Author Topic: A Suggestion for Addiction After-Care  (Read 4409 times)

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Suggestion for Addiction After-Care
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:16:21 AM »
I was just speaking on the phone to an as yet unnamed Eboka member (he may choose to reveal himself ;) ) and he was saying how the most underrated aspect of flooding with Iboga is the *after care*. So this is what I would like to address in this thread.

My suggestion is to use Salvia tea as an anti-addiction remedy when one is short on Iboga. Salvia, like Iboga, is a kappa-opioid agonist, shown to reduce addictive behavior http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sSmghiE52TUJ:https://ws.elance.com/file/DrugsBrain_Term_Paper.docx%3Fcrypted%3DY3R4JTNEcG9ydGZvbGlvJTI2ZmlkJTNENTc1Mzg3MzclMjZyaWQlM0QtMSUyNnBpZCUzRDQ3ODcyNDM%3D+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Salvia tea is NOT like smoked Salvia. Don't let the weird horror stories about smoked Salvia extracts deter you from trying the tea (or chewed leaves for quidding). It's a completely different ballpark.

Although I have never experienced addiction to substances, this experience does keep other addictions at bay (internet, stupid thoughts, comfort foods, etc.), and so I imagine that this would be a good kind of weekly or monthly upkeep for anyone warding off tendencies toward addiction.

Some effects you might expect from Salvia tea:

Calming
Meditative state
Temporarily arresting hunger
Abatement of addictive and compulsive tendencies
Slight ataxia
Insight into relationships/lifestyle/life

I like to call Salvia tea "Iboga-lite." That said, it can be quite powerful and should be approached meditatively and with great respect.

~~~

Here are the instructions:

The Approach:
Approach with care, trepidation, and questions. You do not have to be in a good place mentally to do Salvia, but you must at least understand that you are contacting a very wise and powerful consciousness, a genuine plant teacher. Your brain may be full of unwanted thoughts, knotted, and you may not be able to think or even see straight, and that's all okay.
I recommend not having other psychoactives in your system at the time of ingestion (although Syrian Rue seems to have a synergistic effect with Salvia). Have an empty stomach, but do not be ravenous. Your physical needs (sleep, hydration, etc.) should be relatively well met beforehand.
This should be done at night, when you have no other obligations left in the day. Leave yourself about 3 hours to have the experience and its after-effects. The setting should be peaceful, and there should be little chance of you being disturbed. Darkness and relative silence is optimal.

The Preparation:
Neaten up your tripping location. Close open books, neaten piles, clear the floor of obstacles. Neutralize precarious objects, put away potentially dangerous ones. Make your room a neutral, but comfortable place to be. Make your bed.

~~~
Throw a half a cup or about a handful of dried Salvia leaves into a small pot with a mugful of water in it. I like to let the leaves rehydrate before turning the heat on. Bring the leaves and water to a gentle simmer and simmer for about 5-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. A little foam is good. When done, pour into your mug through a metal strainer (not a coffee filter). You can put a peppermint tea bag in the bottom of the cup.

[Mint is in the same taxonomical family as S. divinorum, so there is synergy in both taste and effects. Menthol, present in mint, also is a mild kappa-opioid agonist, like Salvinorin A. A Nexian also just posted that menthol may help with buccal absorption. Make Salvia with mint!]

Presentation is important. Use a saucer if you have one. And do not rush the tea-making process. It's a ceremony in and of itself.

In Mazatec ceremonies, it is traditional for Salvia to be prepared by children. For this reason, I have made it a habit to have the tea "blessed" by someone I see with a particularly young/innocent energy. Or, it helps to do it in their vicinity. In the Mazatec ceremonies they keep a very close watch over the people taking the medicine. They sit very close and make sure they stay somewhat rooted in reality.

Consumption:
Beforehand, it helps to brush your gums and cheeks with a toothbrush to get the blood flowing there and expose them to the good stuff in the tea.
Sit down and sip your medicinal brew. Use a spoon and let each spoonful linger in your mouth, seeping into the crevices of your cheeks and gums. Hold it in your mouth for 10-20 minutes, if you can. Afterward, you can swallow it or spit it out. Remember, the psychoactives are mainly absorbed through your mouth, not your digestive tract. I recommend swallowing, as the liquid will pass over the back of your throat, a sensitive membrane when it comes to absorbing psychoactives.

