Author Topic: Meetup Web-based Service for Local Groups  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Meetup Web-based Service for Local Groups
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
While looking for new local people to meet with like interests and good habits, I came upon MeetUp.com.

http://www.meetup.com/

It just struck me that people interested in iboga have like interests and are certainly trying hard to have good habits.

Plus, it might be a good way to get an audience for Eric Taub.

I found only one meetup group in the world dedicated to iboga:  Iboga House in Toronto, Canada

http://www.meetup.com/Iboga-House-North-American-Seminars/

The only catch is a $12 per month fee.

Anyone have info/experience with meetup?

Thanks!

Eon

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Meetup Web-based Service for Local Groups
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »
No experience here.  I don't usually use the social networking sites, other than forums that pertain to my specific interests. ;)
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
Yeah Dad, I have zero experience, too.

I am contemplating writing to Eric Taub to see what he thinks about having an audience created in such a way.

While I think it highly unlikely, the authorities could use a publicly announced meeting to drop by and make notes.  Since I am a clean livin' kinda guy, I have little to fear.  I just wonder about the others who would attend.

If you had a problem with an illegal substance, would you come to such a meeting?

Would it attract people seeking to help loved ones?  Potential providers?  Thrill seekers?  Serious spiritual seekers?

While I did not find any groups for addiction or alcoholism here in Madison, there are numerous such groups around the country.

Is there a better way to go about this than using meetup.com?

Please help, I'm wandering around in an unknown wilderness...     ~Eon

fallout330

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »
I've used Meetup.com before, pretty useful site.  Would be interested to see how that would work out related to this community.

Offline riverhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
I've used it and it's hit or miss depending on how many people in your area are interested in what you are and know about meet up.  I joined a kayaking group that was really kicking-- lots of activities and people... but then I tried a biking group for older folks-- those of us who don't want to go 22 mph and draft off others etc... but actually look at the scenery here in sunny FL-- NO takers.....

fallout330

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
Very true river  ;D Same experience here...although different groups of course.