Author Topic: Iboga 101 - Spiritual Use: Preparations and Approaches  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Cernlion

• View Profile
Iboga 101 - Spiritual Use: Preparations and Approaches
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Please excuse the cheesy title ;) I just have a few questions about how Iboga can be used to journey inwards for self-discovery and the best way to approach it -

If one has no experience of Iboga, what do you see as the best introduction - with the help of a facilitator or self-prepared with a sitter? What if you don't have access to a sitter?

Can you recommend practices that could be employed beforehand to get the most out of the experience? i.e. Setting intentions, fasting, meditation, breathing and physical exercise etc

Thanks in advance,

Cernlion

Offline The Extractor

• View Profile
Re: Iboga 101 - Spiritual Use: Preparations and Approaches
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Cernlion,

In my opinion the best way to approach Iboga is, as a somebody.  Let her be the guide and a teacher, put your trust and faith into her, she will lead the way.  But she can't do it without you!

The best introduction to Eboka, after doing all the due dilegent research, is to actually get to meet her in a nice micro-dosing fasion.  That could be anything from taking very small amounts for an extended period or taking a semi-larger amount(s) just to see your bodys reaction to her. 

Self-prepared or a facilitator is just fine, comes down to personal preferance and other factors like availability and monetary situation.  Sometimes, it could be more beneficial to do it several times with a sitter rather than doing it ones with a facilitator, especially price wise.  In my opinion a good guide, if available, could be very beneficial but certanly not a necessity, like i mentioned earlier, she is the guide!!

As far as, pratices.  Just make sure that you are in a good overall shape to be able to partake in the flood, which is somewhat heavy on the system.  Taking smaller doses beforehand could provide you with an idea where you are standing with her. 

Think about good positive intentions of why you want to partake in the experience, she is not judgemental, so whatever, works for you.  Eat somewhat healthy, if you can, beforehand and have at least a 6 hour fast before the flood.  Especially on the day of the flood, try not to have any junk food or anything too greasy.  Also, try not to be overhydrated or underhydrated, somewhere in the middle, so you don't have to get up to the bathroom too much. 

Meditation and light physical exercises leading up to the experience could prove to be very beneficial also. 

Purchasing some root bark and doing your own TA extract could be the best cheap and efficient way of doing your first initiation. Not too hard on the wallet and not too strong on the system.

Of course, all of this is just my take on it.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »

Hi Cernlion,

Read and learn all you can.  Whatever you do do not do it alone specially the first time for you have no idea what it is like.  It is not like acid or anything you could imagine.

As for setting, be in a quiet, dark room and be in a good mood.  Never take Ibo when your in a bad mood.  An Ibo Experience is not to be taken lightly, it is an ordeal.  Since your not kicking drugs you should come through with less difficulty and easier on the body.

Please do not take it alone, have a sitter.

Best,

Roy

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »
If I may, I'd like to ask about fasting.

Is it okay to fast about a week before an Iboga flood? Has anyone here done that before? Would it be too taxing on the body? Or would it make for a really clear, positive experience? Btw I am 21, weigh 118 pounds, and have fasted several times before for up to 10 days.

Or a 3 day fast perhaps?

Offline Cernlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the all advice Extractor and Roy, I'll be sure to put it to good use.

Offline The Extractor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
If I may, I'd like to ask about fasting.

Is it okay to fast about a week before an Iboga flood? Has anyone here done that before? Would it be too taxing on the body? Or would it make for a really clear, positive experience? Btw I am 21, weigh 118 pounds, and have fasted several times before for up to 10 days.

Or a 3 day fast perhaps?

Hi RhythSpring,

it is my understanding that if you do fast especially as a Spiritual Dieta, kind of a fast.  It is possible to sensitize your body to the point where you might not even need a lot of the plant material in order to get to where you want to go.  So be carefull.  But to answer you question.  Yes, you can certanly fast just don't completely exhaust yourself out for safety reasons.  Listen to your body. 

A Spiritual Dieta could also be a great way for "hardheads" to avoid taking insanely large amounts in order to have a good journey.  Oh, and it does work!

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

Hi All,

This is just my opinion and I am sure everyone has one.  I would say do not fast, keep your body strong.  Maybe go 6 to 8 hours without eating before taking Ibogaine.  Why fast for a week when you come out of the Experience you will eat very little and sleep very little, now if you go without food for a few days after the Experience it will take it's toll, you will feel much weaker and maybe drop a few pounds.  Do your routine stuff and let Ibo do it's job. 

Hey, if your smoker of tobacco you will have the power to give it up.  It may also change your eating habits which is a good thing.

Wishing you the best,

Roy

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I'd like to chime in here.  Some people will not eat for days or sleep for days, generally addicts.  People who are not kicking drugs will often snap back much faster, and won't experience any of the negative feelings that addicts feel after iboga. 

Fasting can be beneficial, however, I personally think that giving the body proper nutrition before iboga, and proper hydration are very good for such a powerful experience.  I would suggest fasting prior to the experience, and then returning to a diet of nutritional or healthy foods, before actually flooding.  Or even fasting after the experience, once your body has been cleaned of toxins by the iboga.  Not eating the day of the experience can make it easier to get in and absorb, but weakening the system by fasting prior could make the experience a bit more difficult to endure.

GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline The Extractor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
Great points on fasting roy d and GD!

However, it also does depend on how one is to fast.  Consuming nutritional plants like Suma root during a fast can provide one with just about every piece of daily nutrition necassary for the body!

Also fasting, especially a Spiritual Dieta, doesn't always necessary invole not eating at all.  It's ok to eat, just not over eat.  Also, it is about limiting ones intake of sugar, salt, spices, animal fat and sexual absentine. 

One could be very surprised on the effects of doing this for a day, if not used to it. 

I personally think it might even be ok to have some fat, very little sugar, salt or spices.  Some fat is necessary for the body (like 2% or so of daily intake).  The idea here is to limit oneself from these things. 

Edit:  Also, wanted to mention that fasting can also trigger bodys own mechanism for healing and nurturing itself. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:40:00 PM by The Extractor »

Offline RhythmSpring

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input.
I did some introspection the other night when I was dealing with "I should fast, fasting is spiritual" and also "I'm hungry and skinny and I should eat." I realized there is no absolute, only the absolute of what I want at the deepest level. I decided to eat according to what I REALLY wanted, not what I thought I wanted to or what would satisfy things other than hunger, such as anxiety or boredom.

Realizing that my appetite is rather sluggish (due to not exercising for the past few months (due to arthritis)), I decided to eat lightly, when my stomach felt ready. So far my staples have been apples, avocados and coconut water. It is monday night, and I plan to flood wednesday night. Eek!

Offline mo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:58 AM »
may your flood bring what you need.
may you be strong.
some are even calm..
bless you
in a universe like ours, to beings like us, the idea of a god dying can be quite liberating

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:51:37 AM »
I have never been big into the fasting, cause I am pretty thin anyways, so I get hungry easy.  I hate being in the middle of a trip and having my belly growling.  Iboga numbs you pretty good, so it probably won't bother you right away, but it can be hard to eat for a minute, and the trip often lasts a good 2-3 days.  I don't think I wouldn't eat before undergoing an iboga experience, but that's just me.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."