Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 21455 times)

Offline sassyfras

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Another new member
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a while now, joined about a week ago but have had too much going on in my life to take the time for a proper introduction. I'm delighted with the "feel" of this forum....a high degree of intelligence/knowledge/experience of the subject matter combined with so much compassion & caring. I also see some healthy spirited debate/discussion happening, which is great when it is done with civility the way it is here.

I am a 62 year old woman (yup, one of the original hippies) who got addicted to prescription oxycontin 7 years ago after having tried a vast array of "natural" treatments as well as many other pharmaceuticals before trying opiates. I have fibromyalgia, CFS, degenerative disc disease and gastroparesis, so I deal with some pretty severe pain, but it was the extreme fatigue/lack of motivation,"lead suit" from the CFS that was my most debilitating set of symptoms....I somehow stayed alive through nearly 3 years being in a state almost identical to a severe case of P.A.W.S.(before I was finally diagnosed) & this was before I had ever taken an opiate. When I was given the oxys, they greatly relieved my pain, but more important to me...they completely got rid of all those horrid CFS symptoms and I very quickly went from being nearly 90% bedridden to being able to function, & function very well again.

I knew NOTHING about addiction back then, it simply had not ever been a topic in my life. I DID drink too much in my '30's but had no problem quitting that and I suppose I had the same attitude so many have about addiction~~~that it only happened to weak, somehow morally challenged people~~~never to someone like me who was independent & disciplined! Ha.

That was then. In the meantime I've learned that opiates take away a whole lot more than our pain and I've become obsessed with finding a way back to an opiate free life. A challenge for me because I am not healthy or strong enough to put myself through major withdrawals...at one point during a methadone detox I had a stroke...so my hope is to find a reasonably gentle means of getting free. I had thought that Kratom would help me, & it did in so far as as helping me by using it to stretch the totally inadequate dosage of oxys my doctor gives me but it's a very mixed blessing.

Anyway, when I first began to learn about Iboga I thought this might be the way for me....and I hope/pray that it still may be....but probably not in a flood dose application. So I've been searching high & low trying to find any info. about using it in a microdosing protocol, over a longer period of time. I read a very interesting article in Mindvox about a group of chronic pain patients who found that they needed to keep on taking their opiate meds after trying to detox with a flood dose of Ibogaine. So they were taking from 25 - 50 mg Ibogaine HCL per day in order to keep their opiate tolerance as low as possible & this seemed to be working very well for them. They would dose with the Ibo for 3 weeks and then take a week off. I got very hopeful after reading that and ordered some root bark from Shamanic Extracts.

i used a mortar & pestle to grind it down into the finest powder possible & encapsulated it. I took from 250 mg - 500 mg per day for several days and though I felt absolutely nothing, no effects whatsoever, I WAS able to get by with less oxys...and on the day after I stopped dosing I noticed that my general mood seemed much better. But...this was all so subtle that I have no way of knowing whether or not it was simply a placebo effect. I decided to order more root bark from a vendor with a better reputation and to hopefully gather more info about microdosing.( I stopped because I had only ordered a very small amount to begin with.)

I think it was Nobu who said something about a person needing to do a flood dose before using the microdosing method. I would LOVE to do a flood dose ( I'm no stranger to visionary journeys, have worked & played with other entheogens in my time..) but am not confidant about my body being able to handle that at this point. So my big question now is~~~is there any way that I can safely get some of the benefits/blessings of Iboga using other methods?

I think I'm probably just at the tip of a demographic iceberg....thousands of older opiate addicts with underlying health conditions that make most detox modalities too difficult/unsafe. We need help too, we still value out lives & long to have as much freedom back as possible! Even if I could just lower my tolerance I would be happy.....but doing so on my own takes days of misery just to lower it the teensiest bit.

I've just received an order of root bark from "Reset Nu" and want to get started with this asap, as soon as I have a bit more info as I want to do it right this time, with carefully measured doses, change of diet if necessary & meticulous note-keeping so that my experiments might be of help to others too. I would be SO grateful for anything anyone here could share with me about doing this!

BTW, "Riverhaven" is a dear friend of mine and one of the sweetest, most intelligent and most compassionate people I've ever been blessed to know. So happy to see you here too, River!!!! ( Please pm me...there must have been some kind of a screw up at the other forum...WTF happened???) ???

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better~~~ ;D

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Welcome to Eboka Sassyfras!  This seems to be a hot topic, as I have spoke to several of our more mature crowd about the same type of questions.  We are all still learning.  I am assuming the study you were speaking about, sometimes called dirty maintenance, is online somewhere in PDF format and I'll try and post it on the forums here. 

