Author Topic: Hi! My name is Eon, and I'm addicted to cigarettes  (Read 15646 times)

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Hi! My name is Eon, and I'm addicted to cigarettes
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
ME:  Hi!  My name is Eon, and I'm addicted to cigarettes.

YOU:  Hi Eon!

ME:  With the exception of two years total, in periods lasting at most one year, when I have been 'clean', I have smoked cigarettes or cigars every day of my adult life.  I wanna stop!

I am hoping that y'all might have some helpful ideas for me and other depraved, cigarette junkies like me who want to get off the stuff.

What do y'all think about taking a small (the smaller the better) amount of root bark (RB) every morning to stop smoking?

Would it supress the craving for a ciggie?

I have also wondered about using regular, small doses of eboka for use as an antidepressant.  It would seem to me that at least some of the long-term beneficial effects from doing a flood dose of RB would be mimicked by small daily doses.  I don't expect minimal doses would eliminate intense opiate withdrawal, but it might just work w/ ciggies or depression.  The idea is to do just enough to eliminate the nicotine urge, but not enough to create problems driving, operating heavy machinery or doing brain surgery.

Knowing if such a regime works would be a wonderful thing  --  I'm thinking of the millions of tobacco junkies like me around the world.  I know I would not have anywhere near the problem ordering 28g of dirty-looking plant material than ordering just 1g of white powder  --  you see where I'm going with this I expect.  Potentially lower costs  -plus-  less heat  -plus-  negligible concerns of a medical emergency  -plus-  treatment that's totally convenient.

I remember explaining the evils of cigarette smoking to my kids (as I smoked a cigarette) and telling them that they would be richer than God and beloved by millions if they came up with a cure for cigarette smoking.  Me, I only wanna be richer than Bill Gates and beloved by  --  well, ah, I won't go into that right now, ah, but I sure hope she doesn't smoke...  Cigarettes or cigars, that is...

PS  --  Please don't limit discussion to the very theoretical proposal above.  Any and all methods for exorcising demon nicotine are welcome.  With respect to eboka, I have heard that the urge to smoke is decreased significantly after a flood, but it appears that if 'quitting smoking' was not on the agenda, the ibonaut frequently resumes the vile habit.  Your thoughts and advice?   ~eon
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:53:11 PM by Eon T McKnight »

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! My name is Eon, and I'm addicted to cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Smaller doses of iboga may help, and for me, it made them taste horrible for weeks, after maybe half of a normal flood dose..  After a full flood dose, I quit cigarettes, but it still took me 5 months.  I just gradually began waiting longer and longer before I let that urge take over.  I had cut from a pack a day, to about a half a pack.  I then slowly reduced by a cig or two a day, until I was not even buying them, but bumming a smoke once or twice a day.  I also took a small chillum (straight small cannabis pipe), and would take a couple tokes off that (cannabis) to help with the oral fixation and urge to smoke.  It tasted a hell of a lot better, and I soon had quit cigarettes for 3 years..
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
Good stuff GD and Nobu - so that's why cigs taste like shit after eboka!

Who knew?  They are definitely extra nasty, and - ironically- hard to smoke. I have noticed excessive sneezing and all kinds of side effects that aren't normally there...must be what a non-smoker experiences around it!

I have also heard that, Eon - about people not quitting because it was not something specifically on the agenda during a flood. Also I have heard that if one smokes any time during the experience (flood) that it will be more difficult to quit afterward...makes sense.

I haven't as yet given them up, but everything in it's time. It's a shitty, dangerous, and expensive habit. I think the microdosing described above sounds great. Nobu nailed it when he said do not go for more than 10 days or so without giving it a break. You will know: one begins to feel fatigued and a bit 'spun' out as it were, then it's time to back away for a minute until you catch up on some rest, etc...good thread man, and good luck!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
Dad & Nobu, thanks for you comments!

