Author Topic: ibogaine for ocd  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Jooba

• View Profile
ibogaine for ocd
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Hi,

I know people use ibogaine mostly to cure drug addictions but Ive read that it can have success with ocd too. Has anyone here without a drug addiction taken iboga to help cure something else?

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: ibogaine for ocd
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »
Weeeellll, I used to drink alcohol, so I don't know if my experience will count for you, but I also had a compulsion I couldn't shake that Iboga resolved. I would have to curl all my fingers in a pattern in to the palm of my hand, then repeat with the other hand. If I couldn't, for any reason, do both hands I would feel extreme discomfort and have to wash my hands and start over. Weird, right? I went to some lengths to make this not noticeable to the world at large.
Ibo resolved this, and I hadn't even thought of it since til you brought this up.
So, thanks for that. :)
I've heard lots of other people get relief as well, but just sharing my experience.

Tia

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
I was diagnosed with OCD when I was about 11 or 12.. back then it was terrible. It was actually affecting my everyday life in pretty easy to spot ways. After some medication.. some kind of SSRI, I forget which one, and behavioral therapy, I was able to get things to a controllable level, but I've definitely lived with obsessive tendencies ever since. Some were even still noticeable by others, especially when living with a significant other or something.

But yeah, Iboga has definitely helped me make some headway with it. I don't notice it nearly as much as I used to. I won't say it's wiped out, but definitely not even a problem currently.. It wasn't that the Iboga just stopped the problem for me, but the way it has altered my thinking and perspective allowed me to put in the work myself to make the changes come about. I was able to objectively examine these obsessions and compulsions, and really look at them as if seeing them for the first time and from an outside perspective. Upon examination, my thoughts were almost universally "Well.. I can see when and where this started to cause me problems, and why it's stuck around for so long.. but uh.. It's also ridiculous. So uh, no more of that". It seemed to be that simple.

That's just me though.
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline Jooba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Not bad, sounds promising.

My ocd is very very bad and has gotten worse over the last 3 or 4 years. It affects my day to day life heavily. Ive always wanted to try something like Iboga or Ayahuasca but I have an ocd fear that stops me. I get ocd based fears that tell me I will either die or go completley and utterly insane if I try one of these things. One of my big ocd fears is that I will turn into a vegetable if I try iboga and then live in my own head in a dream world. I have several other major obsessions (crazy ones!) and Id say my day to day life is HARD. Maybe I just came here for people to reassure me that Ill be ok. What were your experiences like when you guys actually tried the Iboga? What did you see? Where did you go to do it? Im scared of Iboga, but then again Im scared of everything else, I need to do something DRASTIC to get my life back.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:03:56 PM by Jooba »

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:22:14 PM »
I have eaten a shit ton of psychedelic drugs, in way excessive amounts, for the better part of 18 years, and I feel wonderful, even a bit more enlightened.. 

Iboga has shown me crazy visions..  My first time I saw muslim radicals shooting off heavy artillery, while I felt like I was hiding in a sand bunker.  I saw huge fat middle eastern people, in these elaborate colored halls, with huge feasts on the table.  Not much made a lot of sense, but the real healing came after the visions. 

The last two times, I had very light visions.  Like I would see faces float by, or see a person float by with my eyes closed.  I could see through my eyelids, at one point, where I could turn my head and look around the room, with my eyes completely closed and I could still see everything in the room.  The anxiety of waiting for it to kick in, is way worse, than when it actually kicks in.  I felt comfortable, and amused the last couple times.  I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, the last two times, and even the first one, while a bit scary, never really got too overwhelming.  I even puked on and off, my first time, for 18 hours..

My first time, I did it with Sara Glatt, over in the Netherlands, in her home.  The last two times, I did it at my home.  Iboga is not nearly as dangerous as people would like to make it seem, but there are a few precautions you can take to be a bit more sure for yourself.  Such as a kidney/liver function test, EKG/ECG. 

I am not fearful of iboga at all, honestly, myself, just because I have faith and trust in Iboga.  It feels good to me, and I know the effects have greatly improved my life, so I am definitely not fearful.  Most of the people who are afraid, are the one's with very little experience, or trust in the plant.  It simply comes down to whether you will let the iboga do it's work, and if you will decide to work with it, or if you will deny it's abilities, and fight it.  The choice is yours, but I am thoroughly pleased I have had the opportunity to partake, especially more than once. 

I hope it can help you as it has me, and various others I talk to.  Welcome to Eboka!!
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Jooba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing grateful. I think my fear comes from the ocd itself more than the idea of trying iboga. Ive had opportunities to try many things in life but my ocd will start putting crazy and powerful fears in my head, its paralyzing at times. Im full of anxiety all day.

