Author Topic: Question regarding dosage of Iboga root and HCL  (Read 13402 times)

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
Question regarding dosage of Iboga root and HCL
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
I am planning on taking my first Iboga voyage and have a few questions. 

1.  Can the bark be ground into a powder, fit into gel-caps, and be successfully administered this way?  Is potency effected very much compared with other routes of administration?

2.  I plan on taking around 20-25g (rock iboga, the most potent, 4-5% alkaloid content) after finishing a 2 week water fast.  After 48 hours of taking the first dose, is it OK to redose around 400-500mg of Ibogaine HCL?  If not, how long should I wait?

3.  Is this a very high dose?  I want a very strong experience.  I'm experienced with other entheogens and can handle heavy doses of ayahuasca.  I know the risks of death but I am willing to take that risk.  It's better than suicide. 

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding dosage of Iboga root and HCL
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
1. Yes, you can take it in gelcaps, but it takes longer to absorb because they must break open in the stomach.  Potency should not be affected.

2. I wouldn't eat nothing for two weeks before a flood.  Having enough strength to make it through is a good idea, and you may not have an appetite for awhile after.  You want to get healthy and strong, not weak and frail.  You should listen to your body.  Only take boosters if you need it and take it slow.  Too much iboga in the system can be unpleasant.  Nobu spoke of going psycho on two iboga doses too close together.  If you do a big enough flood, I can't imagine you wanting to eat too much more within 48 hours.  After my first flood I was afraid to touch iboga for several days afterward.  However, I did take .5 g of 50% pure TA, about 2 days after my last flood, and once a week for 4 weeks after.  You can listen to your body and take boosters as needed.

3. It's a good dose, but it may be low or high for you.  A good idea to calculate your dosage is by weight.  15-25 mgs of ibogaine HCl (or even pure total alkaloids) per kilogram of body weight is normally the range for a flood dose.  I don't think that deaths from iboga are ever necessarily dose related.  That is pure speculation.  Nearly all the deaths are due to other complications from other physical/mental problems.  I have done all the extract from 40+ g of bark and still not reached the depths I wanted, but I am extremely tolerant to iboga and it's alkaloids, so this may or may not be good for you.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I will skip the fast and eat light, healthy foods.

I ordered the root bark from maya ethnobotanicals.  I got the most expensive root bark they have, 25g.  Description as follows:

Iboga / Tabernanthe iboga - root bark (3) cut

Powerful and effective so-called *rock* Iboga rootbark chips, harvested from 20 years old trees that grow on rocks only. Harvested August 2010 in Cameroon, Africa. Approximate alkaloid content: 4-5%.
New Stock !

Usage / Preparation

Therapists report an average usage of 10-20 grams rootbark for a full treatment or reset.

I am a very sensitive person, I've always reacted more strongly to substances than my friends, especially pot and coffee.  I also weigh 61kg.

What do recommend for a dose?

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
Also, you mentioned that the deaths occur because of physical/mental problems.

Around 5 years ago I experienced an overly intense LSD trip that  lasted 3 days, which permanently changed my perspective on life.  It opened my eyes up in so many ways, yet it came with a price... anxiety.  It's as though I've been thrown into a foreign country and forced to cope without knowing the language.  I know our language, but I am no longer familiar with it.  I don't consider that a problem, though others may.  It has its ups and downs.  It's just hard to relate with people deeply.

Is this the kind of "mental problem" you are referring to?  Any suggestions would be of great help.  :)

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
Are you using Iboga for a spiritual journey, addiction interruption, or both?

If you're trying to stave off opiate withdrawals, higher doses would probably be better.. But if you're going into this thing clean, even 15mg/kg could be a huge dose if you're sensitive to things.

I myself am very sensitive to Iboga.. I have some 70% active TA from IbogaWorld and even half a gram of that is enough to have me in bed all day.

Also, as GratefulDad said, you will definitely want your strength for this experience. The Iboga experience is quite different from that of Ayahuasca and other psychedelics.. It takes a very large tole on your body. It can take weeks before you finally start to regain all your strength.

