Author Topic: another extraction thread  (Read 5343 times)

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
another extraction thread
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »
so, i got a bunch of rootbark in my possession. got it from a vendor in cameroon that was recommended to me for the potency and quality of his product, the rb is supposedly harvested in gabon.

currently making the extract while preparing for another flood.

and i wonder. why is the acetic acid method most widespread? as i have the feeling it pulls with it a lot of unnecessary and  biologically inert substances, e.g. i would guess saponins and tannins among others, which are tough on both the stomach and the liver, which are also not my healthiest organs to begin with.

and since, apparently, the active compounds are also soluble in methanol, wouldn't it be better to go that way?

i might be mistaken here, but thought i'd ask.

anyone tried a MeOH pull?

"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline roy d

• Banzi
  • Just do the best ya can
    • View Profile
Re: another extraction thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »

Hi Tyrl,

I take it you do the RB AA extract because your on a RB budget, right?  The HCL may cost more but you can get it 98% or so.  Also, the PA may be right for you or maybe even the TA.  The RB is a harder way to go.

as i have the feeling it pulls with it a lot of unnecessary and  biologically inert substances, e.g. i would guess saponins and tannins among others, which are tough on both the stomach and the liver,

I'm not sure about the above, sounds about right but most people only use RB for detox as a last resort but it is great for the craving monsters.  There are more complex methods but I have never used them or even the AA.  I am sure you could Goggle a few.  Just be careful when dealing with acids and boiling alcohol, wear goggles even though you really don't need them, at least for the first few times if you go that way.  And if you consider the cost it may be a lot less hassle getting the more pure form, of course I would rather drive a new car than an old one - ya get what you can afford.

Wishing ya the best,

Roy

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Hi tryl, welcome!

I think the acetic acid tek is so popular because it's hard to screw up and there are very few steps involved. Yes indeed it pull out tannins and fats, other inactive plant stuffs but it beats the hell out of eating all that wood. Plus it doesn't take that long or require any sophisticated gear or chemistry...I have never done it using alcohol or any other solvent but I am sure you get a cleaner, more pure end product if you wanted to put the time and energy into it...I, for myself, just wanted to reduce the amount of wood I had down to an 'eatable' amount haha...and it worked. You could also do the acetic extract then purify that with some kind of solvent wash, etc...I'm no chemist by far, just a layman that had some experience with pulling goodies from plants, hopefully others will chime in here who know more. Chris Jenks has an extraction vid out here somewhere, I thought I had it bookmarked...I'll see if I can find it. Good luck to you!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »

i got most chems analytical grade, so i started with ~50% dH2O diluted glacial acetic acid. figured since its so popular, it should work fine. though im thinking the methanol route might be more reasonable?

well, here's some valuable info worth keeping in mind i think (a sticky for me at least):

Ibogaine has a melting point of 153°, a pKa of 8.1 in 80% methylcellosolve,
and it crystallizes as prismatic needles from ethanol. Ibogaine is levorotatory [?]D
–53° (in 95% ethanol), soluble in ethanol, ether, chloroform, acetone and
benzene, but it is practically insoluble in water. Ibogaine is decomposed by the
action of heat and light. Ibogaine hydrochloride decomposes at 299°, is also
levorotatory [?]D –63° (ethanol), [?]D –49° (H2O), and is soluble in water,
methanol, and ethanol, slightly soluble in acetone and chloroform, and practically
insoluble in ether (2).

no harm in trying it out with a small amount tomorrow i guess.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:28:16 PM by tryl »
"Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept." –Molloy

Offline roy d

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »

Hi Tyrl,

I don't know much about chemistry but wondering if you or anyone else knows why 98% Ibogaine is not crystals or close to it.  How pure must it be to be crystals?  Should one take 98% and turn it into crystals would it be ok to smoke it?

