Author Topic: Hey Muse! What tunes are you jamming to these days?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline holybark

• View Profile
Hey Muse! What tunes are you jamming to these days?
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
Just found this track that is very catchy and happy, thought I'd share with my homies.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VE_7o8GuPk (members of Animal Collective, Dirty Projectors, and Ponytail) Check that chorus!
What music is getting you guys off these days?
I'm not in your trap, I'm in my own trap.

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Muse! What tunes are you jamming to these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
I just found out that Polvo has a new album and will be purchasing it as soon as I start making money again.  I have heard some of it and it is wonderful.. they had a new album a couple of years ago and it was their first album in over 10 years and they seem to be even better, which I think is unusual for a band after taking such a long hiatus.
  Die Antwoord also has a new album that either just came out or is about to and I am really looking forward to that one as I am a little but obsessed with them.. I am really looking forward to their new videos because they have the most insane videos I have ever seen!

lala

Offline holybark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
Polvo is great.  Listening to the new stuff now, it is awesome.  Die Antwoord is also a fantastic catchy group.  Perfect odd to catchy ratio with them. Fatty Boom Boom was a great video. I kind of have a crush on Yolandi, but who doesn't? Have you heard Future Islands Lala? They just played an outrageously passionate and solid set on Letterman.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c  What a great front man!  They also have been occupying my ears a lot more lately. 

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
I haven't heard them.. but will check them out.. Anyone who likes Polvo has good taste in my book.. They were my favorite band in High School and probably my all time favorite especially since hey are still putting out amazing music!

I even have a crush on Yolandi, she is so tiny and looks like a little fairy.. I got to see them live close to a year and a half ago and it was such a fun show. 

Thanks!

Offline holybark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
she is so tiny and looks like a little fairy..
haha true

Offline lbark

• Donating Member
  • Like to talk about Iboga? I like to listen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
I just found out that Polvo has a new album and will be purchasing it as soon as I start making money again.  I have heard some of it and it is wonderful.. they had a new album a couple of years ago and it was their first album in over 10 years and they seem to be even better, which I think is unusual for a band after taking such a long hiatus.
  Die Antwoord also has a new album that either just came out or is about to and I am really looking forward to that one as I am a little but obsessed with them.. I am really looking forward to their new videos because they have the most insane videos I have ever seen!

lala

Man, I haven't heard Polvo for years...they were my favorite for quite some time.
Only thing is...it used to kind of be my getting high music...that is actually why I stopped listening to them.
Great band though, especially stuff from 10+ years ago was def. on the cutting edge of rock music.
Basse' to my Posse'

Offline lalababa

• UBERMOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
Cool lbark,

So you haven't heard their album In Prisim that came out a few years ago?  The new one that was just released is called Siberia. I saw them live a few times, in the 90's and one time they were so out of it, on dope, that the show sucked.. the next time I saw them they were great.. they are all clean and have families now, so maybe if you listen to them again it won't bring up those feelings, knowing that about them... but I understand.. if it would be a trigger of any sort then maybe you should skip it, huh? 

lala
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:14:08 PM by lalababa »

Offline Tyler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
When I'm feeling down and like I can't take another minute of living, I pop in some Bobby Byrd and it pumps me up to try it again! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q719za15gRE

And one of my favourite songs also is a melody that comes from Ancient Greece, that was transcribed on the tombstone of a deceased woman by her widowed husband. It's called "Seikilos' Epitaph" and it's simple and very uplifting to me - very good to hum or sing! A song that speaks from out of a bygone age is so beautiful of a gift to us in the present time, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERitvFYpAk

Oh, can't forget 'Sound of the Wind' either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfQ4DiRzd14

As a Final Fantasy song it's one of my all-time favourites!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:16:29 PM by doubtingmind »

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »
Phutureprimitive (w/Alyssa Palmer) "Luminous"  ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_LKLy3HM-Q

Lyrics:
This time, I've been what I'm looking for
It's in my hands, I won't let go
In my impossible endeavors, I can't let go of this soul, it brings me low

Enough is enough when you're picking sides
All the feelings left behind, no one knows where the story ends.

