Author Topic: Augustin Lesage: Channeling Other Worlds and Painting Them.  (Read 3715 times)

Offline holybark

• View Profile
Augustin Lesage: Channeling Other Worlds and Painting Them.
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
This is some of the most fascinating art I have ever seen, made by a fascinating man, with a fascinating story. Augustin Lesage was a coal miner whom one day heard voices telling him to be a painter, how to paint, and where to get the supplies.  His work has stunning symmetry, detail, and a remarkable similarity to many things I have seen under the influence of entheogens.  He did these paintings by hand, with no training (other than the guidance of the voices in his head).  From the article: "It was his belief that the voices speaking to him were the spirits of his little sister who had died at the age of three, artists from ancient Greece and even Leonardo da Vinci himself. Guiding his hand, they told him, “Do not try to understand what you’re doing,” claims Lesage, who wrote that before he would start to paint, he would never have any idea as to what he wanted to portray. “I never have an overview of the entire work at any point of the execution. My guides tell me … I surrender to their impulse.”"   http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/10/01/are-we-looking-at-a-madmans-doodles-or-messages-from-another-world/   
AMAZING stuff here! What are your thoughts?
I'm not in your trap, I'm in my own trap.

Offline kbud

• View Profile
Re: Augustin Lesage: Channeling Other Worlds and Painting Them.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
Amazing is right.... I would give anything to be struck with something like this !!!

Offline holybark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:49:53 AM »
The level of detail is so good it hurts a little bit!
I'm not in your trap, I'm in my own trap.

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »
fascinating. going through all his work I can find online. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
Goodness!!!

That is absolutely spectacular, thanks so much for posting this. I am not quite sure what to make, I believe it is clear that HE believes he is directed by 'other' agencies - and from the symmetrical precision, echoes of Greek, Roman, and Egyptian [especially?] genres - oh, and this guy never went to school for any of this? Hmmmm...

Savant genius or obsessive hermit...or trance medium? Maybe all of the above. Whatever the case, it sure is an interesting find and one that I will be exploring. This guy's paintings are unbelievable and the story behind it fascinating yet dubious: we learn of simple 'regular folks' who suffer head/brain traumas and from time to time someone will come out of a coma or near brush with death and suddenly they're a Mozart or Michelangelo. The Mind is boundless, wonderfully inexhaustible and we really understand so little of ourselves in so many ways, yet I can't keep from the allure of the Mystical for anything. Is it that I want it to be so?
I can get way out lost on metaphysics - but somehow so much of the paradox of it paradoxically rings true. Maybe you have to be a little crazy to apprehend this perspective at all, let alone abide in that milieu, whatever it is will probably always remain a mystery and that itself is worth its weight in unobtainium  ;D
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline everseeaflowerandhateit?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Breathtaking. Intriguing. Amazing....I paint and draw a lot...to be able to tap into, let alone maintain such disciplined focus, is nothing short of pure beauty. Rare gifts! I scratch my head, as I can't believe what I'm peering into.