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
What GD said. ;)

Sometimes the fear of something like Iboga can also be fear of seeing what's down there, what's inside.

Where do you think OCD comes from? When did it start for you?

To me, it seems OCD is all about having control, keeping control. What do you think?

Like GD said, trust in the wood is helpful in letting go. At flood dose levels, Iboga takes over, period.
When I did my flood, at home, with an inexperienced sitter (which I will not repeat, ever), the very scariest part was 'coming on' to Iboga. I felt like I was being asked to let someone else fly the plane, and the plane was me. After so very many years of maintainning tight control, this was terrifying. When I finally 'got there' though, all was amazing. I felt supported through the whole experience by the spirit of the plant, who was there for questions (never verbal) and with humor showed me so much about myself.

peace and grape cigars,
Tia

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
Hi Jooba and welcome to the Forum!

Any anxiety you may feel about using iboga can be minimized by a few things.  First, check your health.  Are you healthy enough to use iboga?  Second, you may want to 'test the water' with a smallish dose first, say 2g TA (for Total Alkaloid extract).  Third, make sure you have someone you trust and can confide in to act as a sitter.  Use iboga in an environment that minimizes your fears, be that your home or somewhere else.

Are you using SSRIs for the OCD?

Since OCD is a habitual mental process, you might want to look into BrainWave Entrainment (AKA Binaural Beats) to alleviate the symptoms.

http://eboka.pkeffect.com/index.php/topic,296.msg2624.html#msg2624

The Neuro-Programmer demo has sessions for addiction, which might be useful to you since addiction often shares similar thought patterns to obsessive conditions.  Also, the sessions for anxiety and meditation may be helpful.  Just getting into ANY other mental state  --  i.e. getting out of your OCD rut  --  may be helpful.

I have found the Schumann frequency of 7.83 Hz to be very helpful in quieting my mind before meditating or going to sleep.  I am thinking that using a Schumann BWE session prior to iboga use, possibly right after dosing, would be an excellent thing to do.

This is a very interesting topic, I am hoping to hear more...

Sincere Best Wishes for You!

Eon

Offline Jooba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
What GD said. ;)

Sometimes the fear of something like Iboga can also be fear of seeing what's down there, what's inside.

Where do you think OCD comes from? When did it start for you?

To me, it seems OCD is all about having control, keeping control. What do you think?

Like GD said, trust in the wood is helpful in letting go. At flood dose levels, Iboga takes over, period.
When I did my flood, at home, with an inexperienced sitter (which I will not repeat, ever), the very scariest part was 'coming on' to Iboga. I felt like I was being asked to let someone else fly the plane, and the plane was me. After so very many years of maintainning tight control, this was terrifying. When I finally 'got there' though, all was amazing. I felt supported through the whole experience by the spirit of the plant, who was there for questions (never verbal) and with humor showed me so much about myself.

peace and grape cigars,
Tia

My mom has a serious case of ocd and I think being around her behavior and anxiety since birth is what affected me. My mom was EXTREMELY overprotective, didn't let me do much at all, and worried constantly about everything. Her family is also very religious. When I got a little older I became really socially awkward and didn't really go out or do much. I was also very overweight in high school because I had nothing to do but eat and play video games.
I grew up hanging out mostly with my cousin who is even much more socially awkward than myself because my aunt is worse than my mom.My aunt has two sons, the younger one is 23. He comes over to my house and she starts calling him and telling him to come home at around 11 or midnight. We live on the same street ffs! Whats gonna happen to him?? I tried to take him out drinking one time and he wouldnt stop bugging me to take him home because he said his mom kept calling him. 
I think being around all of this shit had a negative effect. Maybe I do want to control something because with my mom her answer to everything was NO. No discussion, no compromise, just NO. I don't hate her for it anymore. I know now she has the same disease as me  and that's what drove her behavior, but it still fucked my shit up.
A psychiatrist wants me to do a 6 week intensive cognitive behavioral therapy treatment. He says it treats the compulsions well but isn't so effective for the thought obsessions. Its the thought obsessions I want to kill, the compulsions don't bother me as much. Thats why Im looking for something that will treat me on a much deeper level.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:26:37 PM by Jooba »

Offline Jooba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »
Hi Jooba and welcome to the Forum!

Any anxiety you may feel about using iboga can be minimized by a few things.  First, check your health.  Are you healthy enough to use iboga?  Second, you may want to 'test the water' with a smallish dose first, say 2g TA (for Total Alkaloid extract).  Third, make sure you have someone you trust and can confide in to act as a sitter.  Use iboga in an environment that minimizes your fears, be that your home or somewhere else.

Are you using SSRIs for the OCD?