While I am planning on using a flood soonish (hopefully within weeks, not months), a kind and compassionate soul sent me 10g of root bark (RB) so that I could become acquainted.  Quitting tobacco has been one of my prime objectives for the eboka flood, but I can see no downside to quitting now.  Why wait?

"It made them taste horrible for weeks."  I have heard that before and it gives me hope.  If I was convinced that 10g would be sufficient to have that effect, I would do so.  Instead, I decided to go with using small amounts on a regular basis.  I'm also looking off down the road to booster doses and getting to know eboka.

Nobu, I was glad to see your recommendations, especially the "pinches under the tongue" part.  I took 1g at 8:30 this morning.  It is now 11:30 AM and while there seems to be a subtle background energy present, there are no overt, identifiable effects from the dose  --  this is good.  The objective here is not to get high but to quit smoking.

One interesting thing is that, from time-to-time, I can sense the eboka in my system.  I want to use the word 'taste' to describe it, but there's also a distinctive scent, sort of earthy and spicy, very similar to kola nuts.  It's pleasant, maybe I should bottle it and sell it as cologne?  (I'm actually sort of serious here, if the scent is left behind when extracting the alkaloids, why not?  Waste not, want not.)

One question (for now) Nobu:  Should I refrain from alcohol while on the gram-a-day regime to quit smoking?

Nobu, I did get the link, thanks!  However, I do believe that the definitive paper on binding properties of eboka alkaloids has yet to be written.  A sad thing, given their numerous benefits.

My Best to All!     ~ ET

PS   Cal, you rascal!  You sneaked that post in on me!

Let me just say that your statement "if one smokes any time during the experience..." rings true to me.      ~et

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
PS   Cal, you rascal!  You sneaked that post in on me!
  ;D

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
Saturday
8:30 AM   1g RB in 000 gelatin capsules w/ juice on an empty stomach.

10:00       Feel a tad different, still under threshold.  No ciggy craves.

12:00 PM  Feeling hunger, have a sandwich.

12:30       Really STRONG craving for ciggy.  Took 1g RB.

1:00         Definitely felt the second dose, threshold has been passed.  Put threshold at 1.5g for now.  Ciggy crave gone again.  Phew!

~2:30       Feeling light and good.  Happy & a tad silly.  No apparent impairment, can read small print, type, walk & chew gum.

~3:30       Ciggy craves starting.

4:30         Ciggy crave quite substantial.  Took 500mg RB in hopes it will be sufficient.

5:30         Craving continues, took another 500mg.

6:30         Craving no better.  No effects noted from last 2 doses.

6:45         Decide to wait till tomorrow for more RB.  Had ciggy.  Relief from craving!  Added tobacco pouch.

9:00         Almost back to baseline.
               Later, had 2 more pouches and the last ciggy in the house (I think).
Sunday
9:00 AM     Took 2g RB

10:30         Dozed-off for a bit, maybe 45 min.  Still at baseline.  Feeling tobacco urge, took pouch.

11:00         Still around baseline, no tobacco urge, still on first pouch.

12:00 PM    Still around baseline, no tobacco urge, still on first pouch.  Wondering if food is helpful in 'pushing' RB into system?

12:20          PB&J sandwich on delicious French bread  --  YUM!  1g RB for dessert, see if I can repeat yesterday's spike in effect after eating.

5:42            Lounged around, read a little, napped a little, hit the web, nothin' much.  No increased effects from last dose (or food).
                  No ciggies all day!  Just 3 pouches.

At this point, I have 4g RB remaining.  I will put it into eight 500mg gelcaps.  Gonna try to stay ciggy free and just use pouches.  I think that their slower uptake and longer effects will enable me to taper off successfully.  All the ashtrays are empty and ready to be washed (might take a coupla weeks or so, hehe).

Evidently, there was a tolerance to the stimulating effects of the RB, since increased dose on Sunday did not have the same effects as Saturday.

