Author Topic: Remove ibogaine from the bark to make it legal?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline moyshekapoyre

• View Profile
Remove ibogaine from the bark to make it legal?
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:12:02 AM »
Namaste!

Has anyone ever extracted ibogaine from their bark or TA? I assume so. If so, what did you do with the other alkaloids? Have you tried eating them? I am very curious to know what that feels like and if it has even half the magic of the whole rootbark, it might be a good thing to sell to folks in the USA who are afraid of getting illegal goods, no?

It's not without precedent. Coca cola contains de-cocainized coca extract (and we all know there are always minute quantities that remain after any extraction).

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Remove ibogaine from the bark to make it legal?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:04:19 AM »
Chris Jenks did that and reported definite effects from iboga alkaloids, but he used a small dose, and has never had an addiction.  I am pretty positive the whole plant is illegal, which would probably mean all it's alkaloids were, and even if not, there is the analog act, in the USA, which could encompass these analogs of ibogaine.  I don't think it would be legal, even if you tried this..  I have read that ibogaline is even stronger than ibogaine in some effects, but not sure if that is true.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:41 AM »
" Title 21 United States Code (USC)
Controlled Substances Act

Subchapter I -- Control And Enforcement

Part B -- Authority to Control; Standards And Schedules

Section 812. Schedules of controlled substances

Schedule I

(c) Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of their salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(8) Ibogaine."

That's what it says about Ibogaine.. Such jumbled language.  So I dunno if that means the plant would be legal or not, but I think the idea of exploring the other active alkaloids in the plant is very interesting.

Dad, is there a report for that anecdote you mentioned?
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:07:07 AM »
I think he may have mentioned it in that video of the ibogaine conference..  The ustream link is posted on this site and you can watch his whole part to see, but I can't remember precisely.  Almost sure that is where I remember hearing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Analog_Act

or

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Analog_Act

The term “controlled substance analogue” is defined as a substance:
(i) the chemical structure of which is substantially similar to the chemical structure of a controlled substance in schedule I or II;

(ii) which has a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system that is substantially similar to, or greater than, the stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system of a controlled substance in schedule I or II; or

(iii) with respect to a particular person, which such person represents or intends to have a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system that is substantially similar to or greater than the stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system of a controlled substance in schedule I or II.

This would pretty much cover any iboga alkaloid with effects similar to ibogaine....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:21:48 AM by GratefulDad »
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline moyshekapoyre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
Oh golly, I keep forgetting about the silly Analog Act.

Hey guys, did you know that the analog act is now biting industry in the butt as well? Maybe we can get it repealed soon... http://www.free-press-release.com/news-new-cannabinoid-laws-ban-common-products-1308586834.html