Author Topic: Guidelines for Sitters  (Read 5801 times)

Offline gloriadeo

• View Profile
Guidelines for Sitters
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »
Bwitings to you All
i am compiling a sticky for the forum:
Guidelines for Sitters

could you let me have your suggestions for people based on your own experience, please.  this is important.
what worked for you - and what didn't work for you. 
what you would like from your sitter - and also what you dont want
you can either PM me or make suggestions here on the forum.
when i have a comprehensive set and have put it together i will ask the Mods to OK it and add it here on the Forum.

many thanks

in Truth and Beauty

. . and with Love

Gloria Deo
"The art of the medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
Re: Guidelines for Sitters
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

Hi Gloria,

I'll give you a couple of don'ts and make sures if ya want:

Don't drink alcohol for a few months for it seems to purge the noribogaine from your system.

Don't do it all by yourself.

Make sure you have a good setting and in a fair mood or better.

Be prepared to purge and keep the puke bucket nearby.

When the Exp is over do not take the first hit, shot, drink, etc.

Avoid bad places like bars, people who are using and that.

I know this is all simple and common sense but that's how people screw up.

Best,

Roy

Offline zxxz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
I would recommend a sitter that
- you know and trust
- you won't have a problem asking to help you get to the toilet...
- preferably knows quite a lot about ibogaine, and can guide you through the darkest parts if necessary
- can, if needed, once in a while walk over and just touch your hand lightly or otherwise let you know there's still a human reality out there, or who is comfortable guiding you and soothing you if you bad trip
- is service minded and will do what you want, preferably before you ask, and without questions (open the window when you get too hot, inform you that what you're hearing is the fan in the other room and not an airplane crashing into the building, give you water, wash the floor if you puke all over it, etc.)
- will stay awake and in the same room for at least 12 hours, in the same apartment and preferably awake for as long as the hallucinations last (app. 24 hours), and in the same apartment more or less all the time for as long as the trip lasts (2-3 days)

You might also want to ask the sitter to write a log with short notes on what happens, if anything happens, like at what hour you pulled off all your clothes in panic over the heated body, at what hour you puked if you did, at what hour you said something and what you said, at what hour you started being more awake, etc. It really does help the navigation of what you experienced and when.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:48:14 PM by zxxz »

Offline gloriadeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »
Basse.

i include here a recent exchange between someone i sat with for their first flood (using root-bark) and myself.
it seems appropriate to put it here.

"Since my original flood with you, I went on to flood a second time at a higher dose and had my third eye open. That was an amazing sensation and I've been meditating a lot more recently. Generally I feel much more in touch with my spiritual side and find life is clearer to me. Iboga is an interesting plant medecine and I feel I understand it well. I think I will get to explore it more in months and years to come.

I also recently travelled to Indonesia. A close friend wanted to flood. After a lot of discussion, I finally agreed to sit for her and it was a very interesting experience. She didn't get the journey as described on the forums which I found intruiging. She got all the chaotic, negative thinking at the beginning and then nothing else. I guess the Wood gives people what they need, when they need it.

my reply:

i am moved to make some observations re your comments above. . .
yes.  for most people the Wood changes their reality. 
the problem is that the mind would like me to believe that everything is just the same.  it isn't.  the trick is to stay with the intuition.  what BL calls 'me'.  sounds like you have clocked this.
as for your friend.  not everyone is ready to meet the consciousness of the Wood - and i sense that her experience may illustrate this.  the 'nothing' is the truth.  but unless i have the intelligence and self-knowlege to see this it will seem just nothing.  and my sense is that the Wood in its inimitable way has shown her exactly what she needs; the chaotic idiocy of her mind and her only reality - nothing.  but until we are ready the nothing can seem empty and unbearable.
my experience is that to make the most of what the Wood has to offer it must be taken as a sacrament in a ceremonial setting and preparing to meet it is essential.  in this way the most efficient neural pathways are opened - through intent and invocation - for its entry into the consciousness of the celebrant.
this is how it has been used by the Bwiti for milllenia.

there is a world of difference, to me, between being just a 'sitter' and a ceremonial facilitator. 

all the best with your exploration! 
the Wood is in charge. . .

Basse "

ps BL -  Barry Long  Australian Spiritual Master   http://www.barrylong.org/index.shtml

"The art of the medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:27 AM »
there is a world of difference, to me, between being just a 'sitter' and a ceremonial facilitator

=The Kambo aka Guardian of the Ceremony

Great lines Gloriadeo.

I find as well ceremonies conducted outside are somehow far more spiritual and conducive to the spirits.  One's done inside it seems to clog the energy a bit.  The day after I have found that music is not so good for them and that podcasts with wonderful information are nice.  Personally I like Red Ice Creations and just feeding there tired brain with possibilites.

Love yah!