I'm now planning on taking the rest of the RB in doses of 500mg - 1g daily, in the morning, until it runs out.  I am curious to see what the 'cumulative effect' that I have heard about is.  After this weekend, I foresee no problems using 1g per day for a while.

I have used Reminyl (galantamine) for its nootropic action.  I found out that reduction in nicotine craving was a side-effect.  The problem was, using enough to quell my tobacco urges for a day would result in rather unpleasant gastric events.  Oh SHIT!

Reminyl is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor which also affects the nicotinic receptors.  I was hoping that eboka would have a similar effect since it is said to act on nicotinic receptors, too.  However, with the very limited experiments I made, any such effects were limited, at best.  Perhaps such effects are only evident at larger doses?  Or low doses over a longer period?

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »
Hey McKnight -

Nice breakdown man. I'm curious to see how it works out for you. IME the super low doses of iboga are barely felt until it accumulates and then I have noticed that kind of spun feeling, letting me know it is time to lay off...though when I microdosed it was on 1g of TA daily so that was a bit more concentrated than 1g of bark. It may be that dosing like that with just the Wood will be gentler.

This stuff is just amazing to me, the various wonderful ways it can be used and so many gifts it gives us!

As for galantamine -if it is working to bind at some of the same receptors that eboka does, would there be any 'competition' for those areas do you think, or perhaps they would work in harmony? This is an interesting area of exploration. I have been interested in nootropics but haven't as yet studied anything about them. If you're disposed to break it down (what you know about them) it'd be kewl if a thread was started...Something else: ever hear of Rhodiola rosea (goldenroot)? It is not a nootrpic but classified as an 'adaptogen'. I used some last summer after my first flood and it is said to help 'realign' opiate receptors among other things.

I can say that I 'think' it helped but it is difficult to know for certain. I only had one bottle of the caps and after that I just didn't pick up any more. Though in retrospect it does seem like it helped. It seems to bring about a homeostasis through whatever action(s) it employs - but again, another round of work with it would probably be the only way to tell if it's making a difference and I seem to remember it being somewhat pricey. Thanks for taking the time to relay this stuff bro - best of luck on your journey to smoke free!

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »
keep on keepin' on, mceon. I want to hear monday's report!! im still smoking cigars, but less and less. next flood, i'll set intention and see what I can see, so to speak.
cal- a g ta?? hardly microdose, lol. that's like 300mg ibogaine, if ta is good. microdose. ¤chuckles¤
i've eaten ta and rootbark with food and without. onset quicker on empty stomach, but effects very similar, if not same. not a waste at all in my experience to take with food.
now, wash those ashtrays! part of what helped me pick up tobacco again was having it and its paraphenalia around me all the time. something I will change when I am serious about quitting.

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:24 AM »
What, me wash?

That's why God, in Her infinite wisdom and compassion, gave us paper plates.

Good News:  No ciggies today!  Pouches yes, but NO CIGGIES!

I almost gagged when I got into the car to go out for dinner tonight, ashtray FULL of butts.

This will be the first time off the butts with a support group for, ah, for support.  Yeah, that's it, for support!

Thanks for being there!

Eon

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »
Nobu, I noticed you've suggested taking hot baths, but unfortunately, my water in the bath tub doesn't come out all that hot.  I need a new knob to stop the flow of cold with hot, so best I get is lukewarm.  Should I start boiling pots of water on the stove?  How much does it help?  I know I felt chilled for a few days after my methadone detox (tapered down to 12 mgs a day), but it wore off probably within a few days or so. 
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:26 AM »
Thanks for clarifying your point about food, N. I don't get cravings for opiates or alcohol, so I didn't note that. :p
I still get the same stimulant effect with or without food. And the same introspective effect. And the same reconnective effect. While I certainly can't speak for everybody, I'm equally certain I am not the only iboganaut who responds this way. As far as nicotine cravings, just morning and p meals. I'ts more a behavioral habit and emotional pacifier than a physical addiction.

