Author Topic: Maybe an option for PAWS if Iboga is not: Gabapentin/Neurontin or Baclofen  (Read 10021 times)

Offline theFathersheart

• View Profile
Before I discovered Iboga, I have gone through PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) over 50, maybe 100 times, I am not exaggerating. The first few times, I was so ignorant to it that I thought I had the flu. Before ibogaine, I have tried just about everything else to recover and get through it.

There was a time that I was in severe withdrawal that I just wanted to take whatever pills I could to even taper the withdrawal down. I wanted to crawl out of my own flesh it was so bad. I was trying to find any opiate because I was so desperate. I tried to find some old paramol (similar to Tylenol/codeine) that I knew I had. None!, rien! nada, zilch! I did find an old bottle of Gabapentin/Neurontin that I never took because it was non-narcotic (back then I thought that would not help my pain). I took some (about 2 to 3 times of what the doctor wrote). In about 1 hour  all of my withdrawal symptoms stopped!

I began to research Gabapentin/Neurontin as well as Baclofen and I found that these three medications are even secretively used by rehab centers. There are certain rehab centers that admit behind closed doors that these medicines are their secret weapon. There are many people that have used this effectively. I do believe that has helped me greatly. It was the most effective weapon against PAWS before I found ibogaine. Do not do anything before you check with your doctor. After all, I didn't take norcos and oxycontins without checking with my doctor.

I know that most doctors will prescribe the most proper and effective medication for pain like Hydrocodone or Oxycodone, but has anybody here ever tried Gabapentin/Neurontin or Baclofen (with a prescription of course)?

Offline buck36

• View Profile
Re: Maybe an option for PAWS if Iboga is not: Gabapentin/Neurontin or Baclofen
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:04 AM »
I have heard of baclofen being used "off market" to attenuate opiate w/d's. Dont have any personal exp with it but heres a link re: baclofen /GABA antagonist.     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC293465/  interesting.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »
Baclofen will remove alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but it is also addictive, and it will cause withdrawal when discontinued.  The drugs you are talking about are used for alcohol withdrawal, but they don't work on opiate receptors, so if you are looking for something for opiate withdrawal, these won't work the best, if at all.  They will help for alcohol withdrawal, however.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline theFathersheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
Dear GD, I have not had a personal experience with Baclofen so maybe I should have not brought that particular name up ???. I do apologize. I do value and respect your experiences and inputs greatly :). Have you ever had any experience with Gabapentin?

I have had several experiences with Gabapentin (Neurontin) and it has indeed truly helped me with the PAWS that I was going through at those times. And for me, it was certainly non-addicting. (Others have claimed otherwise. Others have also complained about bad side effects pertaining to it's off-label use.) I just have not had any of those claimed side effects. In my experiences with it; It would be almost like clockwork. While in the heavy PAWS (sneezing, writhing, severe RLS, Insomnia poops etc), I would take the Gabapentin and within 1 to 2 hours, the PAWS would 99% disappear! (except for the poops, but even that slightly subsided). The effectiveness for me was amazing. The much needed sleep that it gave me was certainly a Godsend :). Although, nowadays, my preference would be iboga TA/PTA, I believe that those suffering from severe PAWS right now may want to talk to their doctor about Gabapentin. (especially if they cannot afford to have their arses kicked for 10 days or so by an iboga flood).

There is actually a very nice person [he goes by the name "Morfiend Dreams"] who wrote a good article on this very matter which he titled "Gabapentin - Withdrawal's Second Worst Enemy!". Of course like many of you, I totally disdain what he calls... "Withdrawal's First Worst Enemy - Suboxone >:("

http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk/gabapentin-withdrawals-second-worst-enemy-45713.html

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Anything that works on the GABA receptors will ease your anxiety, and a good deal of the withdrawal, but most anything that works on GABA is also addictive and the withdrawal from something that works on GABA receptors can cause seizures and death if discontinued abruptly.  The minor withdrawal symptoms from GABA active drugs is pretty rough, especially mentally.  Ideally, if one plans to detox doing a taper, I would just do so with the opiates and some iboga, rather than adding more addictive pharmaceuticals with their own set of side effects and withdrawal symptoms..   

Of course, this is my opinion, because I have a great deal of distrust for pharmaceutical companies and western medicine.  The reason is because that nearly every pharmaceutical prescribed, only treats symptoms.  Almost none of them, with the exception of antibiotics, actually cure anything.  I think for my mental health, there are much safer, healthier, natural remedies available, but they were all made illegal using propaganda and smear campaigns.  Luckily, MAPS and other countries have gotten studies approved, to further look into many of nature's illegal gifts.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Birdcatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »
There's a guy on utube that claims Baclofen works for opiates

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »

Hi Folks,

@Father

While in the heavy PAWS (sneezing, writhing, severe RLS, Insomnia poops etc), I would take the Gabapentin and within 1 to 2 hours, the PAWS would 99% disappear!

May I ask what you were kicking and maybe what day you were in.  I have been through the w/d more times that I care to mention and nothing helped but Imodium and maybe a few downers but it was ass kicking.

I have got some from the Dr for nuropathic pain.  What scares me is it does not seem to work until you get to 1800mg/day.  Now if you forget to take a dose you can suffer a seizure.  So if you forget or fall asleep without taking it and don't take it first thing in the morning it can get serious.  Whenever a Dr gives me something I check it out on the net.

Best,

Roy

Offline evolutionofone

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:35 AM »
Neurontin/Gabapentin takes away virutally all my opiate withdrawl, & actually leaves me feeling really good. That being said though, I wouldn't take it more than a few days, its a scary med. I got awful withdrawl from it after just a week, made me feel fear constantly for no reason & suicidal for a day. It was terrible, way worse than opiate withdrawl.  I couldn't imagine dealing with that for any length of time.  I've heard people who take Neurontin/Gabapentin long term have hellish withdrawls for a long time if they stop taking it. Be very careful with this med.

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile

Hi Evolution,

I don't know it helped w/d.  It is used for pathological pain that is often suffered by diabetics.  According to what I have read they got to get ya up to 900-1800mg for it to work.  Now at that dose if you forget a dose or just fall asleep for 8 hours or so you can have a seizure even if you never had one before.  As far as tapering off it can be done at 100mg a day - this is from what I have read that's all I am saying.  Things like that scare me for I often forget to take a pill, what happens if you got to spend the night in jail or leave them at home? 

The reason it can cause mind problems is because it fools with a few of the receptors.  Kind like the warnings ya get with SSRIs.

Best,

Roy