Author Topic: voacanga to ibogaine  (Read 7759 times)

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
voacanga to ibogaine
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »
anyone attempted this?

i am just on my way to purchase a load of voacanga and try converting to ibogaine.

seems like a lot of work, but nothing too complicated.

"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
Re: voacanga to ibogaine
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »

You must be a heavy kitchen chemist or a semi real chemist.

Roy

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »

You must be a heavy kitchen chemist or a semi real chemist.

Roy

had biology and chemistry in the university. couldn't finish my bachelor, but chem and bio coupled with heroin addiction and unhealthy fixation on drugs led me to discover the magic of experimental basement chemistry, lol.
"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline ele

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
How did this go?

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
Copying and pasting from a response I gave to someone else a few months back with a similar question:

"They're able to extract the voacangine out of the bark fairly easily, and can do so without killing the tree in the process. And then the synthesis to Ibogaine is supposedly quite easy. I'm not sure about the potassium thing, but I have a fairly basic knowledge of chemistry, and found this a little while back, and it makes sense to me.

"Voacangine has a molecule which is the same as ibogaine except there is a
group, -CO2CH3, hanging off, where ibogaine has only a -H atom. If this
group is removed, then voacangine becomes ibogaine. Boiling voacangine in
alcohol which contains lye causes the CH3 to fall off and be replaced by an
Na, so now there is a -CO2Na dangling from the ibogaine molecule. If acid
is added, the Na is replaced by H to give a -CO2H group. When warmed
gently, this group releases carbon dioxide, CO2, so that only the -H is
left, and ibogaine is obtained."

For anyone who wants more info, here's a link to the rest of that article http://www.puzzlepiece.org/ibogaine/110897.html"

And:

"Even more info on this subject.. If you know a little chemistry, this is a very good read.
http://www.puzzlepiece.org/ibogaine/110797a.html"

Hope that helps!
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline ele

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
I saw that thread and was wondering if anyone here had actually tried it. I read those links though I don't exactly understand all of the second one.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I need someone who knows how to use a chromatography column to tell me how to separate the voacangine from the other alkaloids in the Voacanga plants.  Once this is accomplished, the conversion seems fairly simple..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline ele

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »
What would happen if it were done without separating?

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:22 AM »
After investigating tissue culture a bit, this has really gotten my interest as a much more productive way to acquire iboga alkaloids affordably. Voacanga alkaloids (quoted on this site as 90 voacangine and 10 percent voacamine but I really don't trust the salesmanship of this vendor, h++p://psychoactiveherbs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=97_89) are availale for 15 dollars a gram. I'm assuming the voacamine would undergo a similar reaction and change to ibogamine. Also, I think that some online chem suppliers sell pure voacangine cheap, but I really don't know how to navigate or use the RC market so I can't find a price quote.

Does anyone know of a reliable assay of pure voacangine?

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:20 AM »
From what I understand, Chris Jenks, said that the voacangine must be isolated, or the other alkaloids do not covert, and it ruins the reaction.  I can't remember specifically where I read that, but I am sure he mentioned this either in an email or in one of his talks.  I am not sure where you can get pure isolated voacangine, either..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
This site also sells a voacanga extract: h++p://www.ktbotanicals.com/voacanga-africana-10x-extract-p-117.html

Does anyone have any experience with ktbotanicals or psychoactiveherbs?

PS voacamine is extremely similar to voacangine. I am not a professional chemist, but I doubt it would cause any problems.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:50:51 AM by rho »

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
In chemistry I don't really think there's such a thing as being "extremely similar"... Perhaps structurally related, but nothing in chemistry can be so alike. It only takes one atom to completely change the way a molecule behaves. I'm no experienced chemist, but I'd imagine the chances of a botched reaction are much higher when working with multiple naturally occurring alkaloids all on the same substrate, no?
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:21 AM »
screw the extract, hunt down a reliable chinese chem house selling pure voacangine. both cheaper and sparing the tedious work of purifying the alk. at least that's what i intend to do. from there on, seems fairly simple.

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Any luck finding a voacangine vendor, tryl? I looked pretty extensively and couldn't find any that accept orders less than like 25 kgs.

I've learned from Chris Jenks that the voacangine content in voacanga rootbark is very low. The total alkaloid content is 5-10 percent usually, but voacangine is only a minor constituent.

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:03:57 AM »
Any luck finding a voacangine vendor, tryl? I looked pretty extensively and couldn't find any that accept orders less than like 25 kgs.

yea, got one that sells 0.5kg and above.
generally look around lookchem.com, chembuyersguide.com, alibaba.com and ec21.com
or hit me with a PM for details.