Author Topic: Microdosing with St. John's Wort  (Read 1789 times)

Offline acrosstheveil

• View Profile
Microdosing with St. John's Wort
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
I've been taking st. john's wort for about three months now and am about to order some iboga rootbark to start a microdosing regimen.   Can I stay on the st. john's wort while doing this or is it a better idea to stop completely?  I guess I would like to know if anyone has taken iboga while on st. john's wort before?

Thanks,

Brandon   :D

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
Re: Microdosing with St. John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »
Hi acrosstheveil,

You know, I don't know for sure about this, but I would think that you would not want to mix the two.
St. Johns Wort is an antidepressant

from wiki: "The exact mechanism by which St John's wort functions is unclear and subject to conjecture. The St John's wort mechanism is believed to involve inhibition of serotonin (5?HT) reuptake, much like the conventional selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants.[31] The major active antidepressive constituents in St John's wort are thought to be hyperforin and hypericin, although other biologically active constituents present, for example, flavonoids and tannins, may also be involved" 

I don't think you want to take anything else that are going to have an effect on serotonin.  I am just not sure about this one though, maybe someone else will jump in but if not, I'd rather be safer than sorry right?

lalababa