Author Topic: Magnesium and NMDA Receptors  (Read 1998 times)

Offline ryu

• View Profile
Magnesium and NMDA Receptors
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
Hi all,

Heres a little discovery I recently found. Magnesium works as an NMDA receptor antagonist like our friend Iboga. Magnesium binds to the receptor site and acts as a buffer against the stress response, meaning that it makes someone who is prone to stress and anxiety a little more resistant. Magnesium regulates over 300 biochemical reactions through their role as enzyme co factors. As a whole our species is severely lacking in magnesium. Western diet and low quality soil means we dont get the quota we once did. Dairy seems to play a big role as Calcium reduces Magnesium. The stress response also plays a part and it is thought in some circles that Magnesium is deliberately used/lost when we come across a fight/flight situation, the loss of magnesium heightens the fight/flight response so we react quicker. The problem we have here is that with the pressures of modern life our fight/flight response is constantly being pressed and we have no sufficient methods of replacing the magnesium to rebuild the buffer, which in turn means Chronic anxiety/stress/depression and adrenal fatigue.

There are a number of types of Magnesium that are available. The most used tend to be Magnesium Aspartate and Citrate. They have a nice calming effect on the system. Magnesium oxide is to be avoided as its not well absorbed by the body

Take care not to take Magnesium with Dairy as it seems to lose some of its magic.

The seems to be a number of research papers that are suggesting that the NMDA receptors play a primary role in mental well being and the next generation of antidepressants could be based on this research.  Interestingly enough Ketamine also works on the NMDA Receptors and is being used as an effective antidepressant. The Caapi vine in ayahuasca and its Harmala alkaloids also work on the NMDA receptors.

Peace and Love,

Ryu

Offline Bancopuma

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Magnesium and NMDA Receptors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:01:31 AM »
Hi Ryu,

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. It seems part of the therapeutic and stress relieving effects of floatation tanks may be due to the magnesium content of the Epsom salts used for buoyancy in the tank, as well as the deep relaxation and sensory deprivation. The skin is able to absorb magnesium directly from the tank water itself. I've heard cannabis use can deplete magnesium, and that cocoa is a rich source of it, something I have most days. Interesting though, I'm going to look into this more.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:41:25 AM by Bancopuma »

Offline ryu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »
Hi Bancopma,

Good to hear from you bro. Yes, I have had a few experiences in a float tank and I must admit Ive felt lighter than air afterwards. The sessions in the tank also brings on open eye visuals. Its a really interesting experience.

:-)

Ryu

Offline Bancopuma

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Hi Ryu,

Very interesting to hear! I very much want to have a float session and hope to make floating a more regular practice, so you've definitely stoked my motivation furnace! I have a feeling floating will be a great ally for meditation and dream work and projection, I'm intrigued to try it. 

:)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:06:30 AM by Bancopuma »

Offline ryu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »
Hey bro,

I went to a place in my home city called float beyond. They used an I-sopod tank. Its a very strange experience. You feel like your suspended in midair, no sense of the body, sight or sound. My heart beat was amplified. At first, the mind cries out for stimulation but then there is this overwhelming sense of peace and quiet and then colours and animations like a lava lamp begin to form. Joe Rogan is a big advocate of float tanks. He eats cannabis before entering the tanks. Brave man lol.

I would recommend it to anyone :-)

x