Author Topic: How to post pics  (Read 6819 times)

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to post pics
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
I was using Firefox, but am now using google chrome, and I'll do it again.  Basically I click additional options, browse for the photo, then click open.  When it loads up, I click post, then I go to the link at the bottom of the picture where the attachments are in the post, I click copy the link location.  Then I click modify, go back in and click the insert image tab, then I put the link between the img tags to place it where I want in the post..

GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
you should be able to see my dog - its on my first post...wtf. i have a headache and am shaky from a night of certain tea which i may or may not ever do again. may i get back with you all on this? I'm using firefox latset version - ill look around in the admin and see if theres anything i can twaek to help smooth this over.
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
Here is what I think is happening.  Dad's inline image is working only because it is referencing an image file that is stored on pk's server.  Either (the SMF config or codebase) OR (pk's server config) OR (both) is preventing images from being fetched from anywhere else but the Ebo Forum server.

Unless the image is stored locally, every time a member opens a page with an external link (i.e. one from the web) it will slow the page and create more network traffic.  On the other hand, having images, pdfs, or any other files stored locally requires disk space.

You can store some of the images all the time, and you can store all of the images some of the time, but you can't store all of the images all of the time  --  unless you have a BFHDD (B = Big, HDD = Hard Disk Drive, you can guess what F = ).   ;)

Me, I like the in-line images  --  it would be nice if we didn't have to go through the extra step of attaching them, and we don't need the additional thumbnail that the workaround requires.

I also think being able to attach reference pdfs, jpegs, etc. makes sense for the Forum's intention to provide information and assistance.  128K is pretty small for that, though  --  the pdf I attached was the smallest one of many that I have archived.

Given the choice of one or the other, I would go for attachments, since images can be done that way, too.

I do believe that this is pk's call.    ~et

PS  --  Oh, now I see your dog.  I thought you were were slyly referring to the picture with the brown stuff pouring out.  Hope I didn't offend your dog!  What's his mame?  ~e

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:44:40 PM by Eon T McKnight »