Author Topic: Soxhlet extraction with acetone  (Read 3676 times)

Offline mycotheologist

• View Profile
Soxhlet extraction with acetone
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »
Anyone here tried a Soxhlet extractor for iboga extractions? The solvent I'd use is acetone because the freebase alkaloids are soluble in it, it has a low boiling and its aprotic (which means its less likely to react with the alkaloids). I don't have a soxhlet extractor so I can't test this out yet.

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Re: Soxhlet extraction with acetone
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »
Anyone here tried a Soxhlet extractor for iboga extractions? The solvent I'd use is acetone because the freebase alkaloids are soluble in it, it has a low boiling and its aprotic (which means its less likely to react with the alkaloids). I don't have a soxhlet extractor so I can't test this out yet.

i friend of mine once assembled a pretty technologially shameless improvization of a soxhlet using a bucket and a... actually wait, there it is:

http://forums.lycaeum.org/index.php?topic=21256.msg267707#msg267707
"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline mycotheologist

• View Profile
Re: Soxhlet extraction with acetone
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
Nice!! I have a bit of a survivalist mentality so I'm a big fan of MacGyvering things. I MacGyvered a distillation apparatus once and it actually worked. Right now I'm trying to come up with a ghetto apparatus for bubbling gases. The apparatus I use consists of an RB flask, a gas outlet adaptor, an addition funnel and a tube. The addition funnel seems to be the trickiest part to get around. I could plug a wine bottle with a cork with tube through it but the tricky part is how do I add the second reactant to it. For example, if I wanna make ammonia, I add some ammonium sulphate to the wine bottle and put the cork in. Now I just need a way to add some NaOH solution to it. Have to have a bit of control over the addition speed too cuz if I added it all at once, the bottle might explode.

Another apparatus I improvised, hobo style was a reflux apparatus. I just inverted the lid of a cooking pot and put ice in the inverted lid lol.