Author Topic: Germination of T.iboga Seeds  (Read 22864 times)

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Germination of T.iboga Seeds
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Thanks roach - welcome. Be interested in hearing how the cuttings take too!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

fallout330

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »
Thanks GratefulDad, I certainly have air exchange holes at the bottom of the chamber, as well as some on the top plastic wrap that is covering it.  Thanks for your response.

Same here Cal, would like to hear how they grow roach.

Peace

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »
Ja mon, cuttings would be berry berry cool! 

Just saw it written that both the primary (tap) root and secondary (feeder) roots are used for their medico-spiritual properties in Africa.  (Dang, shoulda got the link!)  Am wondering:  Would it be possible to do root-division with a bunch of feeder roots?

The only sad news is that it takes from 3 to 4 years for plants to get to minimal size in their home environment.

Has anyone heard about 'rock iboga' that grows on top of a rock?  Wonder what kind of rock is preferred?  Thinking it might be possible to set up a plant on top of a rock, bonsai style, and use hydro/aero-ponics...

Good to meet you, roach!  As you can see, many of us found your post very interesting.

Welcome!

Eon

fallout330

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »
Sounds very interesting Eon, I was wondering myself in regards to germination on top of a rock based substrate in some sense.  Looks like Hydo/aero-poincs would be a very cool experiment.

Offline roach

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
Hey everyone,

Germination Process:

Seeds were planted into Jiffy pellets and put into a standard 72 compartment propagation chamber such as the one found here

http://www.atlantishydroponics.com/Plant-Propagation-Tools/Viagrow-Complete-Propagation-and-Cloning-Kit.asp

I'm not a fan of the Jiffy pellets but it was all I had at the time. One advantage of using Jiffy pellets over soil or a potting mix was that I could check each pellet to see if the root was starting to come out the bottem and remove a bit of the soil from the top so the seed head didn't get stuck.

The propagation chamber was placed on a heat mat ( http://www.atlantishydroponics.com/Plant-Propagation-Tools/Super-Sprouter-Super-Sprouter-Seedling-Heat-Mat-10x21.asp ) and Sun Blaster 54 watt lights were turned on for 24 hours a day. After 3 weeks iboga sprouts started to pop out of the soil.

If the seed coat didn't come off by itself take moist vermiculite and cover the seed head for 12-24 hours. Shake or dust off the vermiculte then slowly remove the seed coat with your fingers. A small amount of force is used. Becareful not to rip the young sprout in half.

5-6 weeks later the seedlings will planted into 8 inch pots and placed inside a mini greenhouse. I have a fogger setup to come on for 8 seconds every 10 min, the lights are left on 24 hours a day and the door is open a bit for fresh air.

Hope this helps. I should be able to get pics within a 2-4 weeks. 

-roach

PS I live in Canada and T.iboga is legal here.

fallout330

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Thanks for link to the germination chamber and additional information roach, peace! 

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Germination of T.iboga Seeds
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »
I've split the "Hydroponics" thread because we were getting off on a different topic: and one I'd like to see have its own discussion.

So, if there are any more ideas considering germination teks, cuttings, etc. we can now post them here. I'd love to see more on this, and hopefully soon we can see a grow log. Thanks, Cal.

fallout330

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
Very good Cal, thanks. 

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
Thanks, roach.

The method I used was passed on to me, I germinated 3/5, ended up with two. Unfortunately, they were fried when a loving helper changed the bulb for me using a much higher wattage. It happens.

I got a clear plastic tub with lid and mutilated a desk lamp to fit into it, cord out the hole in the bottom.

I put the seeds in a small terra cotta pot. Moistened organic potting soil 3/4 up the pot, the seeds placed on top, not pushed in, not covered. On top of that some sphagnum moss, about an inch and a half. Kept the moss moist with a spray bottle.

I would take the lid off the makeshift terrarium during the day, well, not off, but agley, for air circulation. At night I would leave the smallest crack to preserve heat.

I learned about misting the seedcoat from the first sprout. The seed coat was hard and dry, I didn't think I should mess with it, though. I'd kept the environment moist enough, I thought, but apparently not. I would spray the sides of the terrarium a couple times a day. The first sprout withereed in it's coat. The next two did great, was misting with a spray bottle a few times a day.

Mold was a small issue initially. I put a drop of hydrogen peroxide on the seeds, let it sit about a minute, then rinsed them.

Tia

fallout330

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
I"m wondering if I'm introducing too much humidity within the chamber with the Perlite at the bottom.  I guess I'll find out  :o

Offline roach

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
The humidity should be fine as long as you have the heat.

fallout330

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
Sounds good roach, heating pad is taking care of that.  I realize also that airflow is important to prevent harmful fungus.

Nganga Nobunoni +

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:52 AM »
Loving this thread folks' Awesome stuff' am looking forewards to seeing some pics of these darling little plants'

Much good energies to you all'

Bliss!

Nobu +

fallout330

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
Beautiful plant  :D

So far only 1 germinated, but I'm thankful!

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:14:48 PM by calaquendi »

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Awesome fallout! Keep up the good work!