Author Topic: Ibogaine and the olympics: anyone history saavy?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
Ibogaine and the olympics: anyone history saavy?
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
I read on some iboga related sites that ibogaine has been banned by the olympic committee. I wonder why this is? I'm guessing it was used as a performance enhancing drug. Iboga has a very good physical effect on me, improving the function of my motor controls and reducing fatigue so I believe it. I bet there is an interesting story behind this, but the internet hasn't given me any useful information. The wikipedia page on substanced banned from the olympics doesn't even mention ibogaine anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ibogaine and the olympics: anyone history saavy?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi rho - can you remember exactly where you first saw this? It does sound interesting, but I am betting that it just made its way onto a 'blanket' profile of Scheduled drugs, etc. While certainly not what I would consider a drug of abuse, its hallucinogenic properties cause huge gaps in people's understanding and perceptions of it, making it look on the surface like any other 'party drug'. Its pathetic. You could be on to something about the potential performance-enhancing. I think the indigenous use it for those reasons - keeping awake and alert on long hunting excursions and taking it to facilitate energy-depleting tasks of various kinds. But only I think under very specific circumstances do they use it that way and I really think it is mostly reserved for the initiation ceremonies and shamanic healing traditions. Good to see ya rho, hope all's well  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:11:51 PM by Calaquendi »
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline JohnnyB.Goode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

Lambarène disappeared from the market around 1966 and the sale of ibogaine was prohibited. 
Since 1989, this alkaloid has been on the list of doping substances banned by the International Olympic Committee, the International Union of Cyclists and the French State Secretariat for Youth and Sports.

full piece

Therapeutic application: Lambarène, 1939-1970

It was during this period, in 1939, that a proprietary pharmaceutical preparation called Lambarène in honor of Dr. Schweitzer, was first marketed in France: it was based on a dry pharmaceutical extract of roots of Tabernanthe manii, with a drug content of 0.20 g of extract per tablet (about 8 mg of ibogaine), whose therapeutic action, dosage regimen and effects were, according to package information, as follows: "a neuromuscular stimulant, promoting cell combustions and getting rid of fatigue, indicated in cases of depression, asthenia, in convalescence, infectious diseases, greater than normal physical or mental efforts by healthy individuals. 2-4 Tablets daily. Rapid and prolonged action, not followed by depression. May be administered to hypertensives."

The fact that it was recommended for physical or mental efforts by healthy individuals rapidly aroused the interest of post-war athletes (Paris-Strasbourg walking race competitors, mountain climbers, cyclists, cross-country runners, etc.).

Haroun Tazieff, elebrated French geologist and volcanologist, Honorary Research Director at  the C.N.R.S. gave the following description of his experience with Lambarène in his book, "Le gouffre de la Pierre Saint-Martin" (Arnaud publ.).

"Go ahead", said André (the expedition's doctor), "it will give
you  strength. And also swallow this, he added as he handed me a tablet. 

Do you think we should already be taking this? Shouldn't we
save it until we are completely exhausted?" 

It was Lambarène, a stimulant, a "doping" agent which was supposed
to enable us to find the necessary strength in our exhausted bodies. 

"No, go ahead, what we have to do is to prevent fatigue. Later
on, we'll be taking some more, regularly..." 

We had just swallowed our third tablet of Lambarène, and we
could feel a tonic effect. 

I hastened, "doped up" on Lambarène, and jumped from one
boulder to the next with renewed agility... 

Despite the Lambarène, I was really beginning to feel worn out
and had trouble scaling the huge boulders which we immediately
had to descend to start on the next one, while insidious cramps
crept along the anterior portions of  my thighs.

I was hoping they wouldn't get worse...

I took another Lambarène. While André climbed up the ladder,
I massaged my legs. Within ten minutes, everything was in order
and in turn I climbed up without any difficulty... 

In spite of the fact that I had swallowed a Lambarène, I really
didn't feel talkative at all. Time flowed on, like a stream. One
hour passed, and so did the effect of the Lambarène..."

And, on this last day, this frenzied race toward our discovery,
these six hours of descent and climbing sustained by Lambarène,
this day on top of all  others, it was terrible...

Only the stimulant enabled us to keep going. When the effect
of the last tablet had passed and I had no more, I was nothing but
a pitiful package of meat miserably dangling at the end of a wire"

Lambarène disappeared from the market around 1966 and the sale of ibogaine was prohibited. 
Since 1989, this alkaloid has been on the list of doping substances banned by the International Olympic Committee, the International Union of Cyclists and the French State Secretariat for Youth and Sports.
" . . . THE ONLY WAY TO VALIDATE YOUR EXISTANCE IS TO ACCEPT THE REALITY OF YOUR NON-EXISTANCE . . . "

Offline Calaquendi

• cosmic elf
  • Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
Very good, thank you JBG!
" I am you and what I see is me..."

