Author Topic: Iboga treatment while sick? (cold, not withdrawal)  (Read 4845 times)

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Iboga treatment while sick? (cold, not withdrawal)
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
Just a quick question.. What are your thoughts on performing an Ibogaine treatment on someone while sick? My medicine is due to arrive any day now and I've been trying to set up my treatment for the past 8 months or so. All the puzzle pieces have finally, and with much difficulty, fallen EXACTLY into the right place for this to work for me. The only thing I'm worried about currently is that the sitter I have lined up, the only one I could find, can do it this weekend and this weekend only. If not this weekend I will probably have to wait a month before I do it, which if I have to I will, but I've been waiting so long and these cravings are kicking my ass so bad I hope it doesn't come to that.

Anyway, my question.. I have had a lingering head cold for over a week now, and it still seems to be getting worse.. Mostly just sinus congestion, sinus headache... Nothing too serious, although I do feel like crap in the morning before i take some pseudoephedrine or phenyephrine or something for the congestion, and by the time I go to bed my nose is usually clogged up again and I've developed a pretty nasty sinus headache. If I still have lingering symptoms come time for treatment, what are your guys' thoughts on proceeding vs. waiting?
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Iboga treatment while sick? (cold, not withdrawal)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
Well, this is only a guess, but I would bet that taking the ibo might actually help fight the cold.  It has only made me much healthier, and I haven't even caught a cold in a long time.  I haven't taken it while sick, though, so I can only wager a guess..  I doubt a cold would complicate things too much, unless you had a nasty cough, which might be rough while under the influence, as coughing would mean moving a good bit, which might cause some nausea..  I'd wait to hear more responses, though, since I am no provider and lack experience in this area..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the quick response. I was kind of thinking the same thing; that it could actually help the symptoms. And yeah, like I said.. It's not a nasty cold or anything. No cough, no nausea.. Really sinus congestion and related headaches are my only symptoms. It's more annoying than anything. As far as sinus congestion goes it is fairly bad, but I've had worse. It's just weird because it's been lingering for so long. But I'm pretty sure I caught it from my dad, and it started for him about 2 weeks ago and he's finally pretty much over it. So if mine takes the same timeline I should be feeling better come treatment time. More thoughts still appreciated though.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Sounds like allergies or sinusitis? I lean toward the theory it may help it, but if it is severe and there is fever, no way. If the symptoms are aggravating but not particularly serious, like affecting breathing, I would deem it safe. I would discontinue the pseudo ephedrine at least 24 hrs before treatment. Just my opinion. Good questions friend.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:16:58 PM by calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
Hi digital!

I agree with Cal re: the Sudafed.

HOWEVER ! ! !  Stay far, far away from phenylpropanolamine, which is no longer sold OTC due to risk of stroke.

Phenylephrine is also a bad one.  It is used as a vasopressor to increase blood pressure.

Pseudoephedrine (the original Sudafed in the US) is probably the safest of the three, but check the label to be sure that's all that is in it.

The fewer drugs of any kind in your system the better.

One final thing:  It will help to relieve congestion and encourage sinus drainage if you keep your head elevated with a few pillows.  An angle of ~30 degrees was apparently used by pre-historic shamans seeking visions  --  that should also be about perfect to keep your head clear while still allowing you to relax fully.

GDad is also right-on with the ibo helping the cold.  It is more than a little likely that the ibo will both eliminate symptoms and give that pesky cold the coup de grace.

Please do let us know what happens, it will be some excellent info to share with others in a similar situation.

In Friendship,

Eon

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, I will certainly keep you posted.. The sinus problems are fading but not gone, so I'm guessing that come treatment time, less than 48 hours now, if they're not all gone, they will certainly be insignificant, but I will certainly report back regarding them. In fact, you can be expecting a full trip report afterwards as soon as I'm feeling up for it... Package is due in tomorrow, hotel booked for the day after. Wish me luck!

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:35 AM »

Hello Digital,

I am wishing you the best, let us know about the cold.  I think you'll do GREAT.

best,

Roy

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
Well, today is the day.. Cold symptoms are diminished but not entirely gone.. The sinus congestion mostly cleared up, but the drainage has led to a slightly sore throat, with a tickle that won't quite go away, and a small, loose cough. So I figure I'm good to go, I'm just hoping that the iboga helps mask the symptoms during the experience, because having some nagging cold symptoms in the background would probably be quite annoying.. Anyway, expect a full report back within a few days. Thank you all for your help and encouragement!

Offline riverhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
I'll go ahead and reply anyway-- do NOT take cold meds today with your ibogaine.  There's too much we don't know about the heart and ibogaine-- no sense adding in stuff that aggravates your blood presssure.

Good luck!!

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
So you've begun, my friend. My prayers are with you. See you on the other side.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
Many blessings on your journey, digital_phreedom!  May you get the healing you need!  Can't wait to hear all about it!!
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
Well, as expected, cold symptoms were minor but still present the day of treatment... but the iboga took care of that :-)  .. no symptoms during or after the experience whatsoever! My report is up in the journals forum.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »
Awesome!!  I had a feeling it would help!  Congratulations!
GratefulDad

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
Aha!  At last!  The Holy Grail of medical research:  A cure for the common cold...

Very glad your experience went well!    ~et