Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline dusttrust

• View Profile
What do you do for a living?
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
What are you doing or what are you studying? I've been struggling for years to find what I want to do in life and now I'm asking what others psychonauts do in hope it will inspire me  :-\

Offline mushroom

• View Profile
Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I am a professional forager. Not as in checks or passports, medicinal plants and mushrooms. Wandering around in the woods is my job. You all have every right to be jealous.

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
I have a gardening business. I studied Horticulture in college and worked in green houses most of my life ( I started gardening when I was 5, really)  I have had my business for three years now and am CRAZY busy and have never had to advertise... I had three employees this year and I try to be as green as possible and plant as many natives as possible.  I love getting dirty and making beautiful gardens (perennial and vegetable)  Next up is doing free classes teaching others how to garden...esp vegetable gardens.  With all of the poisons and GMO's  I think it is very important to grow our own food.  I feel good about my job, even though it is physically exhausting, I love it and I am finally making money!!! I didn't have to take a loan out this winter to pay my bills!!! I also may even be able to take a real vacation next month!!!
I really believe that doing something you love, especially when it is helping more than destroying the Earth is a very positive thing for me and my mental state, especially after years of addiction.  I hope more and more people start growing their own food and I feel blessed to be able to help them.

Offline DR Pockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
I am a massage and bodywork therapist by "trade." I spent 1500 hours training to be better than most, and i cant even support myself doing it full time.  Either way, Im supposed to be a musician.  Its all i ever wanted or planned for, since i was 3 yrs old. I suppose im sympathizing with your situation.  Take an in depth survey of your self.  What do you want to do all the time? Or, what do you think about the most? College degree is well and good if you want to be a doctor, lawyer or investment banker.  Otherwise, just having one isnt likely to be helpful anymore. 
Ive found that it is vitally important to my motivation, and self worth, to have attainable goals, ie, projects.  Being a massage therapist is fun and meditative, but the only options for me me to work in this area are at day spas.  Every hour, a new person, aloof and demanding servitude, but nothing to WORK on.  My dad goes to work (doing something i would hate) and solves problems.  Projects that go on for weeks or months.  Hence writing music, playing with others is a much better fit for me.
Very tired. Sorry for rant
If you can put your five fingers through it, it is a gate, if not a door. Shut your eyes and see.

from 'Ulysses' by James Joyce

Offline Birdcatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
I am a metal fabricator (design, cut, form, weld, etc) and CNC machinist. mostly race car construction, hotrods and related parts. my hobby is rc airplanes. I use my work skills for my hobby and love it. find your passion and try to make a living with it. easier said than done I know. you might struggle financially but you probably will never hate your job. if I won the lottery I would be doing what I'm doing now except it would be all my own projects.  good luck

Offline strk.one

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
Hey good question. In my life prison was a blessing and while i was inside i taught myself to do my art. I had learned to tattoo prior to going in but never did any real artwork just applying stencils and doing the tattoo. prison gave me plenty of time to hone my skills. In my life prior to prison i was heavy into all drugs and tried to fill my hollow feeling with them\. I spose i allways wanted to paint or something but was always imbarrased or just too cool to ask for help anyways im tattooing now full time and paint draw in my spare time. art was the void for me that i was missing im sure there are other things too that would fill it  but so far art has saved my life. Thnx for asking. I hope you find what you are looking for. 6 years in prison is no way to find that thing but its what helped me. starting over in life is deff not ever easy I wish you luck my friend. do what makes your heart sing....
Life is like a box of chocolates you never know whitch one is gonna have the rum in it...

Offline PrimusCantus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
Hmmm....wtf em I doing in life?  :P Fix computers, making Tipis(applicators) for RapĂ©, organizing concerts, relaxations with Tibetan singing bowls,....whatever it makes me fell free and alive. After Ayahuasca sessions and Kambo I started to grow and I just couldn't fit in the system anymore. It's harder but I'm more alive. I hope you'll find an inspiration.

Peace and love, dusttrust 
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline iboga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »
I'm a chiropractor students.

Offline Theghostofbillhicks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
I teach English in high school, I'm head of the faculty department.

Offline Jox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
I am disabled to work by being ill with fibromyalgia, which is permanent pain. I receive $ from the gov.

My job is to keep myself as healthy as I can, physically and mentally, not to burden the universe nor my friends nor my partner with my limitations. My job is to make sense of existence of living corpse that is going to drag itself for a long time, since there is no cure. My job is to have a faith that one day I will get better or well. My job is to have dreams, yet to accept that in present time I am limited to barely minimum action.

Jox

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »
Tibetan singing bowls,....whatever it makes me fell free and alive.
PrimusCantus, you sound like the head hippie in the intentional community in the comedy movie "Wanderlust."   ;D  I am a big fan of comedy....no offense intended. 

All jokes aside, Tibetan singing bowls were a continuous theme in many of my floods.  They are like instant Theta wave instigators.  Love the sound! 

I get great relaxing effects from playing the tongue drum, as well as the didgeridoo.  Those bowls are not cheap from what I gather.....one day I will have a set to use!   

Jox, I hope you find what you are looking for.  I hope you find peace. 

Offline strk.one

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
Hey jox did you not get any relief from the fibro with the eboka just curious my wife has the same and i was thinking that she could get relief.Just curious. I do know what its like by proxy and she is now beginning to feel better since the opiates have been discontinued they work forabit but then the addiction takes over and one never really knows if the flairups are over if your always in withdrawal.....
Life is like a box of chocolates you never know whitch one is gonna have the rum in it...

Iboga Panacea

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
Jox's use of Kambo seems to have helped...

"CFS FM and ME"
http://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=218.msg1099;topicseen#msg1099