Author Topic: Ibogaine LD50  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Ibogaine LD50
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
Here are some numbers from various sources concerning the LD50 (or Lethal Dose in 50% of test subjects) for ibogaine hydrochloride:

From the Ibogaine Dossier :

Toxicology

The LD50 of ibogaine has been determined in guinea pig (82 mg/kg i.p.) and rat (327 mg/kg intragastrically and 145 mg/kg i.p.) (38,47). Dhahir (38) reported no significant pathological changes in rat liver, kidneys, heart and brain following chronic ibogaine treatment (10 mg/kg for 30 days or 40 mg/kg for 12 days, i.p.). Similarly no evidence of neurotoxicity in African green monkeys given ibogaine in doses of 5-25 mg/kg p.o. for 4 consecutive days has been found (48). However, O'Hearn and Molliver (49) reported that repeated administration of ibogaine (100 mg/kg i.p.) to rats caused the degeneration of a subset of Purkinje cells in the cerebellar vermis. This degeneration was accompanied by a loss of the microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2) and calbindin. Others (50) found that the neurotoxic effects of ibogaine on rat cerebellum strongly depend on the dose, and that at the dose (40 mg/kg, i.p.) most commonly used in behavioral studies, no toxicity occurs (51). It should be mentioned that both ibogaine as well as O-desmethylibogaine were recently found to possess significant behavioral effects at even much lower doses (0.25 - 2.5 mg/kg) than those typically used (e.g., 40 mg/kg) (52).

http://www.ibogaine.desk.nl/review-dotf.html

This lab from Lithuania used mice:

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate acute toxic effect of ibogaine and noribogaine on the survival of mice and determine median lethal doses of the substances mentioned. MATERIAL AND METHODS: White laboratory mice were used for the experiments. Ibogaine and noribogaine were administered intragastrically to mice via a stomach tube. Control animals received the same volume of saline. The median lethal dose was calculated with the help of a standard formula. RESULTS: To determine the median lethal dose of ibogaine, the doses of 100, 300, 400, and 500 mg/kg were administered intragastrically to mice. The survival time of mice after the drug administration was recorded, as well as the number of survived mice in each group. Upon administration of ibogaine at a dose of 500 mg/kg, all mice in this dose group died. Three out of four mice died in the group, which received 300 mg/kg of ibogaine. No mouse deaths were observed in the group, which received 100 mg/kg of ibogaine. The determined LD(50) value of ibogaine equals to 263 mg/kg of body mass. In order to determine the median lethal dose of noribogaine, the doses of 300, 500, 700, and 900 mg/kg were administered to mice intragastrically. Noribogaine given at a dose of 500 mg/kg had no impact on the mouse survival. The increase of noribogaine dose to 700 mg/kg of mouse body mass led to the death of three out of four mice in the group. Upon administration of noribogaine at a dose of 900 mg/kg, all mice in this group died. The LD(50) value of noribogaine in mice determined on the basis of the number of dead mice and the size of the doses used equals to 630 mg/kg of mouse body mass. The behavior of mice was observed upon administration of ibogaine or noribogaine. Low doses of ibogaine and noribogaine had no impact on the mouse behavior. External effects (convulsions, nervous behaviour, limb paralysis) were observed only when substances were administrated at higher doses. CONCLUSIONS: It has been determined that the median lethal dose of ibogaine and noribogaine equals to 263 mg and 630 mg/kg of mouse body mass, respectively. The toxicity of ibogaine is 2.4 times higher than that of noribogaine.

PMID: 19142057 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19142057

Excerpts from 1999 "First International Conference" Alper, Glick:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jPa5cuAFW14C&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=ibogaine+LD50&source=bl&ots=sfI2s6OP8_&sig=9FSN_8EmYLPu_41h1B9hCmWSky0&hl=en&ei=FpPfS8zzL4X-sgO1oeD8BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=ibogaine%20LD50&f=false
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline goatboy

• View Profile
Re: Ibogaine LD50
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
wow...so there giving these mice in extreme amounts like over 300mg/kg??  Thats insane...and here I thought 25mg/kg of HCl would be a nice sized dose for myself this next time, I would try more but I'm broke as hell now...and who would ever be able to afford or even could or want to take such a extreme high dose...but I guess there were trying to figure out how much it would take for an overdose.  I guess it shows you can go pretty high up before worrying about , as long as your healthy enough in the first place and know you don't have an allergic reaction.  But shows it's pretty hard to actually overdose on this is what it's kinda saying, right?
Rise, Run, Feed, Ripen, Wound, Wither, Fall, Rise Again...

