Author Topic: Fear extinction and Iboga - can I try to guide my flood?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline spiritofsouth

• View Profile
Fear extinction and Iboga - can I try to guide my flood?
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I really appreciate any feedback you could give me.  I have done a flood dose in the past and had many great insights and help from this but I feel the root problem was not addressed during this experience. 

Is it possible or advisible to try to "steer" or focus your  your flood experience in a particular direction?   I have a particular phobia which is ruining my life.  Over the years I have had increasing extreme fear and panic when driving, especially on the highways.  I know the roots of this fear and why I have it, but knowing does not help me face the problem. "exposure therapy" in real life is actually dangerous because panic on a highway can lead to over cautious behavior which in turn could easily lead to an accident.  But  I was thinking that if I could engage in a few activities while flooding that I could in a way "virtually expose" myself to this and extinguish the fear.  That is watch videos of fast driving, highway driving, affirmations and using a computerized highway driving simulator or other things like this that could force me into the roots of that fear and come out the other side could be a good first step in conquering this.   Do you guys think that it is ok to try to influence the direction of the flood or should one just sit back and let the medicine decide what needs to be faced and addressed? 

Also does anyone have any anecdotal stories or know anyone that Iboga has helped with phobias and/or panic disorder? 

SOS

Offline mo

• View Profile
Re: Fear extinction and Iboga - can I try to guide my flood?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:35:08 AM »
watch turbo (2013) ;)
though - i'm not sure that you should watch anything during a flood, but who knows - if the setting is right .?.
as for steering the journey - regardless of the differences of the shamans and the cultures,
it is stressed by all, again and again, that intention is very important, crucial, so yes: absolutely.
but remember that sometimes you don't get what you want but what you need. personally i made the experience
that my sense of priorities or urges of what needs healing first was not addressed. and i do suffer under that,
but still - the issues that got addressed were all really important and surprising.
come to think of it - i should say more often that i have been guilty of not celebrating the ceremonies enough.
i mean - they are celebrations of life! i'm loving it. joy is medicine!
you know why i'm saying that? i'm starting to very slowly get the idea that throughout all we do, it is holding
of space that allows for healing - holding in joy and love and strength - with a clear/good/healthy intention!
create a setting in which you do all you can to meet your fears as such.
as sri nisargadattha maharaj sometimes says: that is all.
:)

as for the panic - i had panic attacks for over 10 years. and my first flood with iboga made them go away - but in an amazing and surprising way and i made this experience again and again: in situations that are dangerous (perceived or real - it does not matter) the body will produce adrenaline. now - this need not necessarily cause fear/panic - adrenalin actually can make you sharp and euphoric! it is there to enable you to deal with situation where you have to be quick!

and i have seen this first hand - i used to live in fear/panic in my heart beat, it turned it upside down - i now get euphoric and strong and sure of myself in situations where before i panicked! it's amazing!

anybody else here got a taste for walking into 'danger' and enjoying it? boasting might sound foolish, i agree, but it is really the undoing of fear - the knowing that there is nothing to fear really!
in a universe like ours, to beings like us, the idea of a god dying can be quite liberating

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »
Ha- "steer" your flood in a direction...

With a flood, I would not recommend watching videos. Alternatively, Iboga is known to be responsive to questions and prayers. You can offer up a question or intention once you are in the flood--an invitation to Iboga to help you explore your fear of driving. This should be enough.

If you want to try to trigger the actual feeling of being on the road, I would recommend doing that on a lower dose of Iboga. A dose that does not leave you so impressionable. With higher doses, you want to go inward, anyway.

Offline BlueTiger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
SOS

From a glance at your post, and a warm welcome to you, it seems as if some silly cybon would do you better if "fear extinction" as you put it is the goal.  This is just from what we are seeing with tests on PTSD patients in some recent research...

I will try to find the link to the article...

Mushrooms are a lot less taxing on the body than Iboga, typically.  Iboga should be viewed more often as a last resort, IMHO. 

Blue T
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:27:44 PM by BlueTiger »

Offline spiritofsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »
Thank you all for your kind replies,

After what you all said I also think it is best not to be watching videos and whatnot during a flood, so I am going to scratch this idea and instead focus on the prayer / intention to maybe help me get to the root of the panic issue, which has manifested as a fear of highway driving, but the true root of the problem is deeper and maybe the iboga can help me get there.  I think for the specific issue doing either a small iboga dose or like you suggested mushrooms, accompanied by the virtual reality might be enough to trigger the fear and allow me to "ride through it" and learn that it is not real and possibly just become more comfortable with the feeling of panic and realize that the feeling itself is not a danger to me in a physical sense , at least .  I will update the thread after I do these things.. thanks again

SOS

Offline buck36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 06:08:37 PM »
I dont think there is a way to guide a "flood". The flood guides you. This is the point. Do not be afraid.