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
Just before I woke up this morning, I was dreaming that I was in a strange city.  I had no cigarettes but enough cash to buy some and was going from store to store trying to find one that sold cigarettes.  Boo!  Hiss!!!

If only finding ciggies in the real world was so difficult.  At least junkies aren't confronted with a colorful rack full of loaded spikes at every gas station and convenient store...

A wee bit of research on the web revealed that only 35% of smokers are able to quit during the course of their lives.  The degree of dependence and difficulty of withdrawal have genetic components.  Here's an abstract that struck a chord for me:

"... depression may sensitize patients to the adverse effects of stressful stimuli, and that this can be relieved by drugs that stimulate dopamine release in the forebrain. This mechanism, it is proposed, contributes to the increased craving for smoke in abstinent smokers exposed to such stimuli, because they become conditioned to use this property of nicotine to produce rapid alleviation of the adverse effects of the stress. The review also explores the possibility that chronic exposure to nicotine elicits changes in 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) formation and release in the hippocampus, which are depressogenic. It is postulated that smokers are protected from the consequences of these changes while they continue to smoke, by the antidepressant properties of nicotine. However, they contribute to the symptoms of depression experienced by many smokers when they first quit."

http://psycnet.apa.org/?fa=main.doiLanding&uid=2000-15835-008

Nicotine withdrawal does not last for days, an article in Scientific American (May 2008) states, but can be measured months after tobacco cessation.  Certain neurological changes persist in the brain for years and increase relapse susceptibility.  Do not underestimate the addictive power of nicotine, studies with rats show it to be more powerfully addictive than either heroin or cocaine.

Nobu, you made a statement:  "Eat Iboga with food you no kill the cravings' eat Iboga without food' the alks bind to the nicotinic receptors and you stop craving."  Tobacco is certainly not affected by eating and I don't know of any alkaloid that is.  I am not aware of ANY drug whose receptor binding properties are affected by food  --  absorption, yes, but binding no.  Food can both slow and increase the rate of absorption in the gut.  I think you plucked the idea about food preventing the effects of eboka out of the air and it is incorrect.  Objective data on the subject would be appreciated.

Please pardon my recent pissy attitude.  I get this way for a while  --  usually till I start smoking again.

But first, I have a couple cards left to play...         ~et

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »
With hands in pockets, downcast eyes and a hanging head I must admit I started smoking last Friday.  In my defense, it was for humanitarian purposes.  It was either start smoking again or kill someone.

Sigh!

This is not the end.  I may have lost this battle, but not the war.  We have nothing to fear except fear itself, or some such BS.

To be continued...

~eon

Offline x

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
I gave up cigs, and now smoke cigars. Like Nobu said, it okay to think well of yourself, even if nicotine addiction hasn't left the building.

If quitting cigs is your only unacceptable vice, and you want to focus on getting over cigs, there's a book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It's helpful. It's why I don't smoke cigs anymore (yeah, I know cigars). It uses repetition and a kind of hypnosis that works by reading. It's an easy read.

Wish I had more for ya than that. You're in my thoughts, Eon.

T

Offline Eon T McKnight

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
Thanks Guyz!

I guess this proves that my statement about being addicted to cigarettes was 100% true.  Wish it was a lie...

I came up with a new approach:  Will the techniques I have been using to halt my internal monologue/chatter and unhelpful emotions work for ciggy cravings, too?

Since I am presently more motivated to learn mental control than anything else, maybe it would give me an edge/leverage that was lacking before.  I am also planning another lowish dose of TA.  Ever pulled both triggers on a double-barrel shotgun?  Whooeee!  Helleva kick!  Maybe strong enough to kick them ciggys?

Vamos a ver!

To be continued...               ~et

PS  --  Tia, are you implying that I possess some acceptable vices?      :D       ~e
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:21:43 PM by Eon T McKnight »