Author Topic: The Sitters' Guide  (Read 11437 times)

fallout330

Re: The Sitters' Guide
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
Sounds like a very useful tool for a clinical setting or even a home setting.  I've have yet to use one of these. 

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
hey Eon
ive never heard of one till you mentioned it.
i will have to look into one.
it would be handy.
kind regards,
harvey plex

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
Hiya McKnight!

Seems I inadvertently overlooked the last post here...I haven't used one of the home devices you're talking about but I bet it would be the best, least intrusive way to keep stats on BP. If I am not mistaken these devices also monitor heart rate and some may even measure O2 saturation?

When we did my brother we had to interrupt the poor guy at intervals with a cumbersome sphygmomanometer and a flashlight to read the thing. Luckily he was so out of it most of the time he didn't know we were there.

In most cases blood pressure and heart rate elevation occur in the earlier stages of the experience. As it develops and unfolds, the 'threshold' is crossed and a calm repose ensues where these vitals are steady. I am not an authority however, and have only my experiences and what I have read as a guide. It is good (for everyone) to have these things documented as carefully as possible. The better notes that we take, the more complete a picture we can draw for ourselves and others. It's building a consensus among all the do-it-yourself-ers...The risks are real, but so are the benefits. Taking such steps minimizes these risks and increases our confidence working with this medicine. Bless you my friend!  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:11:53 PM by calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 05:38:03 PM »
Hey Eon,

I've been using the OMRON hem-629.
It's a good little wrist cuff, and measures both BP and pulse with chunky, easy to read numbers. Runs on batteries. It's still a distraction for the person getting their pressure taken, but much less so than the upper arm cuff, and way easier than a sphyg on an 'uncooperative' person.

Also, a headlamp is nice to have. :)