medicine in NYC, I started contacting my old clients again.  I have one that is suffering from cancer but he smokes weed and eats it in cookies.   I wanted to see if he would be interested in an Aya cleanse, but it's not in his best interest now although he seems to be open to it.

Recently I have tried these:

Maca: I couldn't find the root powder at cheap prices in NYC except for one brand that costs like $25 for a pound (i think) at Whole Foods.  I bought the Vitamin Shoppe brand of pills.  Doesn't seem to be working on my libido.  :-\

Ginkgo/Rhiodole Rosea:  Wanted to get bulk herbs, but since I don't have a kitchen best thing was to buy little bottles of tinctures in Chinatown for around$8.

Kombucha:  I used to grow this pancake bacterial/fungi symbiotic culture years ago, but it gained popularity in the last year in NYC.  Most kombucha bottles cost like $5!  And for that amount of money you buy tea and sugar and can make hundreds of doses.   Kombucha companies are making a killing out of something that has so little startup costs.

Spirulina:  Vitamin Shoppe seems to have the best prices, but it is so hard to mix that I bought capsules.

Bee pollen:   It is very cheap at Vitamin Shoppe.  Like $12 if I remember correctly.

Anyways here was my wishlist from a month ago:

Catuaba- Erythroxylum catuaba 1/2lb (224gm) $15.96
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/catuaba-erythroxylum-catuaba-p-1472.html

Ptychopetalum olacoides- Muira Puama Bark 1/2lb (224gms) $8.25
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/ptychopetalum-olacoides-muira-puama-bark-p-2548.html

Paullinia cupana- Guarana Seeds- 1/2lb (224gm) $8.99
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/paullinia-cupana-guarana-seeds-p-1391.html

Rhodiola rosea- Rhodiola Root 1/2lb (224gms) $13.45
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/rhodiola-rosea-rhodiola-root-p-2550.html

Acai Berry- 1/2lb (224gms)
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/acai-berry-p-2513.html

Sambucus nigra- Elder Berries 1/2lb (224gms) $12.25
https://www.heavenly-products.com/cart/sambucus-nigra-elder-berries-p-2554.html

If you know of better prices from a single company, let me know. ;)

As for less than $5 a dose, if you order these:

Peganum harmala (Syrian Rue) Seeds 1 OZ (28 gms) $7.25
Mimosa Hostilis (Purple/Pink) 1/4 LB Root Bark (112g) $28.96

10 grams of boiled mimosa will make an average strengh dose, so if you do the math it ends up less that $5.

His yellow caapi vine is cheap, but the first time I did an extensive 3 hr boil x 3 using red wine vinegar and chacruna.   Two sessions I drank it and got no DMT effect.  Just got purging from the rear end.

I read that if you boil a good dose of caapi ~50 grams, you could take a lower dose of mimosa 2-5grams.

But for some reason my first caapi boil had no entheogenic effect.

Speaking of paradoxes, I got some insight into that with Aya but another time to share those as I can't explain myself well at this time.  But I did seem to think that Life was Funny and got insight on the Cosmic Joke.

Anyways I have been listening to podcasts trying to gain insight on some of the Ancient Mysteries:

Mystery Babylon Series – William Cooper
http://freeviewdocumentaries.com/2011/02/22/mystery-babylon-series-william-cooper/

* PDF transcript with MP3 files.  I read part of his book Behold the Pale Horse and he knows a lot of the New World Order, and he breaks it down in his program here.

Podcast Show # 61 John Lamb Lash (Non Background Music Version)]

For this show we have special guest John Lash (Author of "Not in His Image: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief") with us discussing philosophy of his radical revision of Gnosticism and its true message.

http://www.cosmicgnostic.com/pod61nonmusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LorjZibQMX0

* I never really heard a good breakdown of Gnosticism until I heard this podcast.  Very interesting - sounds like a Sci-Fi religion that explains all other myths.  I think you will enjoy this talk if you have any inkling of interest in comparative mythologies, astronomy.

skinny

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
Skimmed this interesting pdf study and found an insight confirmed by plant medicine...

CHARLATANS, SEEKERS, AND SHAMANS: THE AYAHUASCA BOOM IN WESTERN PERUVIAN AMAZONIA
By Joshua E. Homan

Submitted to the graduate degree program in Anthropology and the Graduate Faculty of the
University of Kansas in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts.

The length of the dieta is directly related to the power of the shaman.

For example, among the Jivaro, the longer one is able to observe the restrictions of the dieta, the
more powerful he becomes. Only if an apprenticing shaman is able to abstain from sexual intercourse and other restricted activities for five months will he have the ability to either cure or kill. However, to be truly proficient in the shamanic arts one must observe a strict diet for a full year (Harner 1973:20; Chaumeil 1979:43).

Luna sees a similar theme among urban mestizo shamans in Iquitos, with the length of the diet determining the amount of knowledge the shaman has as well as his power (Luna 1986:51

http://www.memeticshift.com/down/Homan%20-%20Thesis.pdf?mid=50

skinny

Offline rez_runner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »
Every time I've done ayahuasca on my own I've had a bad trip.  Negative, scary, ill feelings and a gross heaviness feeling and pretty much all fear the whole time.  The one time I did it in peru however, with a shaman, it was complete beauty and I felt completely cleansed and healed.  I felt pretty blessed as he turned out to be a gifted shaman

Offline DiamondHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
I just talked to a guy who has taken Aya a number of times but always in Peru under the guidance of a shaman. When I brought up the idea of making the Aya himself, he was horrified. It went against everything he had learnt from his teacher/shaman and he went on about how dangerous it is to take Aya without the protection of a shaman watching over you.

I know a number of folks on here brew their own. Curious to know how they feel about this and whether they think they are taking any risks.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
I just talked to a guy who has taken Aya a number of times but always in Peru under the guidance of a shaman. When I brought up the idea of making the Aya himself, he was horrified. It went against everything he had learnt from his teacher/shaman and he went on about how dangerous it is to take Aya without the protection of a shaman watching over you.

I know a number of folks on here brew their own. Curious to know how they feel about this and whether they think they are taking any risks.

To echo Entheo, yes, what are the risks you take into account?
And my inner guide tells me not to do aya without an elder/shaman present. 
Could anyone compare these risks to 5-MeO-DMT (I will start a new thread if need be on this one....)

I realize this is likely a long list of pros and cons and variables, so any input is appreciated.