Author Topic: Hi ! Iboga in assisting recovery from mental illness and anti-psychotic withdraw  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Hi philippe - I am sorry to hear you had a rough time, those are always scary experiences. I know something about panic and it is always difficult to handle. Did you have someone sitting for you, or were you alone? It seems to me that perhaps this was done in over-haste? I am not certain because I only have limited information to go on, but it sounds like: maybe you heard about this material and became excited to try it but 'rushed' in to an experiment with it? I am not calling you out - contrary- I hate to hear of anyone having such a hard time, on anything. I know what it is to panic and flip out, I have taken that ride to the ER myself...good times. And expensive!

I'm glad you're okay. Safe and sound on the other side of a scary trip. But it saddens me to learn that you lost interest in iboga. Maybe it isn't for you, and that's okay to be sure, but...how did this all come about? If you are inclined to discuss some things then maybe we here could help you understand better. Iboga is not like other things, not remotely. It is a peerless teacher and staunch advocate for US to live our lives happy and free. And it delivers.

I would be interested to learn of your set and setting, if you were alone or with a sitter, what (if any) other drugs/medications were in the mix etc...and also - do you have any prior experience with hallucinogens? That in my mind is often overlooked or simply discounted by some people, but I do think it is important. Not to say that one needs to have previous trips under their belts, but familiarity with deeply altered states of consciousness does have it's benefits and usually people who are at least somewhat used to them will more readily accept these changes when they occur. Thanks for being here and sharing your story with us. We all are here for the same reasons, to heal and be healed. Bless you!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:44:37 PM by calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
Yup, what Cal said, with love.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
No one said it was a fun ride!  Love to hear more details.  I kinda like it, but it's not like it's fun..  Well, at least not for everyone..  It can help heal ya, though..  My guess is from all the anti-psychs your brain was probably made worse.  I mean, I guess some people truly have chemical imbalances and all that, but often people with loads of psychological problems, I believe comes from their inability to process difficult or traumatic experiences properly, which manifests itself as these symptoms you describe.  I don't know if iboga can cure you, but it won't for sure, if you can't deal with the issues that arise and work through them.  Kinda what Nobu said.  I don't have near the experience, nor all the scientific data to back it up, but I feel it in people, who complain of loads of problems, that I know well.  Usually it is a mind state they are unable to work through that causes them the stress and symptoms and when faced with the truth and truly wanting to understand, they often open up and become much more alive when they realize how they are processing this thing we call consciousness..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Hi Philippe & a belated welcome to the Forum!

You have not posted in a while, but I am hoping that you still look in.  Your original post was very interesting and I have wanted to respond for a while, but could never seem to find the right words.  I would like to address the following paragraph from your first post:

"I have gone through difficult experiences along the way: insomnia, mania, hallucinations, paranoia, panic and anxiety to name a few.  I also gone through a lot of beneficial experiences involving visions, profound insights and what I would describe as "universal story telling". I also had an experience which I called "lucid dreaming" where I was awake in the dream that is my reality. I also faced and released a great deal of difficult emotions."

Everyone has experienced insomnia, mania, hallucinations, paranoia, panic and anxiety at one time or another, whether they admit it or not, whether they acknowledge it or not.  That you mention those conditions suggests that they were neither infrequent nor brief.  It further suggests that these states were debilitating or at least an uncomfortable hindrance.  There are three basic causes for such states, I contend.

The first cause is pathological.  That is, the states are caused by genetic factors or trauma (physical, chemical, biological) that resulted in organic, structural anomalies in the brain.  Modern science is incapable of directly correcting such anomalies.  The best that current technology can do is provide medications that mitigate such conditions, such as increasing a deficient neurotransmitter or blocking one that is overabundant.

However, there is something else that can done in this situation.  The brain is a wonderfully plastic and adaptive thing.  A few people with less than one-half of their brains intact (hydroencephalus) can adapt to live 'normal' lives.  People who have lost the speech centers of their brains from stroke can learn to use other areas of the brain to speak again.  What would be required is that one learn how to control and direct what goes on inside the mind.

The second cause is acquired conditioning.  In this case, the brain and its neurotransmitters and circuits are not defective, but brain functioning is distorted by external or internal events.  Childhood victims of abuse sometimes acquire abnormal states as a defense mechanism, as do adults such as soldiers who develop PTSD.  Indeed, even a bad relationship can lead to an unhealthy mental state.  If such mental states persist over time, they become the dominant, default state and become difficult to change.

In addition, the brain is like an ecosystem.  Changes in one part lead to changes in other parts.  There is a cascade effect: thoughts of dire consequences lead to anxiety which then leads to panic and insomnia.  Unabated, long-term anxiety can lead to depression in one person and to rage in another.

In cases of acquired conditioning, the medical profession is a wee bit better able to help.  Adept counseling can sometimes identify the root cause of the unhealthy cascade and help to eliminate it.  Additionally, psychiatric drugs can sometimes reduce the intensity of the unhealthy state and enable one to heal, like putting a cast on a broken leg.  In such cases, it is often the person being treated who determines when to cease medications.

Again, if one can learn how to control and direct the mind, there would be no need for shrinks or drugs.

The third cause is not one that can be found in any current, orthodox medical texts.  I personally have seen things that would be described as hallucinations by the medical/scientific community.  What I saw was not caused by photons hitting my retina.  What I saw, however, I truly believe was real.  I say that because the other 99.999% of the time I see what other people see.  My interpretation of such visions is that there are dimensions in the universe that are invisible to our senses.  That though those dimensions are either too small or too large for our senses to perceive directly, there is some 'bleed-through' or 'crosstalk' that does occur.  Since the brain is unused to displaying such other-dimensional information, it translates it into a format that is accessible, such as visual images.

So Philippe, even though the doctors thought your visions were aberrant and abnormal, there exists the possibility that you are clairvoyant.  The important thing here is determining if you are seeing and feeling things that are illusion or reality.  If they are not real, learn how to eliminate them or possibly put them to good use (movies, cartoons, art (Salvidor Dali?)).  If they are special perceptions of reality, learn how to control and direct them.

Now we come to the pitch.  The thing this has all been leading up to.  I, you, we, he, her, they, us are all like paper in the wind until we take control of our minds.

And how do we do that?  Only one way I know of:  go see a mental technician.  They can be found in the phone book under 'Buddhist'.  They have established techniques to tame, control and direct the mind.  Forget thoughts of 'religion'.  Buddhism is a body of techniques for rectifying and refining awareness.  Once you have the ability, you will be able to directly understand what the religious power mongers, proselytizers and zealots do not.  And don't worry, the Buddhists will not expect you to believe in 'hidden dimensions' or any other such crap.    :D

And, if you do happen to be clairvoyant, they are ready to work with that, too.

While reading about Buddhism, Zen and Taoism is a start, you will only develop mental control by doing the practices.  While beneficial, having a teacher is not necessary.  There are exercises that are described in books that will get you started and provide substantial benefits.  I will be glad to provide references to books I have found valuable.

I am looking forward to you reaction to what I have written.  Hope it was helpful.

Peace & Clarity

Eon
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:35:36 PM by Eon T McKnight »