Author Topic: Hydroponics?  (Read 13030 times)

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Hydroponics?
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
While we are momentarily few, I address the many to come. ;)

I found only one mention (just a quick search) of hydroponics and Iboga, on the mindvox list, from Feb. of this year, 2009.
Does anyone know of more information on this? Any botanists know about the necessity of soil for root bark formation?
Do hydroponics accelerate alkaloid production?
Is anyone already doing this?

My dear husband knows a bit about hydroponics, perhaps we will have more answers than questions, in time.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hydroponics?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
Great questions Tia~

Since I have no experience growing anything hydroponically I may not be qualified to answer, however, I may add here that I have imbibed many a gnarly hydroponic plant in my time..hehe...

In all sincerity though, since the root-bark of Tabernanthe iboga is where the magic resides, perhaps this method of Aeroponics would be better suited to the potential cultivator? It seems one would have the same amount of control over growth parameters and such, and perhaps for the experienced grower, would not be a quantum leap in method?

Anyway here's a generic link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroponics

Maybe something here? Good luck and let us know if this seems viable?
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
First, let me say that I have a somewhat green thumb and that some of my best friends are plants (hearing that, one of my 'animal' friends said "No, dude, some of you best friends are vegetables.")  Be that as it may, this topic has definite interest for me.

I have seen numerous photos of hydroponic setups and the roots that result.  The roots seem pathetic and unnatural.  Having an infinite supply of water and nutrients, why should they grow healthy and vigorous?  The roots in the wiki entry (Cal's link) on areoponics, however, look fantastic.

Plants living in the dirt must protect their root system from being eaten by pests, bacterium, fungi, etc.  Hence the production of alkaloids and root bark.  Similar to human skin, root bark is composed of dead cells that provide physical protection.  Alkaloids present in root bark were synthesized in the living plant tissue before it died.

See where I'm going with this?

In an areoponics setup, it may be possible to harvest the small roots and root hairs that are so often lost when a plant is uprooted from its soil.  It is likely that those small roots and root hairs have a rather large concentration of alkaloids in them.  Plus, they would probably be easier to eat.

I'm imagining a salad of Eboka rootlets with creamy bleu cheese dressing

fallout330

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
Areoponics is new to me! I didn't even realize that was even possible...amazing!  Interesting information there Eon...very cool man!  I would only consider myself a beginner in cultivation of plants, so my knowledge is very limited.  I'm currently focusing in the area of mycology...learning alot!

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
Way K00L fallout.  Mycology is a mushrooming field, or so I hear...

Things taste so much sweeter if you have nurtured and cared for them yourself, I have found.

If someone who takes care of plants has a green thumb, what color thumb does a mycologist have?

Yer Pal,

Eon

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:22:34 PM »
Eon, that's food for thought.
I'm nurturing some seeds right now (which I've been told will take up to six weeks to sprout) and am as yet undecided on how to raise them when the time comes.
I am a friend of plants as well, but only have experience with good ol' soil.
Learning, learning.
T

fallout330

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
Hey Tia,

Would they happen to be voacanga africana?......I'm currently trying with those.

Take Care,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:28:21 PM by fallout330 »

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:56:23 PM »
Having given the matter careful consideration, fallout, I think I have the answer to my question.  Mycologists have 'purple thumbs'.  Right?  Hope yours is deep purple --  nod nod, wink wink.

The Israelies are big into aeroponics, having lots of sun and little water.  A friend was shopping-around a patent for a machine, the "Microsonic Nebulizer" that turned water and nutrients into tiny bubbles that float (Lawrence Welk eat your heart out, baby).

Googled for 'Microsonic Nebulizer Bubbles Aeroponics' and found this gem:

"Bubbleponics™ is the art of delivering highly oxygenated nutrient solution DIRECTLY to the inner root zone."

Bubbleponics???  Am I living in a cartoon world, or what?  Is that Don Ho floating by?