Offline JohnnyB.Goode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:51:33 AM »
i do not think they can test for LSD

Doc Ellis seemed to do rise to his best

June 12, 1970 no-hitter
Ellis pitched a no-hitter against the San Diego Padres on June 12, 1970. He would admit in 1984 to being under the influence of LSD throughout the course of the game.[2] Ellis had been visiting friends in Los Angeles under the impression he had the day off and was still high when his friend's girlfriend told him he had to pitch a game against the Padres that night. Ellis boarded a shuttle flight to the ballpark and threw a no-hitter despite not being able to feel the ball or clearly see the batter or catcher.[3] Ellis said catcher Jerry May wore reflective tape on his fingers which helped Ellis to see his signals. Ellis walked eight, struck out six, and was aided by excellent fielding plays by second baseman Bill Mazeroski and center fielder Matty Alou.[4] During the game, teammates (such as rookie Dave Cash) are reported to have commented to Ellis on the bench between innings that he was pitching a no-hitter, despite the superstition that discourages mentioning a no-hitter while it is in progress. Because the no-hitter was the first game of a double header, Ellis was forced to keep track of the pitch count for the night game.[5]
As Ellis recounted it:
I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:53:26 AM by JohnnyB.Goode »
" . . . THE ONLY WAY TO VALIDATE YOUR EXISTANCE IS TO ACCEPT THE REALITY OF YOUR NON-EXISTANCE . . . "

Offline rho

• Banzi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Hahaha good LSD story. I've become more and more aware of how separate motor control is from consciousness and believe psychs very much shift me into a physical mind. My physical therapist was telling me about how there are some people with only peripheral vision, and they cannot see anything in the center of the view. If you ask them if they see a chair in the room, they say they cant see it, but when they walk around they always step aside and avoid it instincually. Peripheral vision doesn't go into the cortex, it goes into a more subconscious animal mind that is responsible for great physical feats.

PS sup Cala :) I still read the boards a lot but I dont find much to comment on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:39:10 PM by rho »

Offline moyshekapoyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
I read on some iboga related sites that ibogaine has been banned by the olympic committee. I wonder why this is? I'm guessing it was used as a performance enhancing drug. Iboga has a very good physical effect on me, improving the function of my motor controls and reducing fatigue so I believe it. I bet there is an interesting story behind this, but the internet hasn't given me any useful information. The wikipedia page on substanced banned from the olympics doesn't even mention ibogaine anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Rho--you are eating ibogaine or whole iboga? I have tried whole iboga from ibogaworld (have yet to try from anywhere else) and it does the opposite for me--kills my dexterity. Where do you get yours? How many vendors have you tried?

Offline Bancopuma

• Donating Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I shared this info another thread when it really belongs here if it is of interest to anyone.

From Erowid:

1989 Ibogaine added to the list of "doping substances" banned by the International Olympic Committee.

Goutarel R, Gollnhofer O, Sillans R. "Pharmacodynamics And Therapeutic Applications Of Iboga and Ibogaine". Psychedelic Monographs and Essays #6. Ed. Thomas Little. PM & E Publishing Group, 1993. 70-111.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine_timeline.php

Offline skinny

• Banzi
    • View Profile
    • Church of Reality
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I shared this info another thread when it really belongs here if it is of interest to anyone.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine_timeline.php

Thanks for bringing this up.  A lot of people who take iboga are consumed with zeal to spread the message, start ibogaine clinics, treat other junkies detox, but don't realize the work of others who came before them.

I learned something new, some scientists isolated ibogaine.  Lambrene, I've heard of...prescribed for depression and wakefulness....and later it took Howard Lotsof, a young junkie, nearly 30 years to come up with clinical trials of ibogaine.  And some self-styled shamans think they can be a shaman by one trip...learn the lessons from history.  I believe in the concept of giving credit where credit is due.

Anyways for further reading, I highly recommend:

The Ibogaine Story: Report on the Staten Island Project
Copyright © 1995-1996, Paul De Rienzo, Dana Beal and Members of the Project
http://ibogaine.mindvox.com/Articles/IbogaineStory/index.html

It gives more detailed history on how ibogaine got popularized by key individuals in the USA.

There's a saying in the community that you "suffer for the medicine", and although I can't prove that, it seems to be true at least in my case and from what I read in other people's journeys.

Sorry I wasn't able to add more insight to the original post.

skinny

your Ctrl-V whore brought to you by Clipmate

Choose Reality:  http://www.churchofreality.org