Author Topic: Anxiety remedy - Ashwagandha  (Read 2670 times)

Offline zingdoozer

• View Profile
Anxiety remedy - Ashwagandha
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:00:58 AM »
Whilst, I admittedly don't suffer from (too much) anxiety. i have issues with it from time to time, usually neuroticising over unimportant stuff.

I also have a very bad habit of not always attending to housekeeping i.e. doing the uncomfortable stuff that keeps the wheels turning like taxes, and CPD/portfolio stuff. This leads to background stress, and has stress hormones like cortisol continually dripping into my system.

I'm of the opinion that anxiety (or depression) is a signal from your body that you have to do something. And in my case it is of course, to do the effing housekeeping. However, since I have been awful with it for years, the other solution is to cut down on the anxiety. I use several methods to do this, cannabis, avoidance, drowing myself in work, and telling myself everything's hunky dory and not to sweat the small stuff.

But that doesn't escape the fact that the stress hormones keep dripping and I will find something or the other to be anxious about. I guess even if I do do the housekeeping, there's always a constant of things that HAVE to be done.

So voila, ashwagandha. Excellent for anti anxiety, anti stress with it's pro GABA-A GABA-B properties.

Been having it the past week. Anxiety reduces immediately after. And background anxiety levels decrease too. I'm feeling pretty fecking good too, but then again am doing a lot of other stuff that would be / is making me feel good.

500 mg once daily.  A lot of people have it a half hour before stressful situations too for e.g. an exam or an interview.

it has a whole host of other purported uses (a lot of which have been clinically proven) like - anti depressant effect, nerve regeneration, anti arthritic, alzheimer's, parkinson's, epilepsy, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti cancer, anti gastric ulcer, etc etc.

I'm not aware it has to be cycled. But I'd suggest a week off every 3 weeks. Give the all important GABA receptors some space, as they're probably the primary inhibhitor neurotransmitter complex in the brain.

If you were having one healthy, massive evidence based, safe, ayurvedic drug. Make it this bad boy.

Link to a systematic review of Ashwagandha's evidence based medical use's.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:33:07 AM by zingdoozer »

Offline lightswitchedon

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anxiety remedy - Ashwagandha
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
I have been taking 350mg ashwagandha root extract at bedtime for the past 2 weeks with good results.  I sleep all the way through the night and also fall asleep rather quickly.  This adaptogenic herb certainly reduces or normalizes stress and anxiety.

old, but good article:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/jun2006_report_ashwa_01.htm

Offline BlueTiger

• Pathological Liar, Thief & Preyer of the Vunerable
  • Global Moderator
  • I am nothing. I waste space. I deserve nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Anxiety remedy - Ashwagandha
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
What forms of Ashwagandha do ya'll take?

Is it the standardized extract (sensoril)? 

And if you have taken both, do you notice a difference?

Lastly, may I ask, any past addictions/daily use of benzos?  And if so, how does the regimen of your specific type of this herb compare? 

Much Love,

Blue
I don't care if a family looses their five children because of me..as long as it gets me high for the night! :D