Reset.nu does have a great reputation, so the bark should be great quality.  I am looking forward to hearing people's results using lower dosing regimens.  I have done several floods myself, and loads of boosters and low doses just for the numerous benefits it gives, not so much for a specific problem any more. 

Glad to have you aboard, as this information will prove very valuable for others like you out there trying to do what they can with iboga, but safely.  I'll be looking forward to all you can share, and will keep an eye out for any relevant information I come across in my studies.  Working together, I think we can really find what it is each of us are looking for, or need.

Again, glad to have you aboard!
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
sassy!

Welcome, I'm glad you're here!

Shamanic Extracts has had a pretty bad rep for rootbark in the past. I'd just chalk it up to experience.

I wouldn't rule out a flood dose of Iboga yet, unless you are just set against it. It's a very healing experience, and doses are adjusted for age as well as other factors.

On microdosing, keep in mind that RB is about 5% active alkaloids. Most people can 'feel it' working at about 100mg of active alkaloids. That's about 2g of RB. About two teaspoonfuls. :)
I'd call that a booster dose, and not microdose. Just me, I don't think there's an 'official' dose chart, lol.
Those who are sensitive to the Wood can also feel the much smaller microdoses. I use about a half teaspoonful/nickel (coin) sized pile/two capsules/300-600mg at a time, if that gives you any indication. I can always feel it, even at that dose. I have no active addictions besides tobacco.

Roy on here can tell you about how a flood dose gives a 'discount on pain'. I think those are his exact words. :) He's also flooded and is in your age range...tmi, Roy?

I have heard of sub flood doses Iboga being used to get off easier on one's drug of choice, but have not yet heard of successful addiction interruption on sub flood doses.

Please do keep us posted! We all learn together when we share here. :)

Offline riverhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
Hi Sassy-- Thanks for the kind words and I am glad my joining got you out of the closet LOL...  I keep telling you that lots of clinics only want healthy addicts -- deaths are bad for business.  There are a whole host of us who aren't healthy and they will automatically say no to you.  They will run out of healthy addicts LOL-- we tend to end up not so healthy over time.  It's also a matter of training-- as an anesthesiologist with some ICU training-- things like a prolonged qt interval on an EKG don't throw me into a panic.... but some PHd psychologist running the program will for sure be changing his/her pants LOL...  I really meant it on that other board that I'd love to set up an ibogaine clinic-- and I wouldn't turn people like you away.  You get a sense of what you can handle in anesthesia training and so my threshold is a lot higher.  However, microdosing right now seems to be your only option and I think you too should try it.....

Offline sassyfras

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
 :) Thank you so  much for the warm welcome, everyone! I'm feeling pretty close to tears & I don't cry easily....but just the thought of there being some hope for me, (maybe even being able to do a flood?) is so precious to me. I've been feeling very much at the end of my tether lately, as if one road after another has come to a dead end. I'm sure most of you have felt that at some point in the rocky path off opiates! I think I was almost afraid of joining this forum and being told that Iboga cannot help me unless I do a flood & then what??? So I'm feeling a bit more hopeful again now and very determined to learn all I can about the most optimum use of Iboga for older addicts such as myself. It's good to know I'm not the only ancient one here too!

Lynn, I've posted at our other forum and whatever went wrong should soon be straightened out. No way are we going to let you disappear!

Offline riverhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
Well thanks... I did get pretty bummed.  But you know me-- I firmly believe in things happening for a reason, karma and perhaps we two were meant to be here now for a reason....

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
I read a post above and wanted to defend S.E. .
If anyoune has a question about what i said just spend the $25 and purchase 2 grams .
It is stronger than anything i have had from and other distributer .

It is stronger than sample that anyone has sent me .

this is an exert from a email i wrote my friend today  .........

3 grams of rb from SE is very very strong . I now know why i flooded so good the first time . i took 30 grams that was made into an excellent TA !
I killed my opiate addiction , killed it !  i tried  a boost yesterday  of 4 grams  - i still have 2 caps left ! 2 0f 5 ( 4 grams split up between ) though one is only half full and i took that too . what i am getting at is i still have 2 000 sized gelgaps left !!!   i actually only had taken about 2.6 or so and it really rocked my boat !
IT IS DEFFINATELY THE BEST RB EVER .
i had 30 grams saved up for my 6 month follow up but didnt take it because i wanted to try lab TA and maybe better understand its prowess.
yesterday is the first time ive tried SE rb since my flood 8 months ago.
it is so strong stronger than anything ive ever had and ive had rb from 4 sources now and all different types of  materials.
I strongly belive that paging $25 a2 gram baggie to grt up to your flood dose ( once you find that out) .  Its top notch.
i order the 25 dollar stuff but the often send me the 30 stuff thats blessed by the bwiti - and i do not think that is a come on when they say that either.
i think its the most real deal out there .
Nobu said quality quality Rb can produce visuals at 8 grams .  
I am going to tell you something you will understand that if you ever took 3 g of RB from SE and that is you would diffenately see visuals !!

