Author Topic: Meaningful Media  (Read 3456 times)

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Meaningful Media
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
This makes me laugh, then laugh some more, then get sad about the US....., then thankful for the blessing of this sacrament.  A friend of mine made this. 

A skeptical African boy:

http://i.imgur.com/pcSw0.jpg

Offline JackTripper

• High Pope
  • maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Meaningful Media
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
ENDABUSE huh ?
I find this very interesting because the Copyright at the very end is 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCNPbaL5WU&playnext=1&list=PLFFFADC18E27464E6&feature=results_main
The root does not work for you, you must work for the root.

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »
Haven't seen much under this topic... Thanks for the thread. This is a spot where we could add things like movies, clips, music, books etc that inspired us to explore Iboga more, for some of the Newbies that may have not seen some of them... I am sure this has been talked about before.. need to catch up

I really like this one a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YnCRxcFfg

I also just finished reading "Iboga the Visionary root of African Shamanism" Very Good.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:12:49 AM by lalababa »

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
This is the powerful being that I met on my last flood. 

I am not an artist, so please no judgements there.

I am looking for artists who are interested in collaborating on some work.  I have so much imagery that is sticking with me these days.  If I knew how to draw......

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
Haven't seen much under this topic... Thanks for the thread. This is a spot where we could add things like movies, clips, music, books etc that inspired us to explore Iboga more, for some of the Newbies that may have not seen some of them...
I really like this one a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YnCRxcFfg
I also just finished reading "Iboga the Visionary root of African Shamanism" Very Good.
Lala, thanks for sharing this and the book!  I will add it to the never-ending open tabs and pile of reading :o
That is exactly what I was going for with this thread.  Anything that holds meaning to you, pre or post flood.  Talk about why.....
I.E.  "The source" or the being I met took me on a wild journey......he acted as if he was the creator or divine.  It was magical.  I still see him to this day.  Any attempt to open my third eye can bring him in clear site.  This was more than a vision to me.  This was an interaction and an inspiration and probably many other things that I just don't quite understand......yet. 
We could all post here for days.  I would like to try and keep the focus to: What was the meaning of the media to YOU!  And whatever discourse branches off from that  :)

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Awesome!  I saw you draw it!  is similar to S and I's vision of "him" too... not exact or even close, but similar.

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
The book is Highly recommended.... bump it up the list, you will not be disappointed,  I can't stop thinking of it.  I learned a lot.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
I saw this when on Molly with some unknown hallucinogen in there many months ago.  At the time I saw it, it was tripped out, beyond well-made, and touched my heart in many ways.  As I am sober watching it, it still brings me great joy due to my childhood memories and the symbol of purity of human being it reminds us of.  Hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzXaFbxDcM

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
Last video i posted is really worth checking out if you haven't already.  Feel free to share your thoughts, that's what this thread is all about.  Mr Rogers is crazy awesome!!!

This was just shared with me.  Good tune, great video.  It should stimulate thought around creation, destruction, innocence, and the death of it, and for me, Iboga in a way.  Remember, I am a blue healing energy.   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LEtlbQnfhxU#!

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
JBG and others are talking about the power of Nootropics, specifically Noopept.  I am going to order this soon.  I am doing great all together, but drinking too much caffeine.  I "zone out" too often, and get distracted easily by the internet.....it's great to be alive and to focus!  More focus =  :)

Notice how the importance of "intention" is stressed.  This lab sums it up pretty well it seems:

http://www.elevatedlabs.com/blogs/an-elevated-perspective/6693368-hijacked-how-modern-media-has-affected-our-abilities-to-focus-and-how-to-reclaim-our-brain

Hijacked! How Modern Media has Affected Our Ability to Focus...and How to Reclaim Our Brain's

The advent of written language – the first major outsourcing of consciousness – enabled the flow of information to culminate in more world-changing ideas than ever before. The Internet has taken that race by storm, allowing everyone to participate in whatever discussion they find or to start discussions as they wish. But we must also consider the rise of distinctly modern media-related cognitive issues: namely, Attention Deficit Disorder ADD) and anxiety. It would be pure fallacy to imagine a social-technological regression, we are firmly within the information age and progress is forward motion within that strand. The question then, is how do we deal with the consequences of our outsourcing of consciousness towards living the good life.

While the notion of the good life can and has taken volumes to provide no single answer, we can, for our purposes, survey many great Thinkers (e.g. Aristotle, Jung, Foucault, Ramachandran) and draw a conclusion based on characteristic: a good life is characterized by an individual who is able to rationally contemplate (i.e. to focus) and to be free from the depressive symptoms of fear and anxiety. This then will be our lens of analysis. We shall first treat the notion of focus and its molestation by technology, then we shall consider how the inability to focus leads to anxiety-related disorders. The future implication here is that the ever-rapid outsourcing of consciousness will lead to widespread manifestation of these issues. We can then conclude by suggesting certain strategies to circumvent these consequences in the pursuance of the good life.

