Author Topic: Which method for my situation?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Robin

• View Profile
Which method for my situation?
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Hi.  I'm looking to treat my constant, mid-level anxiety and help stop the other mental health problems that are stacking up because of it.  I don't have panic attacks or stay up at night worrying about things, but I feel a constant low level panic and hypervigilance that destroys my concentration and prevents me finding any joy in activities I know I should be enjoying.  I've read about people having promising results from ibogaine, and reading about it does make it seem like it might be just the thing that breaks through whatever mental or chemical barrier I keep getting stopped by, but I'm having trouble determining if I should try the typical clinic treatment or try something that might be better suited for my specific situation.  Flood dose, micro dose, something in between, give both a shot?  I've still got a lot to read and learn but in the meantime does anyone have opinions/suggestions based on your own experience?

EDIT:  Thought of a something I should add.  I basically have no experience with psychedelics.  Tried LSD once but I guess I slept through the experience, or it was just a bad dose.  Not really sure how ecstasy is classified, only that it can be used therapeutically, but I tried it once (under dicey circumstances) as well to no noticeable effect. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:52:07 PM by Robin »

Offline ryu

• View Profile
Re: Which dosage for my situation?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
Hi Robin,

My default setting seems to be similar to yours. In my experience I have sound that microdosing iboga has a stimulating effect and can enhance the anxiety I can sometimes feel in the background.

Flood doses are very effective but a flood can be an ordeal. Whilst iboga is a great teacher it comes at a price. A flood is hard on the body and is a long stretch. I came to iboga to help me break an addiction. The addiction had me on my knees spiritually, financially, emotionally and physically. Iboga has definitely helped me keep a distance from the destructive nature of the addictive mind.

As I said before anxiety seems to be part of my default setting. I can accept this and cope with it in comparison to the addiction as the mid range anxiety by comparison.

Bottom line is I wouldn't participate in flood again unless I was desperate. I love the spirit of iboga but its a hard teacher.

I like to take supplements to help with my anxiety. The amino acid NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) seems to quieter the brain down like an iboga flood dose does.

Iboga is also an NMDA receptor antagonistic. This also contributes to an anti anxiety effect. An alternative here would be Magnesium ( preferably as a spray as magnesium is not well absorbed )

All of the above ( iboga included) seem to quieter or reduce Glutamate levels. Seems glutamate is often a culprit where anxiety is concerned.

Wishing you the best in your quest for inner peace.

Ryu

Offline Robin

• View Profile
Re: Which method for my situation?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
Thanks for your wisdom.  It's hard to find people with the type of anxiety I have.  Most seem to have more acute attacks.

Questions:  It seems that benzos are sometimes offered in clinic flood sessions.  Would microdosing in combination with a light dose of clonazepam be a possibility?  Instinctively, it seems like a horrible idea, but less so intellectually, and I need to have moments of calm if I'm going to have insight.

Did anxiety play a role in your addiction?  I'm already getting to the point where I'm using things I know I shouldn't in order to get a moment of peace, so addiction is a rapidly increasing concern.

Offline ryu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:58:59 AM »
Hi Robin,

Not sure about Benzos.  I have only used them on a couple of occasions when desperate. They seemed to quieten the mind by increasing gaba but there is always a sacrifice and unbalancing effect on other receptor sites. for example if gaba or serotonin levels are increases then dopamine levels are reduced. Everything seems to be about balance.

Have you also looked into pre and probiotics yet. There seems to be a lot of research and evidence suggesting that gut microflora health plays a massive part in emotional wellbeing. Water and milk kefir seem pretty good as does cultured/fermented foods.

Personally I think you have to careful with combining iboga with anything, its a powerful plant which works on multiple receptor sites and additional interferences might comprise your well being further.

Anxiety placed a large part in my addictive behaviour. I believe I was self medicating to change the anxious mind set.

Acceptance is a big help. Have you taken part in any mindfulness or pranayama sessions at all. They can be a great help.

I have an addictive nature. I'm ok with this. I just ensure that my addictions help rather than hinder my well being.  My current addictions are research and exercise.

Ryu

Offline lbark

• Donating Member
  • Like to talk about Iboga? I like to listen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
Hi Robin hope you are doing better. I know from helping people in similar situations that a lot of it comes down to or our mind and the thoughts we have. At the same time you need something to break the cycle of the anxiety you are feeling is; iboga(ine)

I wouldn't recommend a clinical setting as it sounds like are dealing with spiritual issues. I see most of the problems we humans deal with as spiritual issues. Some people may disagree and that's cool, but after working with people for years with iboga I have seen what works and what doesn't.

From similar experiences it is not something that benzos are supplements will fix. Supplements can be helpful for sure but you have to turn the corner first. You need to change the thoughts you have that bring the anxiety on.

We have anxiety from the thoughts we have. It is all how we think about something that causes a feeling in us. If those thoughts are running wild we are going to feel bad.

Sounds to me you need to find a spot that does some life coaching or if you do the medicine on your own work with someone who does some counseling before and after your experience. It is not the preferred way but sometimes that is the only option.

Hope this helps get you rolling on the right path.

I come from a similar background as yourself and have moved past it.

Best wishes to you.
*Excuse typos on a little tablet.
Basse' to my Posse'