I have taken up to 12 grams of the same RB you tried and though i felt alot it was not even close to the Quality of the SE rb !!

no clue till yesterday , no clue !
IB
VOLCANA is a purple/lavender/pink (kinda like mimosa rb )
its easy to see the difference , easy - they can powder it to try to blend it though .

Thanks again ----- for all the cheer .
I look forward to chatting again.

Much love and Mahalo

- bee

PS  I told Aihab about it today and i am telling Ibogaworld soon as I  square things up with Michelle about another matter .
- how good that bark was from SE !!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:15:38 AM by harveyplex »

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
Good to know Shamanic Extracts is now giving quality bark, but at $25 bucks for 2 grams, it damn sure better be!  That is over double the highest price I have heard to date..  That's $1250 bucks, plus shipping for 100 grams.  That ain't much less than the price of a whole kilo (1000 g) from the best prices I have found through a few other suppliers..  It had better be 10 times as good as anything out there for me to consider it..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline riverhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
I used SE for my March booster-- and since I've done a flood- I do KNOW when I've gotten the good stuff or not-- and the SE stuff was good for me too.  I got a nice buzzing in my ears and some open eye visions from it.  Clearly it was good root bark....but then I kept hearing bad stuff about them, and it did take almost 6 weeks to get here, so I ordered from iboga world.  Let's hope I get good stuff there too....

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »
I know $$$$ , I know $$$$$$ !!  
I could not believe how strong it is !!
ive taken 12 grams of RB for a boost after my flood .
Though i spaced out the dosage then but the amount i took yesterday blew that 12 grams away !!!
Blown Away  !!
I agree its too expensive but its very , very good (9/10 maybe?) .

I am looking at different RB out there . I am only going to buy rb from now on TA is too expesive .
I can make a good TA (learned from the pros last December ) and i think thats the best most affordable way to go !
 .... now i need a top quality RB source .

- hp

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
its the same thing that continue to float around .
If you havent tried something you shouldnt talk bad about it .
 Thanks for your good word on them too they need some good things to be said about them.
- hp

fallout330

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
Good to hear of the positive experience HP.  I believe someone on the board had a bad experience with SE in the past, by receiving Voacanga root bark instead of T. Iboga RB.   :(

Thanks for sharing the info HP.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Harvey, how much of this excellent bark do you think it'd take for a full on flood for someone like me?  I mean I realize you don't know my tolerance or whatever, but maybe judging from what I have described here in my dosages and stuff, how much do you think I'd need?  
GratefulDad

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
Really good to hear there's new info on the quality from Shamanic Extracts!
I do know that sometimes suppliers don't know what they're getting, and send it out without testing for themselves.
Love to support a good company. But, I gotta say, I'm happy where I'm at, and the price from SE seems very, very high.

Great to have you women on the board!

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »
Heya, sassy. I posted the link to the article you reference over on riverhaven's intro thread. It's great info, to be sure. Want to post it here, as well: http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v15n1/iboga21.pdf

Nobu was talking about how microdoses are different than a flood, that it's the flood that resets. You cartainly CAN take RB before a flood. The effects are still being evaluated by many, we're all learning as we go.
I have given RB to a handful of people now preflood, as an introduction to the spirit of Iboga, and as a way for the body to prepare, to recognize the chemical signature of Iboga. From my limited sample, I have seen 1/3 of the people (addicts and psychospiritual, both) say they feel no effects at all. Another third notices some effect, colors brighter, or an uplifted mood. The final third have a noticeable experience, auditory changes, psychological or spiritual revelation (the AHA! moment), intense thoughts, sleep interruption. The dosing on this has been between 500mg-1g RB.

I'll be reporting on TA use at about 2g (approx 600mg in HCl terms) here in the near future, both for myself and a couple other people. No-one actively addicted, though two I intend to see through the experience have never taken a flood dose. I'll keep you posted. I know also that Claudio Naranjo used these mid size therapeutic doses with his patients...there's an article somewhere...

:D
Tia