Author Topic: Shamans and Spirits  (Read 3468 times)

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shamans and Spirits
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
Meeting Mr. Iboga on flood #4 was my tipping point.  The experience of seeing him with my eyes and my heart, interacting with him, learning from him, that whole experience was undoubtedly the building of the foundation for my spiritual rebirth---for my ability to "see" with the spirit world, and gain healing.  This transformation is all encompassing, and redefines rebirth for me.  I do continue to communicate with the spirit world, and talk about seeing the world with a child-like wonder all over again!!  I do not consider myself a shaman in the traditional sense, because I have never had an apprenticeship or initiation from an elder.  However, some would say that I am developing my own recipe for healing, and you can call it whatever you want!   How about: The Way of the Blue Tiger    ;D

The below link is to a site that Daniel Pinchbeck is the Chief Editor for, I believe (at least he was at one point).  Great site, with great thinkers, so much to offer from this one site for people in this community, and the whole world if they were as receptive.  Here is the link to the full article.  I am studying and living consciousness expansion everyday, and it is empowering to say the least.  I copied a portion of the article that deals with consciousness and intent..  Enjoy! 

http://www.realitysandwich.com/our_world_shamans_spirits

SHAMANS

Definitions are often a contentious matter, particularly in the case of shamans and shamanism. What I offer now is what I have personally found useful in my work with shamans, and within shamanism, for half a century. The following words are not intended to satisfy everyone, or perhaps even most, but they are intended to communicate what I am talking about in this book.

While the work of shamans encompasses virtually the full gamut of known spiritual practices, shamanism is universally characterized by an intentional change in consciousness (Eliade's "ecstasy") to engage in purposeful two-way interaction with spirits. Its most distinctive feature, which is not universal, is the out-of-body journey to other worlds.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:53:47 PM by BlueTiger »

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
Re: Shamans and Spirits
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Thanks for posting this. Ended up on grabbing Cave & Cosmos on my kindle after reading the article and googling up on Michael Harner :-)

The prefix has already sucked me in, so needed to put it down for when I have time. He evidently knew and influenced Carlos Castanda and says that Don Juan was real, but embellished in later books.

I hear you about being a child all over again too! Pinchebeck's Breaking Open the Head and even his 2012 book are essential reads if you havent read them yet. Also  Graham Hancock's Supernatural. Seems like Harner is the Grandaddy of them all though! btw, just finished Rupert Sheldrake's The Science Delusion which I cannot recommend enough. Its a celebration of open minded science inquiry that highlights how limited our modern materialist wordview is.

Offline mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
awesome! i'm in for my 4th flood and i feel so excited!
(edit: sorry BlueTiger, i missed your post when you had originally posted it..)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:20:23 AM by mo »
in a universe like ours, to beings like us, the idea of a god dying can be quite liberating

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
so, been reading through Cave & Cosmos which is the sequel to Harner's seminal Way of the Shaman.
Fascinating how all the experiences related were achieved simply through drum beating. His first book was more focused on ayahausca aided journeys. His excitement is due to the fact that both experiences are in essence, the same and represent different doors to the same spirit world. Not just the use of drums, but harps, rattles and other instruments used for sonic driving. The bwiti use of their sacred harp is an obvious a form of sonic driving that also combines with the effects of the alkaloids.  The history of how shamans used drums worldwide for this sonic driving, and how shamanism has been persecuted via witch hunts etc... by 'civilized' empires is very sad.

Harner's Foundation for Shamanic Studies is well established with thousands of trip reports done with drumming to map out the spirit worlds represented by the Axis Mundi. This book relates some of those. He provides appendices and drum tapes to show how it can be done by yourself.

Im wondering if this drum beat effect is similar to Robert Monroe (Monroe Institute founder) and his binaural beats methods http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Monroe

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:28:22 PM by ddraig »

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
Just finished Cave & Cosmos. Seriously recommend this to anyone curious as the spiritual aspects of the use of aya & iboga or shamans in general. Harner provides step by step instructions to journey/trip with just the use of drum beats on an mp3 player. Not tried it myself, but evidently 90% of people can do this, with intent and concentration lying down in a dark & quiet room. Fascinating how simple it is. Really mindblowing stuff, that within 15-30 minutes you can obtain deep visionary and revelatory experiences w.o. psychedelic assistance, that take years of meditation to achieve.

Now reading his Way of the Shaman, and the first chapter has really sucked me in. Talks about his first ayahausca experience which lead him on his path. http://www.shamanism.org/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:56:25 PM by ddraig »

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
Wow!  This is so cool.  I always knew this, and have experienced theta states from drumbeats and chanting, but never visuals or revelations. 

Does he mention specific tracks to use? 

Going to summit a 14,000 ft peak....no big deal.  Be back in a couple days....thanks for the write up DD!

awesome! i'm in for my 4th flood and i feel so excited!
(edit: sorry BlueTiger, i missed your post when you had originally posted it..)

Mo, journey well brother!   :)

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
Wow!  This is so cool.  I always knew this, and have experienced theta states from drumbeats and chanting, but never visuals or revelations. 

Does he mention specific tracks to use? 

Going to summit a 14,000 ft peak....no big deal.  Be back in a couple days....thanks for the write up DD!

Enjoy the hike man! Yes, he provides links to his site where you can purchase them to support his foundation (there maybe some free tracks, have not really checked) . He mentions that the beats have to be a certain frequency range, which are on the mp3s. Yes, theta states are the range iirc.