These days, been looking at myself, lay down, just lay down
See my shivering from across the room, lay down, just lay down

It hurts me to carry this soul, it's heavy and hard to hold
Am I dying
I can't be dying

Just have faith, all these days will amount to something
Lay down, Lay down
Just have faith, I've been waiting for so long
Just lay down, Lay down

It hurts me to carry this soul, it's heavy and hard to hold
Am I dying, I can't be dying
It kills me, the killing kind, It breaks me I can't rewind
Am I dying,
I can't be dying

Oohhhhh I'm not far away
Oohhhhh I'm not far away
Oohhhhh I'm not far away

" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »

Offline holybark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Tyler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
lol, jamming. hm... dunno about that one, i'll jam to whatever's playing usually.

celtic woman used to be my go-to band, but my go-to bands tended to mix around a lot, like in a big never-ending circle. so for a while i would listen to upbeat music and for a while i would listen to depressing music. not really because i craved being euphoric or depressed, although as a teenager i was super angsty lol. there's just something about having a mix of both that feels right to me somehow. i'd even cycle between very "innocent" music like Disney tunes, and then go and listen to some more "mature" stuff, since it felt good in the bigger scheme of things to have a balance and to never be too one-sided (ie. all innocent / euphoric songs or all "mature" / depressing songs). i put mature in quotes since it's all relative.

but lately i am listening to a lot of classical music, that helps to motivate me so much at work. it is not a preference thing that makes it special since during my free time i would prefer to listen to something more emm... you know, "real", with some more modern and authentic feelings expressed? but something about the harmoniousness of it, the classical music, makes me feel like i am structured while working into the great tapestry of life - and it definitely takes the weariness for me out of pushing a broom around or lifting heavy boxes all day.

but def an amazing artist to me is Herman van Veen.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:42:54 PM by zweilichtruhe »

Offline Tyler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
ah sod it - this song is really special to me, so i want to share it

Träume von Herman van Veen                                                          Dreams by Herman van Veen

Du hast nichts verdient, und Du hast nicht Geburtstag,                    You deserve nothing, and you have no birthday,
Du hast auch schon alles, was man sich denkt.                                you have everything already that you think to yourself.
Und doch hab' ich noch eine kleine Überraschung:                           And yet I still have a small surprise:
Du bekommst heut' von mir meine Träume geschenkt.                     You receive a gift today from out of my dreams.

Träume, die keimen im Schatten des Innern,                                    Dreams that germinate in the shadow of the interior,
entstanden aus Freude, aus Glück und aus Pein.                             grow out of happiness, out of joy, and out of pain.
Ein Funken Verlangen - ein Teil unseres Ichs,                                   A spark of desire - a part of our ego,
den einzugesteh'n wir uns selten verzeih'n.                                     to admit we rarely forgive.

Ein Traum für ein Kind, das nur darum zur Welt kam,                        A dream for a child, that only just came out into the world,
weil seine Eltern sich einmal versah'n,                                              because his parents knew it once,
das groß wird und lernt, daß die Arbeit das Höchste,                        that which is great is learned, that the work is the key,
und vor lauter Arbeit gar nichts andres mehr kann.                          and before pure work nothing else more can be.

Träume für einen, der nachts mit dem Schlaf ringt;                           Dreams for someone who struggles with sleep in the night;
ein Traum für den Mann, der sein Leben geweiht,                            a dream for the man who dedicated his life,
im Wettstreit der Erste, der Beste zu werden,                                  in the contest to be the first to become the best,
der alles schon hat, bis auf ein bißchen Zeit.                                     who has everything already, except a bit of time.
Zeit für den Haselnußstrauch, früh im Frühjahr -                               Time for the hazelnut schrub, early in the spring -
ein lichtgrüner Traum von einem blühenden Baum!                           a light green dream of a flowering tree!
Träume wie Tau auf feuerroten Äpfeln,                                              Dreams like dew on fire-red apples,
wie bebende Küken im flauschigen Flaum.                                         like trembling chicks in their fluffy fluff.

Du hast nichts verdient, und Du hast nicht Geburtstag,                     You deserve nothing, and you have no birthday,
Du hast auch schon alles, was man sich denkt.                                  you have everything already that you think to yourself.
Ein Tag wie ein Zweig auf dem Tisch in der Vase.                               A day like a twig on the table in the vase.
Uns're Umarmung - ist das kein Geschenk?                                        Our embrace - is that not a gift?

it's a really pretty song and it always helps me when i'm going through a rough patch, to remember the lyrics. i don't know a lot of German so my translation might not be totally accurate, but it should be pretty accurate, since i had the help of google translate.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:22:16 PM by zweilichtruhe »