Author Topic: Online Research regarding Ibogaine Experiences - Please help.  (Read 4224 times)

Offline skatsikas

• View Profile
Online Research regarding Ibogaine Experiences - Please help.
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
The Ibogaine Experiences Research Group is interested in learning about your experience with Ibogaine treatment. We are conducting an online survey, which is completely anonymous, and invite anyone who has used Ibogaine to participate. We are based out of The School of Professional Psychology of Spalding University in Louisville, KY, USA. For more information, please click the link below. Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!

https://questionpro.com/t/ABnqSZOMkF

Thanks in advance for helping us document the experiences of Ibogaine users.  Feel free to email me at skatsikas@spalding.edu or call me at the number below if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Steve

Steve Katsikas, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, School of Professional Psychology
Spalding University
Mansion East, Room 312
502-873-4459

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Online Research regarding Ibogaine Experiences - Please help.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
We normally prohibit solicitations on this forum - typically financial schemes or lone wolf vendors - but the rare exception is not out of the question for appropriate interests: particularly if what's being solicited is (ostensibly) for academic pursuits.
 Still, this is only ever considered via communication with administration, which is being highlighted here for the benefit of exemplifying a unique situation:

Soliciting information of this sort is a very sensitive request.  I came across a message from a member who forwarded me a PM request from the party conducting this survey. This request should have been directed toward administration - (yet I realize if someone is new to these kinds of forums they might not understand that). Still, the message was  polite and requested permission to post this as a thread and even offered to help --- closing with the statement that they would 'wait for his reply'. Well, I did not have time to collect any information further than reading that PM when I saw that this thread was already placed in Eboka Talk. So much for waiting for a reply? I can fully dig enthusiasm for this work and am not likely to ever win a prize for patience myself, but this seemed strange to me. I was and am fully prepared to look closely into this, I have seen it elsewhere and moreover I have some knowledge of the university that is supposed to be generating this survey.

Anything which contains unusual or peculiar content - and makes its way to the open boards - is generally presumed by the community at large to have been 'allowed' to be there...so it is a safe assumption that seeing this thread, a member might presume that Eboka endorses the agency or individuals involved; and furthermore, has some insight about their agenda or intentions. This is certainly highly desirable data for admins to have about an entity freshly arrived and asking for information about people's experiences - especially for publication.

Now I do not mean to sound harsh, not even a little - but I was pretty amazed to see this thread posted without the author having communicated with anyone who is responsible/accountable for this site and its published content. I'm glad they thought to PM a member first, I can presume it was thought this was appropriate - but when the message stated that they would 'wait for reply' and clearly did not do so, I get a little bit... sketchy.  Is there a time limit? Being rushed always was a standout for suspicion in my book.

I should like to have had a discussion before we turn this loose on members and lurkers alike. People come here because they are comfortable and feel a measure of safety, we work diligently to maintain that climate - I cannot have that trust compromised because of my own oversights or someone else's impatience. We in this community want more research, more published and widespread availability of data about this medicine - but we cannot be reckless about keeping people safe and I cannot vouch for someone I have had no contact with...hate to be sounding harsh, but this would go over much better if we could learn just a little bit more about what you and your team want - anyone can call themselves whatever they like on the internet, and there are -sadly- plenty of folks out there who would demonize this medicine and the adjunct work around it, and nothing would surprise me about the steps such people would take. Trust is a very big word.

Having spoken to all of this and the situation being unique I have enough personal insight about Spalding University to feel at least confident that it'd be easy to discover any misrepresentations. Please do not misunderstand my motives - they are just a responsibility to this place and the folks who make it what it is. This started as an experiment in 2009 and has grown beyond my expectations. Can't have an episode of slackness crash down such a thing - this place is for everybody who needs it.

I will reset the post by skatsikas - but I want this thread here for future reference and the newbies at Eboka - so that transparency is valued and our standards are more clear. Thanks, we do welcome legitimate research, part of this reaction is that there is so little of the genuine article. Peace  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:12:06 AM by Calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
Always so eloquent, Cal!  :)  I second that emotion!  ;)
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
Bwitings Ebokazens...

The long missive written by me earlier in this thread was an illustration of concern for the wellbeing of this place as a whole and a descriptive for future reference on how to go about initiating such items through the forum. That said, I want to bump this thread, and will keep it sticky:

I had a very nice chat with the good doctor Steve the other day - he hails from my hometown and works for a University I am familiar with (used to date a killer nurse that graduated Spalding).

I am totally assured of his intentions concerning this project and furthermore would like to formally extend him and his staff every courtesy in achieving their goals.

This is important work - for all of us and for many reasons. Skatsikas shared with me his goal of having 100 of these experiential surveys completed and said as of our conversation he'd only managed fifteen. He thinks part of this is due to it being a fairly lengthy process, but it's time well spent friends. If he succeeds in getting the numbers he is after, it will increase the potential for publication in a wider scope of journals,etc instead of just being something that gets to see the light of day via MAPS (for instance) - which is not dissing MAPS mind you, but that would confine such data to the genre it already exists in and we would in some sense have this information 'preaching to the choir' and not disseminated throughout other publications that rarely see these kinds of surveys on this type of subject matter. It could be potentially seen in more diverse venues, the larger the numbers are - and this exposure is something that can really help the fate of future ibogaine research.

I encourage all of you to take the time or make the time to look into this survey - again I am putting my personal smiley face on it, for whatever that is worth - all the data is confidential and this is a noble endeavor and a chance for each of us who has had an experience with ibogaine to do a solid and retain the safety of our anonymity. The incentive therefore is self-evident: we can all of us play a part, however small, in propelling this forward with simply sharing our own perspectives.

Think about it my friends, we are the vanguard of this work and have been since its inception/discovery as a Western alternative therapy. It is exciting to participate in pioneering such important work, and I hope those who can share will find it in themselves to do so.

Thanks to each and every one y'all - member and lurker, I love you....Cal
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline pkeffect

• Neurotranslinguistic Manifestation
  • Administrator
  • "But I forgot my pen..."
    • View Profile
    • Stuff & Things
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
It has been 11 years since my first experience which I have never written up. I think it is time for me to come clean with my time spent with iboga and to help achieve the goals presented here.

EDIT: After getting through half of this survey I realized I should do it after I wake up and have had my dose of water, food and shower...

This thing is long and intensive but I believe they have done a great job with it so far. I will stop at 51% and continue once I wake up.

I hate things like this but it is for a good cause and is done rather well.

RE-EDIT: There is a 15 minute timeout on the survey....please make time to do the WHOLE thing, hehe.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:15:09 AM by pkeffect »
"We exist in a multidimensional polymorphic hyperspacial internode of neurotranslinguistic manifestations subjugated by hyperbolic quantum entanglement." - me

Offline skatsikas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
Sorry about the survey timing-out...it is unavoidable with the cloud-based survey program.  For folks considering participation, please plan on spending 45-55 uninterrupted minutes.  We know that is a good bit of time, but we wanted to be sure to ask a wide range of questions that captures details of your experiences with Ibogaine.

Best Regards,

Steve Katsikas