Since OCD is a habitual mental process, you might want to look into BrainWave Entrainment (AKA Binaural Beats) to alleviate the symptoms.

http://eboka.pkeffect.com/index.php/topic,296.msg2624.html#msg2624

The Neuro-Programmer demo has sessions for addiction, which might be useful to you since addiction often shares similar thought patterns to obsessive conditions.  Also, the sessions for anxiety and meditation may be helpful.  Just getting into ANY other mental state  --  i.e. getting out of your OCD rut  --  may be helpful.

I have found the Schumann frequency of 7.83 Hz to be very helpful in quieting my mind before meditating or going to sleep.  I am thinking that using a Schumann BWE session prior to iboga use, possibly right after dosing, would be an excellent thing to do.

This is a very interesting topic, I am hoping to hear more...

Sincere Best Wishes for You!

Eon

I refuse to take SSRI's because from what I can gather, they do more damage than good. I was actually thinking of going to one of those treatment facilities to take iboga because at least someone can monitor me there. That might calm my fears a little bit. I also read about people microdosing and thought maybe I could try that. Im not sure yet, I have to learn more about iboga first. Thats why I came here to get advice.
In the mean time Ill check out those binural beats and see if they help. Thanks for the link.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Greetings and welcome Jooba!

I had done iboga for opiate addiction, and frankly that's all I cared about iboga 'fixing' at the time. I had no idea the scope of power that this plant possesses until after. Things happened that I would consider 'peripheral' to my primary 'condition' - behaviors that truly verged on the subliminal were  basically massaged away by the iboga process. Part of OCD is that is so insidious, habitual and almost involuntary. I was not looking for iboga to work on such a sublime level, I only wanted it to get rid of the acute withdrawals. It did so much more. I have never been diagnosed with OCD but I did notice many of my previous compulsive behaviors simply were not there after my treatment. Little, maddening things like counting the steps, always having to move in the same specific patterns, things that bordered on superstition - they simply we not there afterward. My brother had a nervous habit of biting his fingernails, and he has not done it once in years since his ibogaine tx. Things like that we never considered would be mended by iboga, mostly because other things eclipsed expectations of this medicine.

The breaking of long held habits and patterns is one of the great hallmarks of iboga/ibogaine. Addiction and OCD are like peanut butter and jelly I think, and far beyond just aiding in the physical processes of chemical withdrawal is the unique ability iboga has for helping to break these ongoing, sublime habits. I know it is 'indicated' (or I should say suggested) for things like OCD, PTSD and a slew of other fun neuroses. Though the 'small' ways in which it surprised me took a back seat to what I originally intended the tx for, I would certainly say that it is well within the Medicine's repertoire to negotiate such conditions.

As the popularity and information spread concerning iboga I think we are seeing it used more and more for psycho-spiritual development and 'treating' things other than addictions. Indeed it is myopic to categorize such an array of potential into any one field, when the full spectrum of its properties is so much more than that. So I suppose all this yammering is just to say that 'yes' I for one believe that iboga can be of great use to those seeking it for the purposes of shedding the bonds of OCD, at the very least it can be a cornerstone to the process of recovery for a variety of conditions. Welcome aboard, very glad to have you!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:15:26 PM by calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Nganga Nobunoni +

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
Caution on micro-dosing Iboga for OCD' as this can add to the "eternal' internal struggle"

A flood dose leaves the head blank' hence wipes out the bio-electrical OCD patterns within the body and psychi'

Bliss!

+NNM+

Offline mo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
dear jooba,

i am very interested in how iboga will work for you.

my partner is in a similar situation and has very similar fears and anxieties (especially about becoming a vegetable)

to me my personal experience and the anecdotal evidence suggests that it will work in a very positive way.

i believe that the obviously compulsive/aggressive/dysfunctional behavior is affected and replaced much easier by iboga. it is the subtle deep personal foundations that are hard to come by, i believe.

i believe that the more obviously dysfunctional is in a way simple and stupid. at least that is what i associate with it. the brain/mind/soul is capable of wonderful character and complexity. i come to the conclusion that the strongly aggressive needs to be so to impose it's power. great aggression great fear, all to keep you small. if it was smart it would act in subtle ways.

behold if you should rise up and fight back!

by all i can tell from what i have read and from my single experience: iboga will pull you right through everything. that is the promise that we have.

however, this all is just my gut feeling and insight. your experience with iboga, or my partners will tell us more. it might take a while in our case, and it might not happen at all, but if it does, i will let you know.

may i be strong and overcome my fears,
i might find myself facing them one day,
fighting for my life,
fighting for my freedom,
a fight worth fighting,
may i be strong and victorious!
full, full of strong love - that comes to stay!
in a universe like ours, to beings like us, the idea of a god dying can be quite liberating