This is where it's perfectly fine to keep asking yourself "Am I feeling it yet?" Overwhelming your system with Salvia is not the goal. There is no risk of under-intoxication. You may not even finish the cup. The goal is to invite Salvia into your space, but remain present as well. You are meeting Salvia halfway for a sort of dialog. Your participation is important--it is your job to listen and look. Do not expect to be overcome with anything like with other psychedelics. Rather, gaze into the darkness and listen into the silence for the textures of your mind.

The Experience:
You are probably more under the influence than you think you are. Many times I have done Salvia with other people, they claim they don't feel anything when I can clearly see a clear change in mood, posture, tone of voice, etc. This is especially true with the tea, where the effects certainly sneak up on you. Each sip of the tea takes about 2-3 minutes to come on. After 10 minutes of sipping, you will probably feel the full effects by 20 minutes.
During the experience it is important to fulfill any seemingly insignificant desires, especially physical. If you feel compelled to assume a certain position, do it. If you feel antsy and want to pace around, do it. If you want to turn off all the lights, do it.
Interacting with other people is fine for brief periods, but always return to your own space.

The After-effects:
The main effects last for about an hour, but the tapering off is extremely gradual--Salvia may be with you until you fall asleep. In fact, oftentimes the afterglow can be more insightful and spiritually nourishing than the main experience, which itself can be quite mysterious, like a dream. The period afterwards is where you slowly wake up from the dream, piece together the symbols (if there were any), and let your conscious mind awaken to the new wisdom in your mind.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:05:20 PM by RhythmSpring »

Offline mudhen

• View Profile
Re: A Suggestion for Addiction After-Care
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:56 AM »
Hi Rythym,

All so beautifully said. I respect, understand and appreciate the care you described in setting up for the experience. I have learned also that I can approach salvia in a way I hadn't before.
Thanks for this.

m

Offline TS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:44:17 AM »
Hi RhythmSpring,

Thanks for the interesting and detailed write-up. I think it's great that, even though this is essentially an Iboga forum, we can discuss other entheogens as well.

I too heard lots of horror stories about smoked Salvia and always thought it would be something I would steer well clear of.  However, I have heard that it is much better to quid or make a tea with so I would like to try it in future.
It would be great if you could recommend a provider (by PM if necessary).

Also, how long after or before Ayahuasca would you need to wait before using Salvia?  I'm looking to find deeper insights and changing certain behaviour patterns.

Many thanks :)

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:57:08 AM »
Hey, TS- I think at least one of the sponsors of this site (Maya Ethnobotanicals and Cerberus Extracts) carry Salvia leaves.

As for Ayahuasca, some people have the guts to *combine* Salvia and Ayahuasca, and claim that they work well together. I'm sure this is usually the case, but I like to keep them separated to really focus on the energy of one medicine. Personally, I wait a week after taking Ayahuasca to take Salvia, and 2-3 days after taking Salvia to take Ayahuasca. The oral/buccal Salvia experience can be a good cleanser as preparation for an Ayahuasca journey, potentially.

mudhen- Thanks! I'm appreciating your contributions to this site lately.

Offline TS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
Hey, TS- I think at least one of the sponsors of this site (Maya Ethnobotanicals and Cerberus Extracts) carry Salvia leaves.

As for Ayahuasca, some people have the guts to *combine* Salvia and Ayahuasca, and claim that they work well together. I'm sure this is usually the case, but I like to keep them separated to really focus on the energy of one medicine. Personally, I wait a week after taking Ayahuasca to take Salvia, and 2-3 days after taking Salvia to take Ayahuasca. The oral/buccal Salvia experience can be a good cleanser as preparation for an Ayahuasca journey, potentially.

mudhen- Thanks! I'm appreciating your contributions to this site lately.

Offline Alexandra Lost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
While I can't really speak against the judicious use of etheogens to deepen mediation as part of after-care without being hypocritical, I think judicious is the key word.

I don't post much but I follow this forum and there is pattern I see frequently where a week or so after the flood, when the glow is wearing off -- of "Ok, that didn't work, what drug shall I take next?"  This is the addiction talking. The addictive brain is always thinking ahead -- it's not this drink that is going to make me feel better, it's the next one".

An important part of kicking the addiction is to learning to be with and ride out an uncomfortable mental state. Reaching for a drug every time you feel bad hampers your ability to develop the other tools you need to live addiction-free.