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
These numbers are put here just to show what the research is revealing - it is not meant as encouragement to do a psycho-huge dose or anything, but it may help alleviate some people's fears about overdosing. It seems it takes quite a bit to cause serious harm to us, and I wanted to have this information here so that people can see the margin for error.

Anything else people can find on this topic would be most welcome.  :)

Offline Psychenaut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
What is effective in one animal species is deadly in another.  So just cause a rat can handle 40mg/kg and another rodent can handle 100mg/kg doesn't mean this is the same in humans.  We have a huge frontal cortex and this causes certain substances to have a much more profound effect on us psychologically in general.  Also different animals may have different thresholds in the blood brain barrier or some other variable that makes dosing for us very different. 

Many providers rarely even hit the 15mg/kg mark for the flood dose these days as the risk to a persons health becomes more and more pronounced as you pass the 10mg/kg mark in humans.
I want all 5 stars and a tiara or I'm not playing!!! :p

fallout330

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
Welcome back Psychenaut, thanks for the info.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »
Yeah, maybe that's true, but maybe that's just what they want you to believe.  I am pretty sure it won't kill me in some 25 mg/kg range, because 15-20 didn't seem to really whoop my ass yet..  I am gonna go between 20-25 this next round with some 85% ibogaine and 15% other alkaloids.  These are pure alkaloids, so we won't have to guess on the potency of the extract.  I'll sure report how it all works out for me!  :)
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Nganga Nobunoni +

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
http://www.if-pan.krakow.pl/~popikp/alkaloids/alkaloids.html

Blessings and Light!

Nobu +

Looks to be some folks have been getting the same messages' psychicaly :)))

LD50 = 263mg/kg body weight' ???.:)

48mg/kg body weight is the highest known dose I have seen'

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 03:23:48 AM »
Awesome link Nobu, I have just been reading about the QT wave and anesthetic type action of ibo that could be risky for those with the longer QT waves and it does seem to mention some things to that effect.  Nice find!  Gonna take me a little while to get it all absorbed in, though...  :D
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Nganga Nobunoni +

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
Glad you like' this is my original study file' just took me a while to find it'

It is no conclusive' but does explain loads and gives great ground work for further study'

Loving the new look folks' hahaha

Bliss!

Nobu +

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:44 AM »
Hey Nobu, 48mg/kg in what time period?
Bark? HCl?
Did the banzi remember much? What were the circumstances? Was this you? ;)

Very interested,
Tia

Nganga Nobunoni +

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
Can top that 48mg/kg with a 50mg/kg of Ibogaine hcl'

They pass out into a deep deep trance sleep' You go to a warm dark secure place' a very long way down through the layers of conciousness'
you have to rouse them gently' by calling them back' keep em tetherd' (no scare em to death' just "Call them" gently'

Then it fireworks and Lightning'

If all biological body systems are running a ok' ie the Banzi is well enough to take Ibo' Ibo shall no kill you' just the more you take the longer and harder you shall trip'

I have even seen someone walk about of 50mg/kg body weight for quite a lot of txperience' but he was smoking 2 grams of heroin a day' Still some fantastic feat of something'

They only remeber it if you bring em back' there is no rousing them before this time' for all intence and purpooses they are unconcious' but I been there a couple of times' and you ain't un-concious' you are in the centre hole of the galaxie as far as I can discern'

(everyone is different' I treated a chap for heroin' he was sensative to Iboga' it blasted him on 4 grams for well into 24 hours' /// Set and Setting' the jungle seriousley helps')

Ok' Ibo is beatgn me at this typo stuff'

So have a lovely day'

Catch you in the mix'

Bliss!

Nobu +

My Tata told me that he has a "Sorcerer friend' *wink* that ingested over 400 grams of Iboga in 3 days'
I manged 56grams inside of 48 hours' was blasted for 2 months' with the voice of anfrican god in the head of which has never left since' :)))

Arriba Nganga!

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
My Tata told me that he has a "Sorcerer friend' *wink* that ingested over 400 grams of Iboga in 3 days'
I manged 56grams inside of 48 hours' was blasted for 2 months' with the voice of anfrican god in the head of which has never left since' :)))

Dag, man!!! I'd never come come down from 400 grams of Wood....Jeez!

Well, Nobu, your dose of 56g is about double my ceiling dose for root bark so far. Once, I managed to actually eat all 30g of the dose I prepped but it didn't all stay in long enough. Talk about a purge...

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »

HI All,

Do you think it would be easier to do maybe 5 gm or RB for 5 days rather than a whole once in 24 hr or so?  And when you take 56 in 48 hours is it stronger or milder than taking a two grams of hcl?  Just wondering.

Thanks,

Roy