Just curious,

Roy

Offline sister

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
LMFAO...  what addicts we are.
life is a bowl of fruit, once clean

Offline roy d

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

Hi Sis,

No, I am not being disrespectful to the plant, not anymore than making 98%.  I was wondering if it would help with the nausea and vomiting.  I would never take Ibo for a buzz, it is too hard on the system.  See, God made mushrooms to enjoy yourself with and have peace and contentment and Ibo to interrupt addiction.  All together differ purposes.

Best to ya Sis,

Roy

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
i'd take ibo over mushrooms any day. :P

don't mix well with shroomies.

and no roy, smoking it, at least using direct flame, will probably destroy most. maybe use a vaporizer adjusted to the appropriate temp. but even then i wouldn't be eager to try it. too sudden and abrupt a come up i'd imagine. i'm nowhere in a hurry when it comes to things like that, lol.

Offline roy d

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

Hi,

It depends on what your after.  Mushrooms do not end cravings or alter habits.  But Ibo is not a fun ride for me, maybe more like boot camp.  Mushrooms have been very nice to me.

I don't think I would want to take a big hit or maybe even a small one.  I usually let those who come up with the stuff take it and the how filters down to me.  My first Ibo Exp was...well bizarre as were all the others.

Best to ya,

Roy

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »
they can, potentially.

anything that allows you to condition and metaprogram yourself can do that. :)

i've stayed clean from H for nearly an year after a single mescaline session.

Offline sister

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »

Hi Sis,

No, I am not being disrespectful to the plant, not anymore than making 98%.  I was wondering if it would help with the nausea and vomiting.  I would never take Ibo for a buzz, it is too hard on the system.  See, God made mushrooms to enjoy yourself with and have peace and contentment and Ibo to interrupt addiction.  All together differ purposes.
Best to ya Sis,
Roy
       Roy... not judging ya babe.. just made me giggle.  I prefer Shrooms over iboga too.  So far iboga has not been enjoyable for me but for sure I needed it, (as you know).  It has changed the way I look at life and what my part in it is.  I cant say I am looking for to using iboga for smoking.. I just have not will power over smoking.  I will do it, do the flood and not hold back with it. 

LOVE YA
life is a bowl of fruit, once clean

Offline tryl

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
i've had an easier time on iboga than i have ever had on mushrooms.

weird, huh?

feel ya about the smoking. i only recently began feeling the damage this crap causes me, yet i still don't cut down on them.

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 03:16:20 AM »
OKay, a few things.  First off, if one does the acetic acid extraction, then adds ammonia, the freebase and some plant gunk falls out.  Then this extract can be taken and mixed in acetone, and filtered.  This will leave any plant soluble materials.  Then hydrochloric acid is added to the acetone and the crystals of ibogaine, ibogaline, and ibogamine fall out.  this is chilled overnight and filtered.  this will give a very clean extract without much other plant material.  if more puriy is desired I also added a way to go further.  It's posted in the other extraction thread.  Also, the pure ibogaine can grow needle-like crystals, however they must be grown very, very slowly.  WHen the crystals are precipitated from the solvent quickly, they are so tiny they look like powder, but if they are grown very slowly by slow evaporation or other means, then they will grow larger and look more like crystals.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline roy d

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »

Hi Sys,

So far iboga has not been enjoyable for me but for sure I needed it

Yes, Ibo is a rough ride but needed, I know  Exactly how you feel - OUCH.  It's like boot camp, not as much fun as Gomer Pyle would have you believe.  How on Earth can a person take 28gm of RB and 10gm of the TA.  I really believe that if I took more than the 1.5 of the HCL ..... well I don't know what would of happened, what comes after MAX??  But at 1gm it was not that bad, in fact I got the Ibo glow.  I got up and said Wow, I'm clean, no suffering but that .5 made a big difference.  It took a week or 10 days to straighten out and I had pain in places I never had pain before. 

One thing you gotta say if a person takes 28gm of RB or 10 of TA they are motivated, you can tell their trying. lol

Best,

Roy