And I don't know exactly what Dad was talking about with 'mental' complications causing Iboga deaths.. As I understand it, there are a few unexplained deaths, but the majority are caused from pre-existing health problems (usually heart related) or dangerous combinations (such as people dosing their drug of choice while still affecting by the Iboga).

And as a side note, I can relate somewhat to what you're saying about having some language difficulties after such a large dose of LSD.. It sounds like an integration problem to me, which I struggle with sometimes myself... The 'real world' can seem so strange and different after the things we see and experience after a strong psychedelic experience. I'm not an integration expert, but I'm sure the first step to improving that aspect of life is talking about it with others.

Also, if you were planning on powdering your root and placing it in gel-caps, you can certainly do that.. But it will be a lot of caps to swallow, so keep that in mind. I can fit about 1 gram of TA or HCL in 6 caps, though I know some people who say they can easily fit 500mg's in each cap.. So low-balling an estimate, if you can fit 1 gram in 2 caps, and you take 20 grams of root, that's 40 caps to swallow. Not saying you can't do it, but personally I hate swallowing so many pills.

Hope that helps a little bit!

<3
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:53:09 AM »
Hi digital

I'm using Iboga to help gain a new perspective on life... one that isn't so dependent on things to feel at ease and confident.  I've been dependent on benzodiazepines for a couple years now, and quit for 6 months a while back, then started back up again and 4 months later I'm here.  I take about 4-5mg of clonazepam a week.  On a good week, 2-3. 

Then there's the pot, which I love so much but really want to get rid of.

I want to push my boundaries as far as dosage goes, as I've heard it's the most effective way to do it.  Though a tester dose of 500mg will be had beforehand.  and 5 grams TA extract from cerberus afterward for small maintenance doses.

I have 000' gel-caps, they can hold around 1.3g.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
Also, you mentioned that the deaths occur because of physical/mental problems.

Around 5 years ago I experienced an overly intense LSD trip that  lasted 3 days, which permanently changed my perspective on life.  It opened my eyes up in so many ways, yet it came with a price... anxiety.  It's as though I've been thrown into a foreign country and forced to cope without knowing the language.  I know our language, but I am no longer familiar with it.  I don't consider that a problem, though others may.  It has its ups and downs.  It's just hard to relate with people deeply.

Is this the kind of "mental problem" you are referring to?  Any suggestions would be of great help.  :)

I didn't mean anyone died from mental problems and iboga, but for people who have mental problems, such as schizophrenia, or stuff like that, it could cause a negative reaction.  Most deaths where iboga was said to be involved, came from heart complications, or from other drugs in the mix.  Nobu, a member who used to post here, ate over 50+ grams of iboga bark within a month period and he said it caused him some mild psychosis that took him 6 months to start feeling back to normal.

I think iboga may help the anxiety you feel.  I have eaten loads of LSD for many years and before iboga it heightened my intuition and I used it to sort through my thoughts and troubles.  After iboga I could go much deeper and had incredible breakthroughs in which I felt as if I had learned the secrets of the universe.  I have felt oneness with the universe and have more understanding.  I have become more aware of myself and my place in this whole system we call reality.  I have experienced this feeling on mushrooms and ketamine, too, and I attribute it to the iboga tuning up the rest of my system so I could actually go much deeper in every experience.

You can use iboga to reset yourself, but you must put a plan in place right after the iboga because you will immediately be reprogramming your own brain by any choice you make after iboga.  You must strive not to go back to any habits you want to get rid of.  Iboga will make it easier in many ways, but it's still up to you to put it into practice.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:52:15 PM by GratefulDad »
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
Interesting, thank you.  I will definitely take your advice.

I will probably stick with a lower dosage depending on how the tester goes.  Maybe the tester will help give me some insight into how big a dose I should take, if I listen carefully.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Always stick with the lowest dosage you can - then work up - no need to court danger. This is pretty safe material but there are professionals and laymen alike here who give differing opinions...and that's just it - opinions. It is YOUR health. Take it easy, take slow - pay attention and you will be fine. You can always do this again if your first attempt was not a bulls-eye. You can't do it again if you wake up dead...

