Author Topic: 50g. iboga extraction (part 1)  (Read 4474 times)

Offline WindowLicker

• View Profile
50g. iboga extraction (part 1)
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
This  thread will serve as a means of putting Dr.Jenks improved extraction technique 2 the test.
At the same time it will allow anyone whos interested in performing the good Doctors write up sucessfully, as there are a few vague references to different amounts,volumes,ect that I for one would like some feedback to have them explained in laymens terms.

This is part one of what will be followed up by a part two in which the proceedure will include all the important steps. Oh and accompanied by pictures of this scaled down extraction in the sub kilogram range.

50g. powdered iboga extraction.

first can I get the one question out of the way.....what would the correct amount of DH2O be for 50g. of rootbark?
Answer: Just enough to thoroughly cover the bark making stirring for the one hour required easily done with a wooden spoon.
I know Dr. Jenks says to dedicate a steel spoon to the filtering part of the TA precipitate filtration. But he was using Vinegar or acetic acid. Those who choose to use a stronger acid such as 30% hydrochloric need to dedicate a non-reactive type stirring spoon. HCl is nasty stuff but it can be worked with quite safely as long as a few common sense steps are taken.
No metal is one of them. Dont breathe the fumes you see emitting from the HCl bottle upon opening it, and close the lid on it as soon as the proper amount has been carefully poured into the DH2O. Wear old clothes and gloves. If you wear contact lenses take them out and wear your glasses. Keep some baking soda nearby for any spills as it will help in neutralizing the HCl somewhat. Not as good as Sodium Hydroxide does but I'm not gonna encourage using Lye to neutralize a HCl spill. ::)

Someone with some math skills please tell me what would a mixture ,'60 fold dilution with distilled water', using 30% Hydrochloric acid and converting the solution into a 5% HCl/DH2O concentration be?

I need to run down to the store so I will continue this in a few minutes... Maybe someone can shoot me a answer to my 5% dilution with 60 fold distilled water question. BRB
 ;D

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: 50g. iboga extraction (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
Stainless steel will not react with hydrochloric acid.  And you don't need 5% hydrochloric acid, as a pH of 3 is plenty low enough to extract the alkaloids.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
you sound just sound like a scientist GD !!!
much love .
hp

Offline WindowLicker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
Stainless steel will not react with hydrochloric acid.  And you don't need 5% hydrochloric acid, as a pH of 3 is plenty low enough to extract the alkaloids.

I just winged it anyways. I added 50ml HCl to roughly 1000-1500ml. It turned out nice and dark for the first pull like some where between coffee and earl grey tea. The second and third pulls both returned with gradually lighter colored solutions.
I noticed even though I had filtered absolutely all the actual bark from all 3 extraction solutions that they seemed to have particles of transparent fluid completely mixed with all 3 solutions. Now I'm pretty sure this isnt a problem but I was wondering should I filter this stuff out prior to reducing it or would that possibally whack the return I get in the final yield?

I mean cuzz the stuff looks like it should be there or should the solutions be crystal clear prior to alkai being added.
Thanks for the Ace hardware tip that was gonna be a bummer distilling off a gallon of surfactant tainted ammonia. Especially since the biggest boiling flask I own is a 500ml florence flask.

So I did a trial extraction to see how everything reacts and which step is going to be the one I enjoy the least.....and so far its the final filtering of the TA salts but even more than that is the liberal amount of distilled h2o needed to get the TA not smelling like ammonia.  All nighter. And just to clarify I should be saving all the filters and filtered solutions for possible alkaloids left behind ,right?
I saw a methanol tek that the poster boasted of excellent quality iboga returns and easier extraction processing.
Couldnt I just collect the stuff unromovable from the coffee filters with this alcohol and if not, how would one collect the residual stuff that cant be scraped or removed from the filters very easily?

Too many questions... thats it.
Thanks...

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
You dissolve all the stuff collected on the filters after basing with ammonia, and then filtering, in acetone.  Anything that doesn't dissolve with some agitation, is insoluble, non-alkaloidal material, and it can be filtered out.  Then you salt the alks out of the acetone with your muriatic acid.  Add it dropwise until no more crystals crash out of the acetone, then place it in the fridge over night, and then filter them out of the acetone with a coffee filter.  What is left will be very pure alkaloids.  For precise measurements, see my extraction post.

The methanol tek sounds very easy, too, but I haven't given that one a try.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:35:29 PM by GratefulDad »
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
Man...would really love some pics!  8)
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
Here's a link that has pics, thanks to rOm! https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=27488
GratefulDad

Offline mycotheologist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
I did an extraction on 30g of RB and ended up with 250mg of extract, and I haven't even done the acetone step yet. Terrible yield. I'm thinking I may not have used enough vinegar because after adding it, I could no longer smell the acetic acid. I definitely added enough ammonia because I could still smell it afterwards.