Author Topic: First Experience - mega purging.  (Read 3362 times)

Offline switchjohnny

• View Profile
First Experience - mega purging.
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
I followed the vinegar extraction method to make a TA from my root bark.

I was going to take what would be 30g's worth of RB.

I usually have an iron clad stomach, but after about 1.5 hours in, I started purging. This lasted the entire time, every 10-20 minutes. I was unable to take the 2nd and 3rd doses. They would have just come right back up. I think maybe I botched the extraction. It was very harsh on my stomach. I didn't eat anything 12+ hours before starting, but that's what was recommended.

So other than it being a horrible experience with the purging, I did manage to get some visuals and thus some insightful introspection.

I really wish I could have taken more, I felt I was on the cusp of something really exciting. I have plenty left, but fear taking it in the current form.

The extraction I made yielded about 18g's of what looks like pot resin from 60g's of root bark. It was essentially tar. Maybe I didn't dry it out enough.

I know when you do the vinegar extract, the shelf life of the TA is not very long. I have them in the fridge right so they keep longer until I find time to take them again.

Any recommendations on where to go from here? Dry out the TA more? Complete the extraction into a purer form? Or maybe eat some oatmeal before I take the pills the next time.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:53:25 PM by switchjohnny »

Offline harveyplex

• a bizzy buzzing bee
    • View Profile
Re: First Experience - mega purging.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
You need to let the TAR dry out completely .
I start scraping it when its tar(ish) and let it completely dry in clumps .
Its easier to manage this way in my opinion  .
It really stinks when you go to scrape up dried and stuck to the dish extract and it flies out of the dish !
Wait a while and give it another try .
on my follow up flood (which was about half way to a flood experience in hindsight - 2.4 grams Ibogaworld TA - i couldnt believe how quickly i purged and hard too !!)
You should be feeling some great afterglow though .
Have you slept fully yet ?
how are you feeling today ?
do you have more energy ?
 do you have anger issues (feeling hot headed) ?
do you feel more or less depressed ?
how is your appetite ?
are you consuming alcohol or other substances at at present or since ?
Are you feeling happy & optimistic about things today (afterglow)?
inquiring minds want to know .
much love and continued support .
- harvey Plex

PS . PLEASE NOTE ALL EXTRACTIONS WERE DONE DURING THE COURSE OF A COUPLE DIFFERENT VIISTS TO CANADA .
       AGAIN , ALL EXTRACTIONS AND HANDLING OF IBOGAINE MATERIALS FOREMENTIONED WERE DONE IN CANADA .

( A LITTLE BIT OF AFRICA IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH )
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:05:24 PM by harveyplex »

Offline switchjohnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
Alright, I imagine the TAR is dried out more by now since it is in the fridge (refrigerator is also a dehydrator).

Yes, I have slept fully. I had no issues sleeping on the first or second day. 3rd and 4th days I stayed up a little longer, but still managed to sleep.

I don't really have any more energy, if anything I'm more tired in the mornings especially.

Anger issues (I'm a very mild mannered person), but I wanted to punch a hole in my TV 2 days ago when I couldn't get something to work right. I defiantly noticed the anger.

I feel more emotional which is also very rare for me. I've never been a particularly happy or sad person. More or less on an even keel.

My appetite is the same. I've had a few drinks since the experience (I don't have a drinking problem). I didn't want to drink much though. Gave me a headache. (Also rare)

I do feel more optimistic. There where some tasks I have been putting off for awhile, and I hammered them all out yesterday. So productivity is up.

I'll give the flood another try this weekend perhaps. I'm not going to fast as much though. I think a little food in my belly will make it easier. I'd rather take a little more iboga than feel that nasty tar eating away at my insides again.

Thanks for the reply, It is much appreciated.

Switch.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
18 grams from 60 of rootbark sounds right on the money for that extraction...some folks are just way sensitive to the vinegar - it is too acidic when they have to consume several grams of this particular extract. My guess is you are very sensitive to the high acidity. A light meal a few hours before would likely mitigate some of that harshness. I think GD is sensitive to the acetic acid too, and he can tell you how to take that TA down much lower and concentrate it further by basifying. You will come out with a freebase TA that is more concentrated and you can take less weight for stronger effects. Thanks for sharing with us, sorry you got that sick, that makes for a gnarly ride. I am glad you don't sound discouraged though, that's the spirit  ;)
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline achtwan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »
dust yourself off and get back on that horse!
raise your fears and cast them all away...

Offline switchjohnny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
Alright, sounds like I'm just a big wuss. My stomach must be sensitive to the acidity. Would taking it with some antacids be a bad idea? Would calcium carbonate do anything bad to the iboga?

I'll either eat a light meal, or do a further basified extraction.

Either way, what is a good time frame to wait until taking it again? It'll be a week on Friday, I imagine that's long enough. I may wait until the week after though.

I'm ready to blast away this next time. I got a taste of the experience, and although the purging was bad, I defiantly want to pursue a proper flood.

Switch

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
pm GD maybe for some tips to 'clean up' the extract. The vinegar didn't bug me but it does some people. You're by no means a 'wuss' - nobody that investigates themselves in these fashions qualifies for that moniker...practice makes perfect. Good Luck and keep us abreast!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline GratefulDad

• Dead Head
  • Uncle Sam wants you to be a Shaman!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
Well, after doing the vinegar soaks, one could, instead of evaporating the vinegar, just add ammonia.  The alkaloids will turn into freebases when enough 10% (or stronger) professional strength non-sudsy ammonia is added to the vinegar.  The freebases are not soluble in water and will start to precipitate.  One can either immediately begin filtering it through a funnel with a coffee filter, or they can let it all settle, siphon off most of the clearer vinegar juice off the top, then filter the rest of the solution with the alkaloids through the filter. 

Siphoning after the precipitate settles seems a little faster, but either way will work.  As the filter becomes full of alkaloids the filtering becomes very slow and can take overnight.  Once all the liquid is filtered and the freebase is all caught in the filter, one can run some plain water over the alkaloids to rinse it clean, then set it out to dry.  Once dry, the freebase can be flaked or scraped off the filter and ground up to dry further.  When it's dry, it can be capped and eaten, or could even be taken to further purity. 

Another idea is instead of using vinegar water, is to use hydrochloric (aka muriatic) acid and water and when the extract is dried completely the excess acid turns to a gas without the presence of water.
GratefulDad

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Offline switchjohnny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the great advise everyone, I'm going to give it a 2nd run this weekend. Then I'll write a real journal entry.

Offline digital_phreedom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
One thing I'd like to add..

My first journey went the same way.. I took my test dose, and start puking and could not stop for about 5 hours.. I was verrrry affected by it.. I had also fasted 12+ hours before that experience..

I have since changed the way I take Iboga (and i use this method for Ayahuasca as well now).

I eat normal to light the day before... Then on the day of (assuming I'll be dosing in the afternoon), I will eat a very light breakfast.. And then about one hour before the journey I will eat one or two pieces of toast, with maybe a little butter for taste, and sometimes I also choose to take dramamine to help with the nausea.. This method has really really helped me handle everything much better in my stomach.
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.