Offline gloriadeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
Aha! 

dear K.I.A.P. . . the words of the Initiated.   :D

thank you

Basse

Offline TANYA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
it sounds like (and i havent done the flood) that you really have to be in a good space mentally or a good mood before you do it. i remember for my own personal experiences, thats how it was with marijuana. if you were feeling bad before, you would feel worse after. if you were in an averagew to good mood before, then you would feel better after.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
You can feel pretty awful going into the flood, and emerge feeling much better.  It's pretty common to be nervous and scared, as well as starting withdrawal, so probably anxious and depressed, as well.  Cannabis is nothing like iboga..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline BlueTiger

• Pathological Liar, Thief & Preyer of the Vunerable
  • Global Moderator
  • I am nothing. I waste space. I deserve nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
I am not a doctor and this cannot be interrupted as medical advise.  However, I have learned that you are supposed to wait until you hit a 6 or 7(out of 10) on the pain scale before flooding for detoxing from fast acting opiates. 

It is vital to know if you are a viable candidate for Ibogaine before trying it.  For example, you cannot take Ibogaine on suboxone or methadone because they are long lasting opiates that will cause harm to your heart if mixed with Ibogaine before waiting the appropriate amount of half lives.  If you are obese, a smoker, IV drug user, these are all potentially fatal combinations with Ibogaine.  As for psychological preparedness, that's a much bigger speculation.  Most important, you must know if you are a physically viable candidate before trying Ibogaine. 

I don't care if a family looses their five children because of me..as long as it gets me high for the night! :D

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
I took a test dose of iboga extract about 24 hours after my last methadone dose, and flooded that evening, so I still had methadone in my system when I flooded with 5 grams of TA, and I weighed 140 lbs at the time..  It worked very well, and I never went in to too much withdrawal..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:01:09 AM by GratefulDad »
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline BlueTiger

• Pathological Liar, Thief & Preyer of the Vunerable
  • Global Moderator
  • I am nothing. I waste space. I deserve nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
I think that the 6 or 7 guideline is meant to minimize the w/d's overall.  For example, if you flood at a level 3, you will likely experience mild w/d the following days after flooding.  If you wait til you hit the 7 marker, you are more likely to fully block ALL receptors with the newly created nueropeptides.  This is what prevents you from perceiving the pain from w/d.  The ibogaine essentially changes the way these receptors conduct chemistry.  Therefore, you want ALL receptors to be effected by this.  We don't just go into detox instantly and full blown, no, it develops and evolves into a sequence of detox symptoms.  The worse the detox, the more effective the Ibogaine flood.  Does that make sense?   
I am not an expert, even the experts aren't experts.  But I think most would agree with this notion?
I don't care if a family looses their five children because of me..as long as it gets me high for the night! :D

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:11 AM »
The worse the detox, the more effective the Ibogaine flood.  Does that make sense?   
I am not an expert, even the experts aren't experts.  But I think most would agree with this notion?

Yeah -  this is pretty much the case and surely the 'preferred' protocol to follow: If for no other reason than the contrast one feels during the acute phase - if once they have availed to wait until they totally couldn't take it anymore to begin...pretty much a form of shock treatment in many regards at this point, in that its surreal how effective this is against very severe WD.

Detox, detox-ing and addictions are such a subtle business, with all the intricacy and idiosyncrasies we can imagine from person to person.  That leaves so much room for subjective experience; variables like pain thresholds, familiarity with deeply altered states of consciousness, prior detox attempts, what kind of dope for how long etc...it is literally endless in minutia. We have some obvious and some not so obvious generalities and consensus to go on: reliability of opiod detox to behave certain ways, pretty well documented effective dosing protocols and a willingly cooperative community of experienced former users and those involved in legal facilitation of these 'experimental' treatment modalities. 

But needing to quit (or even be truly ready to quit) is never the same as wanting to quit. I had to learn this over and again. Ibogaine does what its proposed to do, if the right dose of the right kind of medicine is taken, in the right set and setting, and protocols are followed to the 't' - ibogaine always does what it is made for, every single time. It is how we react, our attitudes about the process, our willingness to approach this openly with as little preconceived notions as possible - that marks our best chance for lasting success. This chemical will get on you, get in you, get all over you in a big way and at the very very least it will do what it does biologically even if there is little or no deep psychedelia involved. If the dose is high enough there will almost always be deeper levels of vision, especially when the full alkaloids are used. I think the best medicine for opiate detox is 25mg'kg of ibogaine - with around 10mg/kg or so of that being TA. This holds up its end man...

Flooding is hard hard hard. People sometimes expect they won't have to put in anything like real work, I know this was my own disposition early on. But you will be called upon to participate.

I really like what you said about "even the experts aren't experts" - wonderful and spot on observation. I have worked with some incredibly gifted and truly caring people around this medicine in many different ways, and the best providers, or sitters, are the ones with enough experience and humility to understand this notion and apply that to themselves, this sets apart 'real' workers IMO...not only this of course, but it is an essential idea and a very important part of the character of a process, especially for whoever is the one making the new beginning.

You seem well researched and discerning and it feels like you care a deal for other people and are strongly interested in doing what you can to be a part of growing this immense work. I am glad to have your presence here and wish you well on your journies with iboga. Please stick around and keep sharing! Cal
" I am you and what I see is me..."