What does it mean to focus? Dictionary.com defines is as “a central point, as of attraction, attention, or activity”. This seems to be a good definition in that it implies directed behavior towards the achievement of a particular goal – certainly, Life rewards those who know what they want; those who are focused. If an individual diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder is the opposite of one who is focused, we know whom we are speaking of: 5.4 million American children (cdc.gov) are officially diagnosed with the disorder and many more millions of adults – to say nothing of the rampant abuse of AD(H)D drugs by college students and professionals to combat the "inability to focus". So, the inability to focus is common and therefore relevant. But what are the causes of ADD? And are shorter attention spans really linked to the rise of electronic media?

Harvard Psychologist Edward Hallowell certainly thinks so. Indeed, “[t]elevision, music videos, and video games… unfold at a much faster pace than real life” (Doidge 309) and this has led to certain neural adaptations to keep up. Looking deeper, Pavlov surmised these attentive adaptations to be linked to orienting responses, “which occur whenever we sense a sudden change in the world around us” (309). The typical loud noises, flashing lights, music, explosions, machine gun fire, and sexualization of the modern media all demand a great deal of cognitive attention – not because we want to, but because, evolutionarily, if we didn’t, we might die or miss an opportunity to mate. We see that we cannot help but look, we are primed to orient towards our own survival; a response the modern media has hikacked. Because our attention is necessarily torn from a single focal object of focus the origin of ADD is now clear. No wonder we cannot/do not read a text book at a concert; of course it is absurd to attempt to focus with a friend playing a loud video game in the same room. Indeed, a recent study of more than twenty-six hundred toddlers shows that early exposure to television between the ages of one and three correlates with problems paying attention and controlling impulses later in childhood. For every hour of TV the toddlers watched each day, their chances of developing… [ADD] increased by 10 percent. (307).

This inability to focus directly leads to anxiety – one has a feeling of uneasiness but cannot discern the root of it. Indeed, anxiety often compliments uncertainty for we are often anxious about what we do not know. In light of the above description of focus and its current state in society we would also predict a similar distribution of anxiety. And we would be correct: the National Institute of Health registers about “40 million Americans age 18 and older” (nih.gov) with some sort of anxiety disorder. Clearly then this media-induced inability to focus has led to a socialized anxiety among the American people. For the sake of space, we will turn towards practical day-to-day solutions.

One solution is simple: don’t watch TV. Or, if you do, watch with intention, don’t just sit there and absentmindedly allow your cognitive capabilities to be undermined. Understand that time spent "zoning out" engaging in such activities is time spent undermining your cognitive faculties and dulling the power of your mind. Read that sentence again, it's very important. Another way to seize control of your cognitive health is to take stock of your typical media interactions; consider what amount of your media comes from what medium (i.e. 30% magazines, newspapers; 15% radio; 55% television) and take steps to trim back the most distracting one (or the one you "zone out" the most often in) and replace that time either with another activity or another media source. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and Supplements such as a daily Multivitamin, Fish Oil Capsules, and Nootropics can assist in enhancing cognitive faculties as well.

Altogether, the road to focus is one marked by intention. Seek out intentional activities and you yourself and the way you think will become more intentional. This intentionality then becomes a habit and a skill which can be directed towards positive achievement in virtually every sphere of your wider life.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
So Steve Jobs thinks that if Bill Gates had done entheogens, the technological race would have gone differently?  Anyway, apple's visualizer is definitely more trippy than Windows, if anyone still remembers those.  Great article which I think slightly echoes the theory that we evolved from psychedelics, how opening the mind and staying elastic in the brain in old age is the new evolution.  Enjoy! 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201110/psychedelics-open-the-mind

Offline JackTripper

• High Pope
  • maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
Dana Beal as he gets Sentenced
he starts dropping Truth about Ibogaine in the Court room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKgOh_VSQe0
The root does not work for you, you must work for the root.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
http://video.pbs.org/video/1283872815

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World is a 2001 nonfiction book by journalist Michael Pollan. This work explores the nature of domesticated plants from the dual perspective of humans and the plants themselves. Pollan presents case studies that mirror four types of human desires that are reflected in the way that we selectively grow, breed, and genetically engineer our plants. The apple reflects the desire of sweetness, the tulip beauty, marijuana pleasure and the potato sustenance.

Pollan narrates his own experience with each of the plants, which he then intertwines with an exploration into their social history. Each section presents an element of human domestication, or the "human bumblebee" as Pollan calls us. The stories range from the true story of Johnny Appleseed to Pollan's first-hand research with sophisticated marijuana hybrids in Amsterdam to the paradigm-shifting possibilities of genetically engineered potatoes. Pollan also discusses the limitations of monoculture agriculture: specifically, the adoption in Ireland of a single breed of potato (the Lumper) made the Irish vulnerable to a fungus to which it had no resistance, resulting in the Irish Potato Famine. The Peruvians from whom the Irish had gotten the potato grew hundreds of varieties, so their exposure to any given pest was slight.