Apple trees are grafted for better fruit;  cacti are grafted to other cacti with better roots;  grape vines are grafted together for both reasons  --  fruits and roots.  How about grafting Eboka root sets with vigorous plants (scions) that could grow in Canada, South America, some desert somewhere or even your nifty new $700 bubbleponics setup?  Would kudzu be good?  Switch Grass?  How about tomatoes?

I'm imagining  a huge salad of tiny, tasty Eboka rootlets with a big slice of tomato grown from the same bush  --  and lotsa creamy blue cheese dressing.   Yum!!!

fallout330

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »
Very amazing stuff Eon!  I didn't realize the possibilities!  Very interesting ideas and possibilities....thanks for the info again.  Yes, indeed it is purple, although I am currently a beginner only using PF Tek currently. 

Take Care

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
Eon, you crack me up! Deep purple thumbs!
So, I'm going to count on you for the reports on grafting and how vigorously the roots grow. Keep us posted! Don't let this good idea evaporate. You have the time and inclination? I think in the future, the supply of this precious root will have to be very carefully addressed. The number of plants alive and growing in the world today is finite. I have thought a lot on the sustainability issues surrounding the use.

Friend Ed, the seeds I have are Iboga, they're about raisin size and wrinkly, the color of cinnamon.
Of course, I have them in MX! ;)

I'm keeping them warm and moist, per a friend's recommendation, with warm being the important point. My dear husband MacGyvered a timer light that comes on to see them through the night. I'm pretty sure one has germinated! It's hard not to poke and peek, lol.

As far as Iboga rootlets being tasty, GAH! Bitter, bitter, BIG bitter taste. We're not talking salad green bitter, but mega mouth takeover bitter. Ain't no Roquefort gonna disguise that! I'll take mine neat, thanks, and enjoy knowing the tatse fades, lol.

Love to all y'all.
Tia

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
As far as Iboga rootlets being tasty, GAH! Bitter, bitter, BIG bitter taste. We're not talking salad green bitter, but mega mouth takeover bitter. Ain't no Roquefort gonna disguise that! I'll take mine neat, thanks, and enjoy knowing the tatse fades, lol.

...Noooo doubt!

fallout330

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
Very nice Bev! I realize Iboga seeds can be very difficult just to germinate, never-mind about getting a viable plant....that may come later.  Wish you well in that endeavor, knowing how expensive those seeds can be or how difficult they can be to come by.  I've only attempted Voacanga Africana, just for the sake of seeing it possibly germinate....still waiting >:(  I send positive vibes to your Iboga plant Bev....take care!

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »
Found out that I hadn't considered even half the possibilities.  Talked w/ trustworthy dude tonight that grew big-ass potatoes (BIG restaurant size baking 'tatoes) in 36 weeks using aeroponics.  He also grew some other vegetables (ahem) w/ aeroponics and the roots were as big as the green vegetation...

Aeroponics, for 5 -6 plants, can probably be done for under $100, he says.

I'm guessing someone among you might be interested in detailed plans ? ? ?

DISCLAIMER:  Any and all such information is given with the express and implicit understanding  that applicable Local, State, Federal and International Laws regarding such endeavors shall be repeatedly broken.

(HAHA  -- Just Kiddin'  --  Y'all be good citizens, hear?!?!?

Offline Psychenaut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
With most plants that contain interesting alkaloids in their "old growth" foliage, the more you stress them the more potent they become.  Things like the friction of the dirt slowing the roots growth down to the root bark being able to form properly in hydro/aeroponic systems can also play a roll in the end result.  Big doesn't always mean better in this arena... you end up with more vegatative mass and a lower ratio of alkaloid per given weight.

Not saying that there is no hope in growing in this manor, just adding in some factors you might wanna research on before trying to grow this way.
I want all 5 stars and a tiara or I'm not playing!!! :p

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »
Interesting points Psychenaut...You are very correct about plant stressing and alkaloid potential. I am just learning some basics about this stuff, and it seems you have a good head for this type of thing. Maybe there is no 'quick fix' in growing this magic, maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something? Thanks for sharing!