If you do this long enough the new patterns start to kick in and you find yourself reacting differently without consciously thinking about it. It's kind of awesome when this happens to me and I reflect on it later. I recently went through a kind of horrific family tragedy ( the kind of thing my family is known for ) and I didn't even have to fight the urge to drown my sorrows in alcohol or opiates. The first thing I did was reach out to my friends ( new friends, people I met after I quit taking drugs ) for comfort and support.  The situation was stressful and it sucked and I wished things were different but I realized I needed to process a lot of stuff quickly and drugs weren't the answer.

Just my two cents, probably not a popular opinion but it worked for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:37:07 AM by Alexandra Lost »

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
That is a really good point, thank you for bringing that up. If you have people to talk to in times of need, that is really the best thing to do.

I'm offering this recipe really as sort of an Iboga-lite. If someone needed a short anti-addiction remedy, taken without any Ibogamines in their system, that is what this is for. This is for if someone can't afford Iboga, but really would like chemical assistance in helping stay away from their vices.

Salvia is by no means a comfort. It's by no means a feel-good drug. For this reason I feel okay about posting this recipe on this forum. Salvia itself just isn't pleasant. What is pleasant is the insight it brings and the benefits we can make in our lives according to that insight.

Offline ddraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
While I can't really speak against the judicious use of etheogens to deepen mediation as part of after-care without being hypocritical, I think judicious is the key word.

I don't post much but I follow this forum and there is pattern I see frequently where a week or so after the flood, when the glow is wearing off -- of "Ok, that didn't work, what drug shall I take next?"  This is the addiction talking. The addictive brain is always thinking ahead -- it's not this drink that is going to make me feel better, it's the next one".

An important part of kicking the addiction is to learning to be with and ride out an uncomfortable mental state. Reaching for a drug every time you feel bad hampers your ability to develop the other tools you need to live addiction-free.

If you do this long enough the new patterns start to kick in and you find yourself reacting differently without consciously thinking about it. It's kind of awesome when this happens to me and I reflect on it later. I recently went through a kind of horrific family tragedy ( the kind of thing my family is known for ) and I didn't even have to fight the urge to drown my sorrows in alcohol or opiates. The first thing I did was reach out to my friends ( new friends, people I met after I quit taking drugs ) for comfort and support.  The situation was stressful and it sucked and I wished things were different but I realized I needed to process a lot of stuff quickly and drugs weren't the answer.

Just my two cents, probably not a popular opinion but it worked for me.

Alexandra Lost, well said. I completely agree. Iboga itself showed me this, though it took me a while to integrate. Your own story has helped in my own recovery. Your use of iboga, in homeopathic doses is how Bwiti use it, if they use it all after being initiated, since it is a spiritual practice, which at it's core, is based on teachings from/via iboga not on it's consumption. Yann Guignon, who is many many years Bwiti shared this with me who has the fundraiser to save iboga in Gabon, and I strongly urge everyone here to donate please: http://www.gofundme.com/saveiboga

Repeated floods should not be needed, but I can understand to a degree why some people slip up (including myself) since we do not have the deep spiritual support structure and experiential understanding in the modern mainstream society yet which can sustain an experience that seems anathema to everyday experience living in Babylon. Well there are groups like AA that for me, being on the iboga-glow I resonated with and sustained me, until I found other avenues to get to root causes.

An important part of kicking the addiction is to learning to be with and ride out an uncomfortable mental state. Yes! And is that not part of the iboga healing, revisiting these states during life review. Some of my biggest healings since then were also whilst being present (in the moment and authentic) to relive, ride out and consciously feel/be aware of those states to integrate them. Its amazing how much I have not been present in my own life, and how unconscious I have been. The exceptions have been the various periods after taking iboga, doing my 5th step in AA, my Mankind Project initiation and a few times inbetween.

Fortunately I have recently found a simple way to be present, shared from a man (who had peyote help him show him the way), via solely breathwork and intention. I feel just like I did during the iboga-glow, body feels glowing and Im present and connected to my emotional body where I can consciously process those states without judgement/condition and also access insight better and mental clarity. Its a great time we are living in, so much is coming out into the mainstream to help people reconnect. And its great that we have plant teaches like Salvia, Iboga, Peyote to kickstart everything.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:40:11 PM by ddraig »

Offline mudhen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Well said, Alexandra, and beautifully expanded, ddraig.

I love seeing words like this here. Yous guys have given me a needed updraft of gratitude for today.
Thanks for speaking the 'unpopular' stances, of hard work and self examination, and all of it.

Love to you.
-m