Just take care and be patient friend, it will work out for the best.
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »

Hi Blanky,

I mean no disrespect but you really do not know what your getting yourself into.  You talking about taking 10-20gm or powerful rb and you have never done it before.  It is not like any drug you have ever done before.  The tough guys with the cast iron stomach can not take 20 grams without puking - it does no good if you puke it out right away.  Maybe Cal will tell you about his problem trying to hold down 20 grams and he is quite experienced at it.  If you do 10 or 15 grams before losing your lunch your doing good. 

You said you had a very intense LSD trip that kind of messed you up and it lasted 3 days - damn that is a long time, how many hits did you take if you don't mind me asking.  What I am trying to do is warn you that it is not a fun drug - it kicks your ass.  If you were to take the TA you would get a full experience and it would be easier on your body.  You had a rough time on the LSD trip please do not have a rough time on this drug.

Do you have a good sitter that you can count on?  As for re dosing with 500mg a couple of days later I doubt you will want to do that for you will still be buzzed.  It is a very bizarre experience.  Before you start your journey why not hang around the forum and learn a little bit more.

Wishing you a safe journey,

Roy

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
Hi roy, as stated before I will take a tester dose of 500mg and judge from there.  After researching more on dosage, 20g does seem too high for my body weight and sensitivity.  I'm thinking around 5 grams combined with some TA extract.

You said you had a very intense LSD trip that kind of messed you up and it lasted 3 days - damn that is a long time, how many hits did you take if you don't mind me asking.

It's not the dose that did it, it was the accumulation of 150+ trips on mushrooms and LSD in 2 years that brought my sensitivity levels to a height that allowed for a small dose of very potent LSD combined with cannabis to cause such an intense state of ego loss.  I zoomed in through a mandelbrot like fractal for roughly 6 hours while curled up in the fetal position.  It felt like I lived 1000's of years.  After coming out of the 'vortex' I was stuck out of body for a good two days, yet in my body at the same time.  I've never felt grounded and fully 'in my body' since.  But like I mentioned before, it has it's ups and downs.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
I have experienced what you describe, but it took a huge dose, and everything came together for me.  I saw myself live and die many, many lives in rapid succession, so fast I was at the point of only seeing all my deaths, then I exploded into a beam of light and saw how everything in all of creation was connected.  That I was a part of the whole, and that all the energy was one.  Rather than alienate me, it made me feel more at peace even with harder aspects of the whole.  It helped me lose much of my attachments to things in the physical realm.  I am still human, and still have feelings and desires, but I have gained a new perspective in how to see things, which can help me control my emotions and actions a bit more.  I am not perfect, and have to stay conscious and practice regularly, but it has made my life easier, it seems. BTW, the real clarity and depth of this experience happened after using iboga.  I used plenty of LSD and mushrooms for many years, but after the iboga, everything has been more deep, meaningful, and related.
GratefulDad

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
I saw myself live and die many, many lives in rapid succession, so fast I was at the point of only seeing all my deaths, then I exploded into a beam of light and saw how everything in all of creation was connected.  That I was a part of the whole, and that all the energy was one.  Rather than alienate me, it made me feel more at peace even with harder aspects of the whole.

The problem with me is that I abused psychedelics to the point where my thought patterns became very, very different, and my sense of self fragile.  It was the abuse, I believe, that led to the fragility that led to my mind being broken open to such an extent.  Someone once said, that if a drop of water has been a drop its whole life, then suddenly becomes the ocean, that drop will never be the same drop again.  And that's how it has felt, like my individuality has merged into a conglomeration of multiple perspectives and personalities.  It's as though I feel too much.  Someone even told me once that it felt like I was reading his thoughts and feelings, which made him uncomfortable.  Maybe ibogaine could help to ground me?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:16:48 PM by Blanky »

Offline Blanky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Also, the only thing I really feel alienated from is the "act"... I feel very connected to nature and people, much more so than before my intense trip. I feel such a deep connection to people, just not in an egoic way. 

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
It might help to ground you.  I certainly understand being more sensitive and changed, but I am super insensitive to things.  I have compassion, but don't feel as much attachment for some reason.  Perhaps iboga is responsible. 
GratefulDad